COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Wide-open for suggestions!! Paris, April 2012 and....

Old May 10th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

I have the first two weeks of April 2012 available for a vacation. Plan to fly to Paris and then.....

I will have a car. I have travelled through but never really explored Burgundy....spent a sweaty summer in the Loire and am considering a leisurely springtime return with a day or two in the Champagne area.

Originally I wanted to head to the Dordogne, but have read conflicting reports: touristy and crowded countered with dead as a doornail before Easter, although Easter is April 8th in 2012....

I have ruled -out NOrmandy and Brittany in early April--too wet.

I like history, markets, village/city life....

OPen to other suggestions...
Old Nov 4th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Ivy

Curious to see what advice you get as I have a similar situation- want to go in April but not sure if champagne/Alsace would be ok that time of year or maybe Provence? Am really quite open!!
Old Nov 4th, 2011, 02:20 PM

I hope you won't have that car in Paris.

The Dordogne is absolutely not touristy and crowded in April, and neither is it dead as a doornail before Easter. It's true some establishments (the most touristy ones, of course) close for the winter and reopen the Tuesday after Easter, but all the main attractions are there and open, the markets are in full swing, most all cafés and restaurants are open, etc. And since Easter is late this year I imagine a lot of shopkeepers will not stick to the Tuesday after Easter re-opening. The Dordogne is usually absolutely gorgeous in April.
Old Nov 4th, 2011, 02:29 PM

If Burgundy, I think that northern Burgundy is more interesting from a touristy point of view.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...7622755059630/
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Ivy

Have been to Burgundy - but have not been to Alsace or Champagne - do you think those areas would be good that time of year - am a major fan of Champagne (the beverage).

St Cirq - if i have a week, would you say Dordogne is enough or should I pair it with Provence? or is that crazy in one week? many thanks!
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 02:46 PM

Some see enough of the Dordogne in three days, others come back to the region repeatedly.