Reload this Page >

Windsor recommendations

Search

Windsor recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2001, 05:30 PM
Judi

Windsor recommendations

We're spending two nights in Windsor in early June and would like recommendations for a very nice hotel (under $200 US for a double), within walking distance of the best sights and shopping in town. Also, any restaurant recommendations - not too stuffy in ambiance but really well prepared, tasty food. We enjoy all types of food and flavors , but try to stay on reasonably low fat diets. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old Dec 25th, 2001, 04:58 AM
Judy

Just wondering...did you go? Where did you stay? I am supposed to go to Windsor in February. Anything else you can tell me about Windsor would really help. Thanks

Old Dec 25th, 2001, 05:38 AM
JOdy

When flying into Heathrow and picking up a car,we always spend our first night in Windsor to avoid driving while tired. And we always stay at Sir christopher wren's House hotel. I highly ecommended it, it is a beautifully restored , riverfront property with very nice rooms and excellent breakfast. They also have a good restaurant right in the hotel. we also usually eat at another restaurant, but for the like of me I can't remember the name, but if you leave the hotel by the front entrance, turn right at next corner turn right again and the restaurant is on the next corner on the left. It's an Italian restaurant with excellent seafood, patronized mainly by locals as far as I could tell as owner greeted people by mane

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 04:43 AM
Philip

There is a very nice hotel right in the center of Windsor..it is easy to spot - it is the one with the great big round tower. You can even see it from the plane as you approach Heathrow. Simply go up the doorman by the large gate (the fellow will have on a nice red coat and sometimes a big fuzzy hat) and tell him you desire a room for the night. It may help if you tell him that the joint was suggested by Liz. It is a very large place so the chances that there will be a room are good. Rates vary, but by dropping Liz's name you may get a good deal. Good luck.

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 06:12 AM
"Liz"

Well, we will instruct the "doorman" to grant a room to anyone that requests it and we will also welcome you all to dine with us in our private dining room. Come one come all and see us at our cute little B&B with the big tower...

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 09:19 AM
Prince Charles

Please forgive Mother, she is getting a bit senile in her old age...we do not accept guests that just walk up to the "doorman" seeking a room. One MUST make reservations at the link<BR><BR>www.queensbandb.co.uk, or you may call me on my private cell phone if you happen to know the number.

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 09:27 AM
Rex

Since this thread has taken a turn for the silly, I'll respond with a favorite place to stay in windsor, even if it does not exactly meet the walking proximity criteria Judi asked for. It's a delightful place, though it's perhaps a good two miles from the center of the action.<BR><BR>Fairlight Lodge<BR>41 Frances Road <BR>Windsor, Berkshire SL4 3AQ<BR>Telephone: 011.44.1.753.861.207<BR>Fax: 011.44.1.753.865.963<BR><BR>We had a family room (sleeps 5, with bunk beds), a double and 3 twins there in 1998, and everyone enjoyed it immensely, including the one supper we had there, and the terrific breakfasts.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR><BR>

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 10:00 AM
curt

For a delightful pub in Windsor try the Two Brewers. Close to castle and a really friendly and nice pub with good food and beer. The link to see more is<BR>http://www.windsor-tourism.co.uk/twobrewers.html

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 05:44 PM
Linda Eckhart

I like the Royal Adelaide Hotel - it's adjacent to the castle & a short walk to restaurants & shops. Take a look at "www.meridianleisure.com"