Reload this Page >

Why Travel With Children?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 1999, 07:16 AM
Joanne

Throughout this forum, there are questions about traveling with children, which inevitably draw responses such as leave the kids at home, they won't even remember it, they aren't interested in museums, etc. <BR> <BR>Parallel to these comments are the ones that "beat up" on American parents and children. (American children rule their parents, children always kick the airplane seat and can't behave on long flights, American kids are loud and obnoxious, American families are geographically chauvinistic, and don't understand or appreciate other cultures.) <BR> <BR>Our family policy is to travel without our children when the marriage wants to be strengthened, and with our children the rest of the time. These are our reasons, and I would invite you to share yours: <BR> <BR>(1) To let the kids enjoy time with their parents when their parents are relaxed. <BR> <BR>(2) To let mom and dad experience Europe through the eyes of their children. (Nick pointed out detail in the end wall of the Sistine Chapel that I had never noticed.) <BR> <BR>(3) To teach children from an early age how to behave on airplanes and in restaurants. <BR> <BR>(4) To expose kids to other cultures so that appreciation and understanding is naturally absorbed. <BR> <BR>(5) To lure the kids into art and history, through brief, but dynamic contact with the great museums of the world. (Brooks took 27 pictures of the David, and brought them to show his 2nd grade class.) <BR> <BR>(6) To force kids to think outside of the box, and develop flexibility, for instance, when Taylor realized that it was either escargot and pate (not peanut butter and jelly) or be hungry until breakfast. <BR> <BR>(7) In appreciation of the fact that anything can happen in life - you don't always get out free. Smell the roses, and teach your children to smell them. (Taylor will be one year free of cancer next month, and we're working on smelling the roses.)

Old Apr 16th, 1999, 07:41 AM
Michele

American children are no beter or worse behaved than others. I have seen and been on the receiving end of seat kickers and screamers of all races and nationalities. Of course, many children are well-behaved. It depends largely on their parents. <BR> <BR>I began travelling with my prents when I was four and have no problem with children travelling, but they should have manners and parents need to be aware of just how much a child can absorb and which activities are best for the child. If you are travelling with children, their interests are paramount, not yours. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 16th, 1999, 07:50 AM
martha

Because, as the "immensely wealthy" thread shows, travel doesn't have to a budget-busting experience, so you can afford to take the kids. <BR> <BR>Because you don't decide to do fun things with the kids based on their ability to remember it, and kids are interested in a lot of things-just not necessarily the Official Approved Sights in the Official Approved Way. <BR> <BR>Because you have the ingenuity to figure out how to do things that you'll both enjoy, or can alternate pleasures so everyone has a good time every day. <BR> <BR>Because you know how to keep your infant entertained or your children know how to behave appropriately (for the situation and for their age). <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 16th, 1999, 07:52 AM
martha

Oops. Last one: <BR> <BR>Because, as Rick Steves says, you have to parent anyway. Why not do it someplace interesting?

Old Apr 16th, 1999, 06:58 PM
raeona

Bravo, Michele! That last line says it all -- and tho we never took our kids to Europe, it was something we should have had imprinted on our minds even on the smallest of w/e getaways in the states. <BR> <BR>And Joanne, your last line, placed with tremendous effect, is an always-needed wake up call.

Old Apr 16th, 1999, 09:10 PM
stephanie

Joanne, we smell the roses everyday too. Our first daughter was born 3 mo. premature and spent her 1st. mo. of life on a ventilator - we're so glad that she's now fine, & 3 1/2 and counting. <BR> <BR>We have travelled with her and now her younger sister since she was 9mo. old. It's amazing how soon they get to be good travelers if you start them early. <BR> <BR>Why? Because they DO notice trivial details that we adults might never notice. Because I'm always amazed how much they remember about a trip at such a young age. Because I don't want to look through vacation photo albums years from now with my kids, be oogling over how great it was and have them ask, "why am I not in the picture, where was I?" Because for all its hard work, limited itineraries due to the kids' limited attention spans, and exhaustion, every vacation we've taken with our kids has been more memorable than any I took before they were alive. We aren't gauranteed that we will all live long full lives. I'd hate to look back or be on my death bed and say I cheated myself and children by not spending some of the most wondereful and interesting experiences of my life with them - travel in particular. <BR> <BR>I don't feel that the point of taking your children to a particular destination is that they will like it or remember it, it is because it is a FAMILY vacation, and the destination is secondary. We have travelled to some destinations that were my husbands idea, ones I protested as inappropriate for small children. We went, and they worked out fine. With the right attitude, flexibility and enthusiasm (and a bit of good parenting thrown in) vacations with children can be as good as you want them to be.

Old Apr 16th, 1999, 09:22 PM
stephanie

Joanne, I also wanted to say that I hope your precious little Taylor has many many more years to smell the roses!

Old Apr 20th, 1999, 10:10 AM
pam

My first response is to ask, 'Why NOT travel with children?' I've never understood why parents left kids at home to go on vacation. My parents took me on my first trip at 9mos of age--when my adoption was final and we could leave the state, in retrospect. Thinking of the "Why do you travel" and "Are you all immensely wealthy/no travel is a priority" thread, I'll answer this to your question, Joanne: Travel is a large source of joy in my life; why would I not want to share that with my child? Travel is heightened, more aware living for me--why would I not want my child with me at my most aware, most alive? Just as I hope he will share my love of books; just as other parents hope to share a love of sports or whatever else with their children, I too hope to share a love of travel with him. And so far (he's ten), I think we do. And I love to watch his face as he sees new & different things. If a child is a sponge, then I really enjoy watching mine soak up new things thru travel. And he'll be gone so soon--there will be many years to travel on my own or with my husband but so few childhood years to travel with my son. Being with him is 'smelling the roses' for me. (OK, most of the time.) Joanne, I hope for the best for Taylor and your family.