Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

will fear of heights keep from Cinque Terre??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 06:51 PM
sue moerer

Help, I have a fear of heights and would like to hike the Cinque Terre trail. I have heard that at times the trail is narrow with severe dropoffs. That would do me in, in fact it makes my knees week to even think of it. Can anyone tell me if this is so or not? Tahnks!! <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 07:59 PM
zz-top

- <BR>Sue: <BR>Raised a thread in which this topic was discussed a few months back. I don't have a problem with heights, so it's difficult for me to assess the scare factor. I did note on my walk between Manarola-Corniglia there were stretches in which the path was about 3 ft wide, and a bit of a dropoff. <BR> <BR>I do know that the easiest trail, Riomaggiore to Manaroles (Via Dell'Amore) is now open -- it's the shortest route, so maybe this would be doable.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 06:19 AM
Dale

Sue: <BR>As I recall from three years ago, the Via del Amore connecting the southernmost two villages is a stroll. The others, I'm afraid, if you can't take three foot wide dirt paths with hundred foot drops, I'd take the boat instead. Ciao.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 04:17 PM
Ladybug

Dear Sue, I have to agree with Dale, but hope you'll try the "Amore" stroll as a perfectly satisfactory option. <BR>

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 06:24 PM
PJ

Sue-My husband and I visited the CT in Sept of 99. It was nearly 90 degrees.We took the two easiest of the hikes-Amore and one other. We were fine, and I am not particulary fond of heights! Many people--all ages--hiked the entire thing. We opted for those two and used the train for the rest. It was a wonderful day. We stayed 2 nights in Levanto. <BR>PJ