Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Wine festival in Cochem in a few weeks - what to expect???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2013, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cochem will be our first stop in Germany on our upcoming 2 weeks trip. We are flying in on August 24th and there is a wine festival in Cochem on that weekend. Did anybody visit Cochen during wine festival? I am excited, we are wine lovers so would enjoy wine tasting but I am a little bit worried that it will be too crowded. What is happening during wine festival? Do they sell food on the streets or we have to book some place for a dinner? Will they have additional places for wine tasting? Any advice/experience much appreciated
Old Aug 14th, 2013, 10:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What is happening during wine festival?
http://www.mybikeguide.co.uk/Art-_German_Festival.php

Do they sell food on the streets or we have to book some place for a dinner? Street oh yes, but you may also want to eat in a restaurant but I doubt you can book, you just turn up

Will they have additional places for wine tasting? No places, you buy a glass and then buy wine to put in it and at the end sell the glass back (or take it with you) but normally the tasting is done walking from table to table, there may also be large tents where they try to cut you off from the rest of the tasting (sit here and we will sell you pork and wine and let you sing with all these other nice people)

Any advice/experience much appreciated, read the article above
Old Aug 15th, 2013, 02:31 AM

Well, I can't speak for Cochem but we went to a winefest across the border in Alsace a couple of years ago.

It was great fun.

Daytime was family fun with entertainment, dancing, bands, lots of food stands and wine tasting (we like keeping our "taste-vin"/glasses). The evening the town was literally taken over by young people basically guzzling wine, glasses being replaced by the whole bottle in hand. My husband saved several girls from literally planting themselves face first, after which we decided it wasn't our "scene" anymore and we retired to a nice restaruant's biergarten for an excellent and quieter meal.

After this experience we also did the Bad Duerkheim's festival, this time sticking to the daytime only, with pretty much the same wonderful results.

Prost!!!
Old Aug 15th, 2013, 02:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bad Durkheim (the world's biggest) is fantastic
Old Aug 15th, 2013, 03:03 AM

You will find some info what the Cochem Weinfest is about here:
http://www.cochem.de/tourismus/highlights_weinfest.php
Scroll down for the English version.

THe wineries will have their stands, so you don't have to go somewhere specific to sample.. just stroll around. Obviously, you don't get anything for free, but you usually can get smaller than regular glass so you don't get drunk too quickly when you stop at several stands.
It is also common that you pay a nominal deposit for your glass at each stand, e.g. €1 or 2. And a token.
SOmetimes you have to return your glass to the stand where you got it, sometimes you can return it at any stand. Don't lose the tokens - you won't get back the deposit without them.
You can also keep the glass as a souvenir if you want.

You also don't have to go inside a restaurant to get something to eat, but as the Cochem Weinfest is also held in the historic town center, you can expect the surrounding restaurants to get fuller than on a regular day.

If the weather plays along, you can expect it to get crowded.