Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Will be moving to Amsterdam, advice please?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 1998, 02:18 AM
Daniel

Hi Everybody,

Seems like I found a very nice site. You guys are all so polite and cordial! I will be graduating this spring and I am planning to move to Amsterdam and/or Holland and plan to work there for a few (3-5) months. Now, I've never been there, so can you help me with some advice:
1) Where to get a (simple) job?
2) Where to find a relatively cheap apartment, studio, or room (not picky)?
3) What to do and where to meet other travellers as well as the kind Dutch people?

Thank you all in advance and happy travels!

Old Apr 3rd, 1998, 09:23 PM
Daniel

Just trying to move this message to the top. Can anyone help?

Old Apr 5th, 1998, 08:24 AM
Craig

I will also be moving to Amsterdam (closer to the Hague, actually) later this year. I'm moving because of a job and couldn't be happier. I think you might want to first check with the Dutch consulate in the US, New York. Call them and ask tough questions, they are very straight-forward. I found that some of the people working in the youth hostels and B&Bs were internationals and native english speakers, but you should have at least one other language and Dutch isn't that hard to learn. Check out the teach english abroad program; I don't know if you could get a job like that in Holland though. It may be tough, but get it lined up in advance. Good luck.

Old Apr 5th, 1998, 11:05 PM
Daniel

Thanx. How did you find your job? Through MIT?

Old Apr 8th, 1998, 03:08 PM
Craig

I'll be working for Shell Royal Ducth Petrolium as a well engineer and I got it through an international career fair held here at MIT. I wasn't directly going for Netherlands (Germany, actually), but the Shell job was just too good to pass up. I get to travel to new countries about once every 3 to 5 years and get bonuses for doing it! Sweet deal. Good luck and let me know how it all goes.

Old Apr 8th, 1998, 10:13 PM
Tricia

I met a woman last summer in this website- answered a questions for her and we e mailed each other several times. She lived in Mexico but was American and met a man from Amsterdam on the internet. She moved there to marry him on Christmas Eve. Lost tract of her after she moved. Too bad we couldn't ask her some questions, huh! Well, I have family in Holland, up in Freisland. I am trying to learn Dutch, but its hard! Try the EXCITE search engine- type in "travel to Amsterdam" or work in Amsterdam and see what comes up. EXCITE has a broad spectrum of information for many cities and they always have a link for job info in each city. Everyone in Holland speaks pretty good English, you just have to bolster their confidence. There are McDonald's there, so don't despair! he he. There is also a Chico's taco in Amsterdam. But try a Panneuken and a Heinkin for me! E mail me and I'll try to find more info for you!