Reload this Page >

Wine Shops in Paris/Reims

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 04:23 AM
AGM/Cape Cod

We will be in Paris later in March with a day trip to Reims. We were wondering about wine shops and the possibilities of shipping wine home. Also what are the restriction regarding wine bottles in carry-on luggage? Thanks.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 04:46 AM
Lori

You cnnot ship wine home unless the store you purchase it in has a US distributor. If they do, they can ship it to the distributor, you are liable for duty and you must pick it up at the distributor. We have purchased wine in France on many occassions, and packed it in bubble wrap and put it in our carryon luggage with no problem.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 05:01 AM
elvira

You are allowed one liter of wine per traveler duty-free; more than that, and you are subject to duty. I usually bring two bottles back with me, and never had a problem.<BR><BR>Check your state's liquor laws - some state's do NOT allow ANY importation of wine without a liquor license. Period. If you can make an arrangement with a liquor store to be the "importer", you can ship whatever you want...and pay the duty.<BR><BR>There are wine shops all over Paris; some markets (like the Enfants Rouges) have wine sellers; the Galeries Lafayette has a great wine selection in its food court; eyes open for exhibits with the word "terroir" in it - these are usually promotions for regions of France, like Alsace-Lorraine for example, with displays of crafts, foods, and...wines.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 05:37 AM
Maribel

AGM,<BR>We used the chain of wine shops called Nicolas for our wine purchases (but didn't ship them home-never have). Prices seemed quite reasonable, they have their own house label, and their salespeople we found knowledgable. There's a branch in the 7th on Rue de Bac and another in the Marais, not far from the Place des Vosges (can't recall the thoroughfare) where we picked up bottles for our room.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 05:42 AM
elle

La Derniere Goutte just off rue de Seine in the 6th will pack up a half-case so that you can check it as baggage.<BR><BR>Technically, you're not allowed to bring that much wine in, but we do it all the time (last year we brought back 19 bottles). But even if you get caught and have to pay, the fee amounts to about 40 cents per bottle, so it's still worth it.<BR><BR>La Derniere Goutte is worth checking out. A lot of the wines are vins de pays from little -known vineyards in Languedoc and the South West (Costiere de Nimes, Corbieres, Minervois, Cahors, Carcassonne, etc.). They have tastings on Saturday afternoons.<BR>

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 06:29 AM
Chris

Reims has plenty of wine shops but you will do better price wise at the <BR>Champagne House. Prices at the vaious <BR>Champagne Houses are at least 1/4 less than US. Some require you to take a tour first but most will allow you to visit the store dirctly for purchases. <BR>Some of the Champaagne Houses require<BR>an appointment. Good Luck.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 06:37 AM
Celia

I think "elle" is misinformed. It isn't illegal to bring in half a case of wine, it only is that you have to pay duty on it. As she says, the duty doesn't amount to much. I always declare all the wine I'm bringing (no way would I lie to the customs people and risk jail!), and often the inspector does a quick mental calculation and figures out that the amount of paperwork is not worth the $2.00 or whatever, and waves me through. <BR><BR>And so what if you do have to pay duty? It's a small amount, and you have that lovely French wine to remind you of where you've been.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 06:42 AM
AGM/Cape Cod

I know it is possible to ship wine home because we did it last year from Beaune. There are states which do not allow you to import wine for yourself notably California. Massachusetts allows you to import wine for personal use. We paid a ridiculously low amount of duty for 2 cases of wine. We know the custom inspector knew wines because he commented on the selection. We also paid $10 for facility fee from American Airlines. I am looking to see if we can get the same sort of setup from Paris. Thanks for your comments.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 10:13 AM
To the Top

TTT

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 03:18 PM
ttt

Topping for the evening shift.<BR>