Search

Wine Talk

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 09:24 AM
Betty

Wine Talk

Ok, me again. I know everyone will be glad when I go and get back from my trip! LOL. My next question is this: I want to bring my supervisor back a bottle of wine from Paris. She only drinks every now and then with a meal. She likes red "Real Sangria", which is less than $10 a bottle. I would like to get her this wine (with a french label) or something comparable to that kind, which would not be a lot of money. Any suggesion? and do they have liquor store like we are use to over here?

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 09:34 AM
elaine

Betty<BR>Sangria is Spanish, not French and it's a mix of wine and fruit. I have a feeling the French would not approve.<BR>If you want a wine that's easy to like, and not very expensive, look for a simple Beaujolais, preferably one that 's at least a year old. Or there are vins de pays, country wines, that are not very expensive. Your hotel can suggest a neighborhood wine store.<BR><BR>Most wine stores even in a small town in the US would carry something like the above, and it would save your lugging it home or having it possibly break.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 10:03 AM
Uncle Sam

You may try a Boujelais (sp), a light French red with a somewhat fruity flavor. It is a red that can be served chilled. A good one is George Debouef (sp), but you can buy them in the US as well as France.<BR><BR>US

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 10:10 AM
Al

Sangria is NOT good wine....if this is her taste, she is really missing out on some fine wine. I'd suggest you bring her something different than cheap, kool-aid type wine. You will have many choices of inexpensive gift items once you arrive.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 10:13 AM
wino

OMG-I love drinking sangria in a good Spanish restaurant.I am so numb by the time the food arrives I usually have no idea what I am eating!<BR> It is a good way to use not so good wine, just throw all that fruit in it and chill.<BR>

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 10:23 AM
wino

If the person likes "sangria" type wine, I would probably not bring her wine as a gift. She probably doesn't like wine that much if she drinks something that fruity and I wouldn't give her a "better" bottle to try and educate her. A gift is something someone should enjoy not given as a lesson (besides, would be a waste of a good bottle of wine). Another reason lugging wine back isn't really worth it is because you can pretty much get most of them in the US for the same price if not cheaper.<BR><BR>Chocolates would make a nice gift (easier to bring back anyways). There are tons of great chocolatiers over there and it's something unique they typically can't find in the US.<BR><BR>

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 10:29 AM
Catherine

If your friend is not "into" good wines, IMHO I don't think it's worth lugging back a bottle from France. <BR>Just some ideas for gifts...<BR>I didn't know L'Occitane is available on the internet and made up little packages to bring back for my friends: a package of candy violets, perfumed soap, etc. The clerk gave me tissues and ribbons to wrap them when I got home. <BR>For my mother, I mailed a "Paris Package" with all that stuff plus a tiny Eiffel tower fridge magnet, matches from a restaurant, soap from the hotel, etc, wrapped in French newspapers. Sounds really goofy but she thought it was great and it didn't cost the earth. The funniest thing was my brother was in Provence at the same time and sent her the same sort of box stuffed with lavender etc!

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 10:29 AM
Lori

I agree with Elaine. A nice fruity Beaujolais should fit the bill just fine. Look for ones that have village names on them: Fleurie, Chenas, etc. for something extra special.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 04:21 PM
Betty

Thanks for all the suggestions. Sangria is not the choice of "real"wine drinkers; but some folks like it and you have to realize that everybody is different. I may go with the soaps, etc or the Beaujolais.