Reload this Page >

Will I Need Rubber Boots In Venice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2000, 07:54 PM
Jody

We are going to be in Venice in one week and I heard that there is much flooding going on this October. Has anyone been there when the Piazza San Marco was flooded? Wondering if many of the roads are also flooded. Also staying on Lido and wondering if that will be wet? Would appreciate any advice.

Old Oct 19th, 2000, 12:33 PM
Carol

I just read somewhere that most Venice hotels keep a supply of rubber boots for their guests, in case of high water. Why not check with your hotel?

Old Oct 22nd, 2000, 08:10 AM
Hitomi

I was in Venice 3 days ago. Parts of Venice, including Pz. San Marco, were flooded. There were many "paths" about 20-30 inches high from the ground level in many tourists areas, so you don't have to get wet. I also saw rubber boots for sales in small stores for locals. <BR> <BR>We were in Venice 10/16 - 10/18. It often rained in the morning but cleared in the afternoon. <BR> <BR>Good luck to you. <BR>Hitomi

Old Oct 22nd, 2000, 01:57 PM
wendy

I was in Venince last October when there was a fantastic thunderstorm which flooded the city for most the of the day. The thunderstorm was the most amazing act of nature I'd ever seen. Anyway, the city puts wooden planks out so you can walk on those instead of sloshing through the water. The planks are crowded but from there, you'll have a great vantage point of people rowing their dinghys in Piazza San Marcos. Have a great time.

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 12:38 PM
Rod Hoots

Lido doesn't flood.

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 06:39 PM
Dean

We were in Venice the second week in October. The piazza flooded when the tide came in for about 4-5 hours. The piazza was the only area I saw flooded so we just avoided the elevated plankways they put up in that area and saw other parts of town until the tide went down. Very few people were wearing boots as the water was 1-1.5 feet high and difficult to walk in even with boots.

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 07:38 PM
Paul

My wife and I were in Venice in the 80s when it flooded. I recall having to go out in my regular shoes in water up to my knees to buy rubber boots for the two of us. That was the coldest I ever remember my feet and legs being -- terrible, bone-chilling cold! I found boots and they rescued our stay, enabling us to wade to most of the sights over the next two wet days.

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 08:22 AM
sandi

We were in Venice a few days ago and it was not flooded. I emailed my hotel just before leaving to find out if they were having aqua alta (high water). The other posts were around the time of rain that was much earlier than usual. Don't let the water stop you from going to Venice. It turned out to be my most favorite place. As we were leaving it, my 12 yr old said that he was ready to return, by himself.

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 03:54 PM
xxx