Winter in Scotland?

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 12:16 PM
Kristen

Winter in Scotland?

I am planning a trip to Scotland in February or March - does anyone have recommendations for traveling during these months?

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 12:24 PM
Sheila

Can you expand on the question, Kristen? Do you want to know where to go? how to go? what to do? whether it's a good time or not? <BR> <BR>What do you like doing when you travel and why did you choose Feb/March?

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 05:27 AM
Kristen

Hi Sheila - <BR> <BR>Just chose Feb/Mar because it's a good time of year for me to travel due to work related issues/vacation days. I'm planning on flying into Glasgow and taking the train to Edinburgh. I will most likely join up with a backpacking group like Haggis Backpackers so that I can see a good bit of Scotland in the week that I'll be there. I guess I'm just concerned about the weather and whether or not it will really affect the types of things I'll be able to see and do while I'm there.

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 05:47 AM
cold

Wrap up warm. It can be VERY cold in the wind. If you're planning to climb any mountains, you will need stiff-soled boots + possibly ice axe and/or crampons. The Hills are very beautiful at that time of year though.

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 08:00 AM
frank

Wear mountain gear if you are walking the hills or moors in Feb. Don't attempt it without a group who know the area.People die on the hills every year here, don't be casual at that time of year.Visibility can reduce to zero in minutes. <BR>It's the unpredictability that's the biggest weather problem - it may well be fine! <BR>It might be a good idea to ask Haggis B what they recommend.You must be very warm & very waterproof. <BR>For hillwalking : waterproof boots,big sox, waterproof trousers, plastic hooded jacket,fleece, scarf, gloves.

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 09:40 AM
KT

Many visitor attractions are closed or have reduced hours during the winter. Two sites that list hours for a lot of the historic properties in Scotland are the National Trust for Scotland (wwww.nts.org.uk) and Historic Scotland (www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/sw-frame.htm). But there will still be plenty to see. In the cities, the museums, castles, etc.(and pubs!) will be open, and of course in the coutry the scenery doesn't close. <BR> <BR>If you plan on spending much time outside, even just nice flat walks as opposed to hillwalking, I strongly endorse the idea of waterproof jacket, trousers, and boots. Don't count on an umbrella for protection -- it may be too windy. <BR> <BR>Don't forget that days will be short. Ever since Scottish friends of mine went to Shetland for Christmas vacation, I've had a perverse desire to do something similar, just to experience that much darkness. I realize, however, that this may not appeal to you! <BR> <BR>Despite all of the cautions people are giving you, you should go. You can have a great time in Scotland at any time of year.