Winter Trip to Iceland

Search

Winter Trip to Iceland

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter Trip to Iceland

Hello all! I recently decided to take a kind of spontaneous trip to Iceland at the end of February. I've heard that February to March is a peak time for the northern lights, and that this year is particularly promising...so, I figured I'd make the trek and see what I can see!

I'll be spending about a week there (not including travel time). I want to do some of the tours, but I'm on a bit of a budget. I've heard a lot of pros and cons about renting a car in Iceland in the winter, and wanted to know if anyone here's had any experience with this? Some people say it's the best way to go....some people say it's too dangerous for people who aren't used to winter driving. I'm from Texas, so....yeah. We close down schools when flakes appear in the sky. (Side note -- I LOVE the cold and the snow, so don't worry, I won't be shocked by actual winter temps).

If renting a car isn't the best bet, how would one get to places like Vik or Hofn? I know buses run regularly between Reykjavik and Akureyri up north, and tour groups go on the Golden Circle, but...is it true that the regular buses don't really run on the south coast during the winter?

If anyone has any recommendations for fun day trips or tours that aren't terribly expensive, I'm open to suggestions! Also, would it be better to sort of stay in Reykjavik and take tours out, or to try to get lodging in other towns?

Thanks in advance! I'm so excited for this trip...I just want to make the most of it! =)

J. Leigh
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 12:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd fly to Akureyri, if you book early the prices will be low.

I'd take a small golden circle tour which allows you to chat to the driver. Understanding the local culture and society is a real wow and for all the driving you get a 6 to 8 hour free chat with a local (great value).

Stay in Reykjavik, hire an appartment not a hotel but make sure the appartment is near a spa and a bus route to get into the town centre (this allows you to stay in a cheaper area than the centre.

Search out "Mum's gone to Iceland" on this site, gives a good overview
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 01:26 PM

Here is the trip report referenced above http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...a-cucumber.cfm
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 01:31 PM

thanks Jamikins, my memory...
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 01:34 PM

Old Jan 31st, 2013, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! That trip report was hilarious!

I'm looking at flights from Reykjavik to Akureyri and it's looking like the lowest price is about 70 Euro or $95...does that sound about right? I've heard the bus fares up there are about as expensive as travel by air...

I was contemplating a little jaunt in Grimsey but the scheduling might be a bit hairy. Then I thought maybe Ísafjörður might be fun instead of Akureyri...flights are cheaper but accommodations more expensive...Hmm.
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 11:04 PM

makes sense