Why the silence?

Search

Why the silence?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why the silence?

I ask this in genuine humility and a search for information.

Last weekend, your Memorial Day, there was a post, started Ithink by Judy, remembering the veterans.

This last week, here in the UK, we have had wall to wall D-Day anniversary. Today, one BBC channel has carried nothing but. Yesterday was much the same.

60 years ago today, we lost somewhere between 9000 and 11000 British, American and Canadian soldiers, sailors and airmen. (A drop in the bucket of the 237,000 Allies and 400000 Germans lost between June and August in Normandy)

Every Western leader is in Normandy today, and tens of thousands of veterans of all armies with their families and supporters.

There have been marches past in every seaside town. Every house in the country round about has the flags of Britain and America flying beside the tricolour.

I'm struggling to find a way of askingthis question without sounding pejorative-which I'm really not- but did you not notice?
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 10:50 AM

Sheila, Great post. And it's really moving to hear about the flags hanging side by side!

I think the political ones wore themselves out on the thread about Reagan's death. Any news channel in the US is wall to wall Reagan memorablia.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 10:50 AM

Well I did not want to be a harpy, but I was going to bring it up! I thought someone else would, I am glad you did. I have been watching the ceremonies on C-span. The BBC on line had had some very good video of the cermonies. My dad was on Omaha Beach with the 20n2d Engineers. I want him to write it down or record his memories. God Bless the all, every mother's sons! They are MY heroes, those yeomen soldiers!
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 10:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I was watching it on TV.
And reading many moving articles.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 10:58 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Sheila, I posted a question to Danny regarding why the thread was locked. Apparently my message was deleted; before it was some other poster said they thought it was because the original thread wasn't travel-related. I respectfully disagree, but unless this one's zapped too, here's the original thread. It can't be topped.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34502631
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 12:30 PM

I watched a lot of the ceremonies on BBC. I thought the Songs of Praise program today was particularly moving.
And to make this travel related, we're thinking of stopping at some of the memorial sites in Normandy on our drive back from the Loire Valley.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 12:39 PM

Sheila, there was a wonderful segment on the news the other night about how strong the appreciation for the D-Day (and follow-on) forces still is in Normandy. As you've alluded to, the French people there have certainly not forgotten the tremendous sacrifices made by those heroic soldiers in order to liberate them from fascist tyranny.

One of the most moving parts of the segment showed an elderly French woman who had been a young girl during D-Day. Now blind, she was touching the faces of some soldiers to show her continued appreciation.

I remember flying over those hallowed beaches on the way back from Paris in 1994. Someday I hope to visit them and the cemetaries. They're a sobering reminder that -- as I said on the Memorial Day thead -- while war is the most horrific kind of hell, it is sometimes necessary.

I have nothing but admiration for the veterans of WWII, from all the Allied countries.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 12:59 PM

Thanks for bringing this up Sheila.

I watched most of the coverage today & found it tremendously moving, particularly the march of the veterans through Arromanches.

And mgmargate - the other week (when you hijacked a thread about the lives lost in the tragic accident at CDG Airport in Paris) I politely suggested that you ease up on the political rantings. Now I suggest - less politely - that you take your poisonous bile elsewhere.

Jim
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 01:28 PM

We'll we're on our way to a D-Day fete. Some French friends of ours are hosting it at a bar called L'Hexagone.

I heard an interview with that blind French woman on the radio the other day (and with other people in Normandy as well). My eyes welled up with tears; I had difficulty driving.

American and European alike, I think we all owe a great debt to the brave men and women of Canada, Britain, and the U. S. who liberated Europe, as well as to all of the Europeans who resisted the Fascists and fought for their freedom.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 01:33 PM

JJBHOY: Another loon from the left strikes.I have never hijacked any thread.I only respond with the facts when one of your ilk spews.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 01:43 PM

Sheila -

I hope I am interpretting your question correctly - it is my perception that while Americans do recognize June 6 as D-Day, and honor and appreciate the brave men who fought so valiently, we tend to "celebrate" all of our veterans on Memorial Day, which is held the last Monday in May. This year both holidays happened to fall within the same week, so there was a lot of coverage about D-Day on Memorail Day, plus they dedicated the long awaited WWII veterans memorial in Washington D.C. last weekend. I suppose if America had been bombed and/or invaded by the Nazi's, we would look at D-Day much differently, just my opinion/observation.

Insomnia got me at 4:00 this morning, so I was lucky enough to catch the ceremonies live on ABC, however, their coverage was certainly not in-depth. Since I don't have cable or satellite on my TV, I didn't have access to more concise coverage, so thanks for sharing some of the moments & images. (We did watch "Saving Private Ryan" the other night, which was fresh in my mind as I watched the coverage this morning.)

If I may quote an unnamed veteran who I saw last weekend being interviewed on T.V., "Blood is red, and dead is dead." God bless those who gave their all. Peace.

Robyn

Old Jun 6th, 2004, 01:44 PM

Sheila,
We have been watching the D-Day ceremonies on television and the coverage of President Reagans passing, all day.
I have been so unlucky as to have gotten bronchitis and have not felt like posting on Fodors today.
I see flags all over my neighborhood and town. We are all noticing in our own ways, I guess.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 02:44 PM

Sheila,

Good post...I think.

Lots of coverage here in the US, of course, but our greatest president passed away yesterday so that's taking up the news too.

To contemplate the heroism of those who stormed the beached June 6 is unfathomable. Indeed, they changed the world.

Old Jun 6th, 2004, 02:53 PM

I haven't posted because I've been down on the Mall in Washington with thousands of others seeing the new WWII Memorial and doing my very meager bit to honor all those brave men and women.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 03:09 PM

Sheila, I have been watching the history channel for years now..Believe me, I watched many stories about D-Day, and the great sacrifice that the Greater Generations did, to make certain that the world was at peace again..
I did not post anything about this special day, because we just celebrated Memorial Day a couple of Days Ago.

Being raised in a military family and being married to an AF man, I can fully understand the meanings of Honour and what it means to Sacrifice everything for your beloved Country..
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 04:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
>but did you not notice?<

Yes. At home, school, work, community and church. In family discussions. Also in newspapers and on television. Can't avoid it. Wouldn't choose to. But I choose to refrain from the inevitable pissing contests that erupt here when anything remotely political enters the fray.

I apologize for my angry tone because your posts are always intelligent and generous. There are plenty of us who think, speak and act responsibly in our actual lives and save the travel repartee for fodors.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 05:27 PM

obxgirl, you stated it very well. I think all posts, Religious or plitical not related to travel should be deleted, it only makes for hostile responses.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 05:40 PM

I agree with cigalechanta and obxgirl. I think we've all noticed from the numerous news casts, articles, etc. but this is a travel board meant for travel-related questions and suggestions, so I wouldn't have expected anything to be posted about it.

Tracy
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 05:50 PM

Actually, Sheila, the timing of Reagan's death has led to broadcasts of a clip of him, repeatedly shown here, in which he's presiding over a ceremony in France on the 40th anniversary of D-Day.

The single largest amphibious attack in modern history was orchestrated by military leaders who were well aware that casualties could be as high as 70%. I don't think for a moment they were callous or totally composed every moment about it; if you multiply the population of the town where I work by 4, you have somewhere in the ballpark of the number of American military personnel who died in WWII. Tonight I had the opportunity to hear from a fellow who landed on Utah beach 4 days after D-Day. He said that dead GIs were all over the beach, covered with military green blankets, just their boots sticking out.

D-Day was surely, for all I can think, the day the greatest sacrifice was made in the name of freedom and against tyranny and oppression in the Western world. It was a true and total sacrifice, because of the numbers of lives, in most cases young lives, given to stop a madman named Hitler, who was trying to take over the world. Two of my Canadian uncles died that day, and are buried in France. My father, serving in the Canadian Navy, was spared, otherwise I'd not be here.

I was a little amazed that President Bush said we'd be at France's side if France ever needed our help again. Given the somewhat tenuous nature of the relationship between France and America since America's invasion of Iraq and France's refusal to enter into a coalition force against Iraq, I thought this was a rather hopeful note.

D-Day, was, after all, an event poised on hope; hope that a meglomaniac intent on creating an Aryan world could and would be vanquished by those who believe freedom is an inalienable right that knows no borders or boundaries.

May your D-Day, or what is left of it, be filled with hope, and appreciation.

BC
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 06:01 PM

Boy, do I agree, "Hopeful"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -