Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Wine Tasting AND Chateaux - Itinerary? Best Locations?
Notices

Wine Tasting AND Chateaux - Itinerary? Best Locations?

Feb 1st, 2012, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Wine Tasting AND Chateaux - Itinerary? Best Locations?

Our extended family group will be traveling to France in the summer next year for about 12 days. Some of us are interested in seeing the famous chateaux of the Loire Valley, while others are more interested in tasting some great wines, perhaps in Burgundy. Is it feasible to visit both areas in this time frame? We are thinking of renting a villa for a week in one location, and then perhaps moving to a hotel in another location for a few more days. Any suggestions on how to split our time? Would we be better off renting a villa in Burgundy for a week, and then going to the Loire Valley for just a few days, or vice versa? Amboise seems to be recommended as a good central base for the Loire chateaux area. Any suggestions for a good base in Burgundy for wine tasting? Thanks for any suggestions.
Feb 1st, 2012, 07:23 PM

Beaune is the commercial wine city for Burgundy it seems - many famous wine houses within a short drive south or north of town along the Route des Vins Bourgogne (sp?) or Burgundy Wine Road, a marked route along side roads skirting hills that are clad with vineyards.

I have drive from the Loire to Burgundy in an easy day. Vezelay to me is exceptional and a natural few-hour stop en route or lovely overnight. And stop by the Canal-Pont de Briare (sp?) en route as well - a weird canal crossing the Loire built by Eiffel - a monumental edifice you can walk across - nice short stop.

Not many vineyards actually near chateaus in the Loire IME and not really that great of vineyards - in no way like Burgundy where vineyards dominate the scapes.
Feb 1st, 2012, 07:55 PM

Agree with you, Pal...I was overwhelmed on prior visits with the number of wineries and "tasteries". Returning in '09 it was largely the same. Base in Beaune, easy-in-and-out to the adjacent wine ocuntry...rent cars or SUV's (depending on how large your family group is).

The largest winery within the city, Patriarche, was monstrous and fascinating to tour, with tasting selections all over the vast cellar (which they claim holds 3 million bottles..count 'em!)

These pics might give you an inkling of what you'll find in and out of the small city of Beaune. You'll have a most enjoyable visit.

Stu Tower
https://picasaweb.google.com/stuartt...eBurgundy2009#
Feb 1st, 2012, 08:35 PM

Some good wines in Loire. If you are in Chinon, Couly Dutheuil is one of the premier reds (Clos de l'Echo)
Feb 2nd, 2012, 12:57 AM

I'm with Michel, the wines of the Loire are superb. Chenin Blanc from Savenierre or Vouvray, the Sauvignon Blanc of the upper reaches and the Cabernet Franc of Suamur and Suamur Champigny.

Chinon, I find a little dried up and of Bourgueil I prefer the little sub-ac whose name I forget at this time.

It makes more sense to stay somewhere nice and taste around you
Feb 2nd, 2012, 10:10 AM

Bourgueil is one place in the Loire that vineyards swirl around in the Burgundy way - a sea of vines and several tasting houses/wineries.

Vouvray is similar ensconced by vineyards and its wine houses seem more monumental and the town itself is rather granddiose for a small village

The Chinon area too has a lot of vines

but I have family in the Loire and at dinner they always crack out a Bourdeaux or Burgundy bottle and rarely anything from the Loire itself.

Search this Thread