Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Prelude to Italy Wedding - 6 nights in Paris (advice on itinerary please)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My last trip to Vietnam was wonderful and I am so thankful to the advice I got from fellow fodorites and hope to gain some advice again. This time, I will be spending some time in Amsterdam (to meet my fiances family) and then taking the fast train to Paris to spend 6 nights before moving on to Tuscany for our wedding. We are so excited and would love any advice you can offer.

To begin with, we will get the first possible fast train (and sleep on the way) so we can arrive as early as possible. We arrive in Paris on a Saturday. We will be staying in an apartment in the Marais district and will either walk or use the metro to get around. I have penned a 'draft' itinerary and hope I am not stacking my days too heavily as we would like to take a moment to enjoy the many special moments along the way.

Here it is:

Day 1 - Saturday
Arrive from Amsterdam (hopefully around 8.30 am), check in
Notre Dame, Saint Chapelle
Lunch
Walk to Latin Quarter (explore a little), Musee de Cluny & Jardin Du Luxemboarg (relax a little)
Picnic at Vedettes de Pont Neuf to watch sunset before going on cruise
Evening: Seine River Cruise

Day 2 - Sunday
St Ouen Flea Market
Shopping in Marais and getting acquainted with local area

Day 3 - Monday
Eiffel Tower (early to avoid lines)
Champs Elysee
Arch de Triomphe
Musee Guimet
Lourve

Day 4 - Tuesday
Day trip to Versailles
Centre Pompidou followed by dinner

Day 5 - Wednesday
Montmartre Walk Tour
Sacre-Couer (Montmartre surroundings)
Opera Garnier
Musee de l'Orangerie
Evening - Lourve (is open late and only if we feel we want to see more)
Dinner (any suggestions close to Lourve - we enjoy good food but don't want to pay an over the top price??)

Day 6 - Thursday
Musee Carnavalet, Archives Nationales & Place des Vosges (with picnic possibly)
Musee Rodin
Late afternoon/evening: Musee D'Orsay
Picnic/café dinner and sparkles at Eiffel Tower

Day 7 - fly out early to Milan

I am not sure how long some of the sights and museums will take to get through. We do enjoy art however we are far from experts but in saying that, I know I will be moved emotionally while here so who knows how long it will take us to get through. I have tried to schedule days so I can leverage from the Paris Museum Pass as well.

I really look forward to your advice!! Feel free to ask any questions just in case I have left out important details.

Best regards and happy travels to all
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 02:59 AM

I'm not sure combining Versailles and the Beauborg is really doable in the same day, especially if it is a nice day and you want to spend some time in the gardens of Versailles, plus not just look at the Centre George Pompidou but enter it. I suggest seeing the Beauborg on Sunday, when you already have plans to be in the Marais anyway.

Obviously, people have different loves about Paris, and making selections is a purely subjective thing. I would skip the Champs-Elysees (or only go at night) and going up the Eiffel Tower in favor of visiting St-Denis on a sunny day.

If you haven't bought your plane tickets to Milan, you might think of flying into on of Tuscany's airport (Florence or Pisa) or even Rome might be more convenient depending on where you are headed to in Tuscany. Bologna is also not a bad option if you are thinking of picking up a car at the airport and driving to your Tuscan location.
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 05:07 AM

You don't mention what time of year you will be going. It would help to know that. All in all, it is a pretty good itinerary although the first day seems crowded since you will be arriving, getting to and checking into your apartment, etc.

You could move the Place de Vosges to Sunday since you will be in the Marais anyway and picnic in the garden of the Musee Rodin - a lovely place to visit when the roses are in bloom.
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 05:44 AM

I'd say your Day 3 is too packed and that you could move some of it to Day 2. I'm not sure I'd want to do Pompidou and Versailles all in one day either.

Regarding the Champs Elysées and the Arc de Triomphe: I'd say go and look at it, but don't bother going up it. Ditto the Eiffel Tower: there are many views in Paris that are far more spectacular and don't have half the view missing because you're stood on it! The Espace Culturel de Louis Vuitton (on the rue Bassano - just off the Champs Elysées, actually, next to the Louis Vuitton shop) is free to get into, always has a fab exhibition on, and has amazing views from inside the gallery.

For restaurant suggestions close to the Louvre, I'd recommend Au Coin Des Gourmets on the rue Mont Thabor.

I also think you are trying to pack too much into your final day. I've been to the Musée Carnavalet and really did not find it that interesting. There's very little narrative or explanations of exhibits (although there are a few nice ones) - each room is more like someone just dumped a collection of random objects in it and we left feeling underwhelmed. I wouldn't go unless you are really knowledgeable about French history to begin with as the museum tells you very little.

Hope that helps a bit anyway
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 05:48 AM

Bear in mind you may not be able to check into your apartment if you arrive in Paris at 8:30 AM. Check on this in advance... you may be able to drop your luggage and return later but don't count on having the place to use until later in the day.
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to you all for the great feedback.

@vespacurves - I am staying in the Marais so was hoping to add the centre Pompidiou in quite late in the day after a day at Versailles. Maybe it is too ambitous and I can go Sunday?? I have not booked my flights yet but I have to be in Milan or Rome to lodge legal paperwork for my wedding. I figured Milan would be closer to Certaldo/San Gimignano where I will staying for a week. We will be hiring a car and taking a nice drive through Parma and Modena for some sightseeing.

@mamcalice - Yes, a bit concerned with my first day so will definitely take your advice.

@Bianca_P - I don't think I will bother with the climb of the Eiffel Tower, or a bare minimum, just to the first level to say I did. Thanks for the dinner & LV recommendation too! I will look at Musee Carnavalet and really see if it is a priority. May have to assess whether it is necessary this time around.

@ParisAmsterdam - thanks, I have emailed the owner of the apartment we are renting. Hopefully we can drop our bags off at a minimum.

Thanks for all of your recommendations and input. I will tweak accordingly. Oh, I will be arriving in Paris 11 May 2013 if this helps.
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 08:04 AM

It is actually a bit shorter from Rome to San Gimignano/Certaldo than from Milan. Will you be staying in one of those cities overnight or longer in order to complete the paperwork? In either case, you might find it simpler to take a train out of Rome to Orvieto and pick up a car there and have a lovely drive through the Tuscan countryside. Or if you would rather see Parma, take the train to Parma (you can rent the car there).

If you are thinking of picking up a car at the airport of your arrival and driving it into either Milan or Rome, I wouldn't advise that.

Have you checked to make sure you can't file the paperwork in Florence?
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Actually, that sounds really good as I was thinking about scheduling a day to visit Orvieto as it looks so lovely. Yes, we will be staying overnight. We have to go to either Milan or Rome as we need to finalise paperwork in two offices, one being the Australian Embassy. So I think our hands are tied due to this as there are only office in Milan or Rome. Great suggestions though, I think I will look at the possibility of driving from Orvieto. Thanks @vespacurves