Reload this Page >

WILL I BE KILLED???

Search

WILL I BE KILLED???

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 12:40 PM
Jacki

WILL I BE KILLED???

I'm a little frieghtnend right now, I've never left the country before and am leaving NY alone, going to Berlin and Hamburg this summer for 5 days. I have a particular problem. Two white friends have told me that I am crazy for going to Germany, because there are skinheads at everyturn, and they wont take kindly to me being a visiting black young female. Are there black people in Germany, and will I be unwelcomed and in trouble there?? Already have my ticket, thinking about not going. Need advice. also planning Warsaw, Prague, Budapest. <BR>[email protected]

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 12:46 PM
Cindy

Good heavens! I am (relatively) young African American, and I toured Germany by myself for over a week (including Berlin and Hamburg). I didn't speak a word of German, and everyone I met in Germany was a total delight. They bent over backwards to talk to me and assist me. Go, go, go and have a ball! <BR> <BR>Can't advise on your other designations, though.

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 01:03 PM
jacki

Thanks -to XXX <BR>The two friends who told me, wont go with, might be just trying to mess with me, but I cant be sure. My family is worried about my trip, being alone and all, now cant assure them that i'll be ok. Did you, see any skinheads everywhere, and did people stare at you all the time? Someone said black service men and women are there, but that doesnt mean they are welcomed and treaded nicely. Thanks for your reply <BR>

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 01:09 PM
Denise Francois

Dear Jacki, You need to read "Go Girl". It is a collection of travel essays written by Black women who have travelled all over the world. I am sure you can get it on Amazon.com. Or try CushCity. After you read it you will definitely proceed to Germany with no fear in your heart. Bon voyage. Denise

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 01:18 PM
Tahiti Bob

There is a forum dedicated to "minority travellers" to Europe at www.ricksteves.com <BR>(http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/graffiti15.html)

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 01:25 PM
MARIE

You might want to check the website for the US dept of state, specifically the Travel Warnings page under the Secy of State. <BR> <BR>I don't have the website, but if you go to Ask Jeeves, and ask about travel warnings, it will connect you. <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 01:27 PM
Lee

Jacki: I can't imagine anyone holding anything against you in Europe. They are very diverse. <BR> <BR>No matter what color we are, we Americans are easy to spot by how we dress and to some extent, the way we act as well. <BR> <BR>Don't worry, be happy. Have a nice trip.

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 01:57 PM
Patrick

Sadly, in the US it seems I am often aware in many cities (especially the midwest) the most African Americans I see are indeed in the service industry, but not in Europe, including Germany. I seldom see blacks as maids, porters, waitresses, etc. It seems I am more aware of very affluent blacks traveling just as I do. It seems that Europeans are light years ahead of us in race relations, including many interracial couples. There are skinheads all over the US too, so I wouldn't fret about it any more than in the US, probably less.

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 02:39 PM
Cindy

Jacki, <BR> <BR>I don't know what is up with your two friends. As they are not black, they can't have any personal experience in this area, so I would discount their opinion. No, I would totally ignore it. <BR> <BR>As for how I was treated, no one cared about my race at all. No one stared. No one said anything unkind. I felt as at home as I could possibly feel given that I couldn't understand a word people were saying. And I can definitely tell you that I have been to several parts of the United States where people had never before encountered a black professional woman and behaved as though I were a circus freak. I'll take Europe any time. <BR> <BR>As for skinheads, I've been to Europe a few times and I never saw one. Ever. Anywhere, including Germany. I think the worst thing that might happen is that someone might notice you because they might be curious about where you are from, but they'll recognize your accent and clothing and determine quickly that you are just another American tourist. If anything, people were perhaps a little more interested in engaging me in a pleasant conversation in English, but that was surely quite welcome. <BR> <BR>On matters of personal safety, I felt plenty safe in Germany. I didn't do anything stupid, like go home with some stranger. If you practice the same obvious safety measures your use at home in New York(lock the hotel room door, don't flash wads of cash, etc.), you'll be just fine. <BR> <BR>Please relax, go to Germany, be friendly to everyone you see, make friends with other tourists, and advise your family and friends that they were wrong. I found my first trip to Europe to be a real eye-opener, and I wouldn't trade it (or any of my trips) for anything. Oh, and one more thing. When you get back, please tell us all how it went. <BR> <BR>If you want more info, please post on any topic. We're here to help.

Old Apr 29th, 2000, 04:28 PM
jackii

To everyone - I am going to Germany and it seems that I have no more to worry about than I do living here in N.Y., where incidently, I see skin heads all the time in the subways. Thanks Denise, I will pick up the book Go Girl, and probably read it on the plane! Thanks TahitiBob, I'm going to rick Steves right after this letter. Thanks Marie, but I cant seem to find Travel Warnings, I'll keep looking. Good looking out Lee, for sure I will try not to let my manners and dress stand out too much.(looks like I'm going to have to tone down. Patrick, you make me want to move to Europe! Thanks so much. Greg, you have been mucho helpful. And Cindy, indeed I will share with you what happened on my trip. I really value my friends' advice, but everything with a grain of salt, right? I will be careful to make the distinction between being treated rudely, (if it should happen) because of being non-German from being African-American. But I am going, will have fun, talk to everyone and carry your advice. Thanks a billion. <BR>

Old Apr 30th, 2000, 05:19 AM
emily

Jacki, my friend who is Jamaican, has a 35 yo daughter who married a white german; she has lived in Germany for 10 yrs & has not felt uncomfortable, etc. <BR>You are probably more likely to encounter overt racism in the USA. My guess is that you will have a great time. Please let "we" fodor-forum-folk know how it went. Bottom line: there are good & bad people all over. Sorry to be trite.

Old Apr 30th, 2000, 06:17 AM
Caitlin

If you're still interested, the US State Department site is www.state.gov/travel. It has quite a bit of info beyond the warnings (which tend to be only for places with serious political instability and/or terrorism directed toward foreigners, and which are, naturally, quite conservative).

Old May 4th, 2000, 03:05 PM
Kirsten

Jacki, <BR>I lived in Germany for 3 1/2 years, and have two degrees in German literature. While I'm not black, I know a bit about Afro-German culture. Berlin is considered the center. There's a book edited by May Opitz called "Showing Our Colors" which talks about the history of this culture (with an introduction written by Audre Lorde, who lived in Berlin.) You may want to search this out - it may be of interest to you. <BR>Hamburg is a great city. I have friends who own an English language video store - if you email me I'll give you details. <BR>I wouldn't worry - you are no more in danger in Germany than anywhere else - in fact, you're generally safer. <BR>

Old May 5th, 2000, 08:47 AM
XXX

I think you will probably be killed.

Old May 5th, 2000, 08:57 AM
kay

Even if meant tongue in cheek, that 13th comment was nasty. Very nasty. Everything previous was warm and helpful, so, Jacki, go and enjoy yourself. I bet you have a super time!

Old May 5th, 2000, 09:29 AM
XXX

Thank you Kay, Good Witch of the West

Old May 5th, 2000, 10:33 AM
Tony Hughes

Jacki <BR> <BR>In my opinion, having stayed in Germany for a while and having lived in Scotland for an eternity, your biggest problem will be fending off the guys. As there are few black people in Germany or Scotland compared to the overall population, the men are very curious but not intimidating. In fact come to Scotland !!

Old May 5th, 2000, 10:43 AM
Art

Hi Jacki, I lived in Germany for 7 years in the 60's. My experiance was that the Germans were very upset with the way we whites treated blacks in our country. The blacks were treated exactly the same as the whites by Germans. I had some black friends and we hung out together everywhere. When they left to come back to the US however they said a FINAL GOODBY because of the way things were over here. Yes, there are skinheads over there now, but no more than in the US. Go and have a super trip.

Old May 5th, 2000, 10:57 AM
kay

Welcome back, Tony Hughes, aka Stellarossa. AT least I've not seen any postings from you lately, and you never did send me your US report, the continuation.

Old May 9th, 2000, 07:18 PM
Jacki

OUt of all of the positive postings about how I should go to Germany and not worry, the posting from XXX telling me that I will indeed be KILLED, is enough to scare me terribly. I am not going! <BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -