wine tours: Vienna

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend a tour company that does a one day winery tour leaving from Vienna? I have found Magical Journeys and Mitch's Tours but both only operate on certain days. I will only be available to go on September 21 (wednesday). Magical Journeys was actually available for Wednesday tours up until this past Friday and their website has changed again. I was really looking forward to a wine tour so if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks so much!

Old Aug 16th, 2005, 08:54 AM

Contact the tourist office in Retz, Austria, one of the country's prime wine-growing regions. Only about an hour from Vienna. For more info:

http://www.tiscover.at/at/guide/3233...home/home.html
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 09:03 AM

It's a long link to cut and paste, here is some of the info:

Adventure cellar in Retz

Discover Austria’s largest historical wine cellar in the underground labyrinth of Retz: 21km long and up to 25m deep. Ever since the town was founded in 1279, the inhabitants of Retz have "buried" their most valuable treasure – the wine of Retz – in the 30m thick layer of sea sand ... Explore the enormous dimensions of the adventure cellar in Retz!

Special features:

• Austria’s largest historical wine cellar, "state treaty" wine in store
• Cellar tubes dug into the mere sea sand
• Huge cellar labyrinth below the town center, more spacious than the street network above

Facilities and infrastructure:

Gebietsvinothek Retzer Land (wine shop with regional wines)

Special offers:

1. Retz adventure cellar with subsequent wine tasting in the ceremony cellar (for groups of 30
persons or more by appointment, € 10 per person)
2. Guided tours in the evening, for seminars, etc. (by appointment)
3. Advent "over & under" in Retz: nice atmosphere on three floors (Retz adventure cellar, main square, city hall, 2nd Advent weekend)

Opening hours and prices:

Open: all year, see guided tours.
Guided tours: May-Oct. daily 10:30 a.m., 2 p.m. and 4 p.m.; Nov., Dec., Mar., Apr. daily 2 p.m.; Jan., Feb., Sat., Sun., holidays 2 p.m.; groups by appointment any time! Duration of guided tour: 90 min.
Admission: adults € 6.50, groups € 5.50, pupils € 1.80
free entrance for children up to 14 yrs accompanied by their parents.

Our tip for your excursion:

Retz Windmill and Thayatal National Park– From the Weinviertel to the Waldviertel

1. Guided tour through the Retz adventure cellar including short city tour and wine tasting
2. Visit to the only fully furnished windmill on the Retz Kalvarienberg (landmark of Retz)
3. Trip to Hardegg, Austria’s smallest town, with a hike through the Thayatal National Park

Contact and information:

Hauptplatz 30
A- 2070 Retz
Phone and fax: +43(0)2942/27 00
E-mail: [email protected]

Old Aug 16th, 2005, 09:34 AM

Why don't you take the "walking tour" in Rust and get a few bottles from "Giefing". Expensive, but well worth the money. Won't be easy to find this quality anywhere else in Austria.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I will check into these tours. I am also looking into finding a boat cruise through the Wachau Valley...any suggestions for that.

L