Will I need to wait in line if I have booked a private tour

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just about to book a private tour of the vatican with Context Rome when I noticed at the end of the description the following...."The Vatican Museums have not instituted a system for purchasing tickets or making reservations in advance like so many other museums (e.g. the Louvre, the Uffizi); nor do the museums allow groups with guides to bypass the line. As a result, waiting in line for tickets at the start of this itinerary is inevitable. We will organize the start time to minimize this wait; and whatever time we do spend in line will be used to lay the background and begin our lecture."

I don't get it. Everything I have read from my fellow fodorites seemed to suggest that doing a private tour allowed them to bypass the lines.

Can someone clarify for me if we will need to stand in line for the tour of the vatican to get tickets before our private tour starts?

Old Mar 29th, 2007, 03:11 AM

Reading through the official site ot the Vatican Museums it looks like the only private tour that is allowed to skip the line is the one organized by the Tuscanyall.com s.r.l., which is the authorized Vatican agency. Also as a privat you can reserve a ticket for visits starting at 8.15 pr 9.30. In any other hours or with any other agency you have to stay in line for tickets (up to 3 hours for what I know).
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 06:05 AM

I can't understand why this site would be the only place to book a Vatican tour. It is not in Rome AND no where on the site does it say anything about a Vaticn tour.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 06:14 AM

Last May we had a private tour with Context Rome of the Vatican Museums. It does not bypass the lines. This is how it works - they meet you at a small cafe across the street. We went a bit early and ate there. It wasn't a memorable meal but with the time we allowed it was the easiest way to fit it in. After the guide arrived, we went across the street to the end of the line. During the wait, our guide provided non-stop information about the Vatican, history, museums, etc. The time flew by as the information was fascinating leading up to what we saw inside. This was my 4th time to the museums but, by far, the best. We were very pleased with the information our guide presented. The "clock" of the tour doesn't start ticking until you are actually in the museum. She was very generous with her time and it lasted much, much longer than anticipated (of which we felt fortunate!). Hope this helps...
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 06:48 AM

I just heard from the assistant of the person who will be guiding our Vatican tour in June. She sent me a copy of the new policy. Here is is:

As of January, 2007, the Vatican Museums has completely changed its policies for admission. You can make reservations, but only through a travel agent or official guide. (Those people without reservations cannot enter until 10:00 am, meaning one would need to arrive at least by 8:00 am to be among the first in line).

How the Reservation Policy Works:
- Requests must be made at least 10 days in advance of the visit
- Groups (anywhere from 2 to 100 people) can arrive at 9:00 am and enter directly, without waiting on line.
- The cost per person is 15 Euro for the admission fee, 5 Euro for each reservation and 1.50 Euro to rent one of the “whispers” headphones (these are necessary for the visit to the Sistine Chapel) for a total of 21.50 Euro per person.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 07:24 AM

Marcia, what tour are you going on in June? Is the policy you're describing one that applies to all tour groups or only the "official" one described on the vatican website, for which you fax a request? Everything about the Vatican is so confusing! Thanks very much.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 09:56 AM

Mary 09,
I sent a request to the Vatican for the scavi tour about 10 days ago and just received my confimation for May 25. I was shocked to get it so soon. Good luck.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

To all,
Thanks for all of the responses! (What did people do before these message boards

Marcia,
I am also interested in your response to Mary09's question as I am still confused on which tours are "official" and can therefore get tickets ahead of time.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 03:53 AM

He is an official Vatican tour guide. This is how I found him. Sorry about the aborted post.

I was reading an article in the April 05 edition of Dream of Italy titled You Haven't Seen Rome 'Til You've Seen It With Enrico Bruschini (April 2005). He is an expert on the Vatican and especially the Sistine Chapel. I was sold so I wrote to him and heard back from his assistent Francesca that he is indeed still available to give private tours. He is meeting us at our hotel at 8:30 am and he is taking care of the reservation for us. For some reason I am having a devil of a time posting a link but the article I mention is still available if you log in. It really is worth a read if you have not yet chosen a guide. He is so well respected by the Vatican that when the 2000 restoration of the Sistine Chapel ceiling was underway he was invited up onto the scaffolding to witness the work. Can you imagine that? Just google his name and Dream of Italy and it will direct you to the article. Best of luck!
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 04:12 AM

The aborted post was an effort to post a link but it appears not to have shown up. Anyway, Prof. Bruschini has written a detailed guide book of the Vatican and also one of his 100 favorite Vatican masterpieces. 100 Masterpieces is available on Amazon but the guide book must be ordered directly from him.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 04:43 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Marcia - After googling his name, I don't see anywhere listing him as an official Vatican guide. It does list him as an official Rome tour guide (there are 1400 others). He does appear to be an expert, but not really part of the Vatican, nor can you book him through the official Vatican website.
http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-In...zi_Visite.html

He has his own website. www.profenrico.com
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 10:44 AM

Thanks, Firenz, that gives me some hope! With my luck I will probably fall into the 2 months wait time, however!!

Marcia, thanks for the information. Your guide sounds wonderful! That part about the Sistine Chapel is incredible. I hope you have a wonderful tour.

I think I'd like to book the official tour through the Vatican mainly to cut out the line waiting, but the idea of not having confirmation until I get to Rome is too disconcerting. I may just get there at 8 and wait until the doors open at 10. That is starting to sound like the simplest option!!

Basch, I would book Context Rome tour if I could, they just don't have a tour on Monday, when I will be there. I hope you have a great time!
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 12:52 PM

Thanks Mary.
This came with the e-mail:

"Professor Bruschini can make the reservation and other arrangements for your visit. He will meet you in the lobby of your hotel at 8:30 am and you can go together in a taxi to arrive at the Vatican Museum by 9:00 am."

His assistant assured us that we will not wait in line, we just enter at 9:00am. Good luck. Here is another try to link to the article. For some strang reason the first half of the link will not take you to the article. If you click on the second half of the link it will. Go figure?

http://www.dreamofitaly.com/may-sample.pdf

Old Mar 30th, 2007, 04:05 PM

Just returned from Italy and took the tour the Vatican provides by faxing the request about a month out. I think it was 23.50 each and we walked to the entrance and they just checked our name off a list (have i.d.) and the tour began about 15 minutes later. We were very pleased with our tour guide. I was in awe at how long the line was. I went to the Vatican in March 2000 and remember exactly where the line began and it was easily double the same length this year. You could see it as soon as you came up the street in front of St. Peter's....no kidding.

Here's a little tip for the Coloseum also. You can take their official tour for an extra 3E. Just walk past the line and go to the last ticket window on the right. We took a tour in English that began at 3:30pm so you may want to check the schedule first.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 07:29 AM

Hi Jeremy. Glad you had a great trip! Did you get confirmation of your Vatican tour at home before you left or did you get it once you were already in Rome at your hotel? Any advice on what to include on the fax I send to the Vatican (other than required information of names, etc.)?

Thanks very much!
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 07:48 AM

bookmark
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 07:48 AM

Last Mon. we had the tour through the Vatican (the one you fax to the Vatican) and we had the best guide. She got her degree at the University in the Vatican. There were only 8 of us in the group and I was able to ask questions and really had what I felt was like a personal tour. Someone at our hotel went the same day and said the line was about a mile long. I went to the side of the entrance as per instructed and went right in at the time I asked for in my fax. I highly recommend it.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 09:15 AM

Thanks, Traveler2. Did you receive a confirmation of your date and time before you went to Rome?
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 02:01 PM

These look like great options to try, thank you for the information.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 03:34 PM

What I think I've figured out is that there are a few private tour companies that are "official vatican guides" and have access to VIP tickets, which are pre-ticketed reservations for a 9am entrance. Some are groups of 8-10, some private tours that you book for your own party, all obviously more expensive than the vatican tour. if you google VIP entrance vatican various companies come up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -