Reload this Page >

Why not aspirin?

Search

Why not aspirin?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 10:03 PM
chris

Why not aspirin?

I was reading Rick Steve's First Aid kit list and keep reading to bring non-aspirin medicine along like tylenol. What's wrong with bringing aspirin? You see I don't know much about medicine.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 11:34 PM
liz

I would certainly worry more about Tylenol than Asperin. Most of the concerns with asperin is that it thins the blood and if you have a bleed it may make it worse. However I would rather that than take the possible side-effects of any other drug because Asperin can be used effectively for reducing fever as well as a anti-inflamatory drug. I am going on holiday myself, and my husband ( a medical doctor for 40 years ) and I will be taking asperin.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 12:13 AM
Angela

Children under 12 should not take aspirin, perhaps that is why he does not advise it.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 04:34 AM
Arlene

I read recently that it is advisable to take aspirin before a long flight. I don't know whether the reasoning is to avoid blood clots or jetlag! I have also read recently that it is advisable to take one baby aspirin daily.(in general...nothing to do with travel) <BR><BR>

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 04:43 AM
Rex

One baby aspirin a day (and perhaps any dose of aspirin before a long sedentary plane ride) both are directed at reducing the risk of clot formation. Reducing clot formation also increases the risk of bleeding - - i.e, certain forms of stroke, and gastrointestinal bleeding - - which could be associated with acute (or chronic) alcohol intake - - especially in great quantity.<BR><BR>Acetaminophen (in overdose) is more toxic to liver than aspirin, and thus needs to be taken with caution when alcohol intake is excessive.<BR><BR>All medications have risks, some are worse than others. Your risks depend on your personal health history.<BR><BR>This is not to be construed as medical advice to anyone who reads it. I do not give medical advice to any adult, nor to the parents of any baby that I have not examined.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex Bickers, M.D.<BR>Fellow, American Academy of Pediatrics<BR>

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 05:30 AM
Dr. Margo

Why? because Rick is an idiot. He has no idea what is talking about, maybe he should stick with his favorite advise about hiding your money in your pubic hair. As Rex said, aspirin is actually recommended to reduce the risk for clots formation (DVT) during long flights.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 06:18 AM
Suit-wary

Rick was just avoiding a lawsuit in case someone claimed that he told them to take aspirin and they gave it to their kid and the kid got Reyes' syndrome, or in case someone took too much aspirin and claimed he caused their hemorrhage, stroke, or whatever. <BR><BR>For what it's worth, I've found that aspirin "ages" more quickly than acetominiphen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil), and that it's more likely to make my ears ring like telephones.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 08:04 AM
Doctor Too

Aspirin is NOT an anti-inflammatory. <BR><BR>Ibuprofen IS.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 08:22 AM
curious

What are the chances of forming a blood clot on a trans-Atlantic flight? Would normal movement be just as effective as taking an aspirin? Do you doctors here recommend a younger person to take aspirin? Just curious.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 09:00 AM
Bob Brown

Aspirin is so an anti-inflammatory drug! In fact, it is the oldest anti-inflammatory drug around, dating to 1897! To say it is not an anti-inflammatory is the statement of a misinformed person. <BR><BR>Perhaps Dr. Bickers will speak to this issue. He has the credentials to do so. <BR><BR>Of course pharmacists often know more about drugs than physicians, and any one of thousands of registered pharmacists will tell you that aspirin is one of the most effective anti inflammatories around. Unfortunately it has some bad side effects when used in a high enough dosage to relieve severe inflammatory diseases. On the other hand, some 80 billion aspirin tablets are consumed each year. <BR><BR>I find it interesting, too, that people say that aspirin is a blood thinner, and warn against it, but do not mention the common drug Aleve, which is a non prescription compound of naproxyn sodium. It knocks the platelet count down, too. (Which means the blood cannot clot as effectively. Ibuprofin and other non steroidal anti inflammatories do the same. Which is why most surgeons normally will tell a patient to stop taking of any of these non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs several days before surgery, even dermatologic surgery.) <BR><BR>Acetaminophen is an analgesic and an effective anti-pyretic (fever reducer), but it is not an anti inflammatory agent. <BR>

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 09:01 AM
Dr.Margo

Normal movement would be fine, but think of doing that in a 10-12 hours flight when you are sandwiched between two other people sleeping.... And aspirin is not specifically recommended for kids, the reference was I believe, regarding the dosage 81 mg of aspirin, better know as baby aspirin.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 09:08 AM
curious

'ttt<BR>This is fascinating to me. I love to learn about thses things.<BR>I sometimes give my 10 year old a tylenol or similar, does anyone know if this is safe? I am sure I will ask my doc next time, but have thought this was ok (body weight, etc) for about a year.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 09:09 AM
Kev

Would aspririn be indicated for someone suffering the effects of PAS? (pompous ass syndrome)

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 09:38 AM
Turn in your license

Doc, what are you THINKING, saying that aspirin is not an anti-inflammatory. Of COURSE it is; it was the first one. Where did you get your degree?

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 09:41 AM
IbuTylsprin

Most pediatricians recommend Tylenol for kids, rather than aspirin or even ibuprofens. No problem there unless your kid has unusual additional chronic problems (kidney or liver). It's what they give in children's hospitals.<BR><BR>Thanks, Bob Brown for informative post. I can't believe the "Doc too" post was written by a doctor -- there is no MD who would ever claim that aspirin is not an anti-inflammatory. I'm not even sure you can get INTO med school without knowing that!!! (Just kidding!)

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 10:01 AM
Rex

Yes, as others have clearly corrected, aspirin is the prototype anti-inflammatory drug.<BR><BR>And aspirin is contraindicated for children under age 12 who have high fever associated with chickenpox or influenza. It was never proven whether this combination actually "caused" Reyes syndrome or not - - but the disease essentially disappeared once the universal advice to avoid aspirin in this situation was adopted in widespread fashion. Strong epidemiologic evidence.<BR>

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 01:58 PM
up

up

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 02:33 PM
Therese

Rex's tip re avoiding acetaminophen (Tylenol) when you've been drinking alcohol is a good one. Probably not a concern after a couple of glasses of wine with dinner, but if you've had enough that you're pretty sure you're going to be hung over the next day, don't take acetaminophen as part of your hangover prophylaxis regimen. <BR><BR>And, um, yeah, aspirin is an anti-inflammatory agent.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 03:10 PM
Grandma

I managed a cardiologist's practice for many years.... and know many rheumatoid arthritis sufferers....... Rex's advice is right on. But one should ALWAYS check with your M.D. The smallest things can make a difference with an individual.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 03:36 PM
John

"There are many different types of NSAIDs, including aspirin and other salicylates. Examples include ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil), naproxen (Naprosyn), sulindac (Clinoril), diclofenac (Voltaren), piroxicam (Feldene), ketoprofen (Orudis), diflunisal (Dolobid), nabumetone (Relafen), etodolac (Lodine), oxaprozin (Daypro), indomethacin (Indocin), and newer ones which will be marketed over the next few years. Aspirin is anti-inflammatory when given in high doses, otherwise it is just a pain killer like acetaminophen (Tylenol)." This is from the Lupus Foundation of America.<BR><BR>The dosage you would need to take for aspirin to become anti-inflammatory is way too high, considering the side effects. There are many true anti-inflammatory drugs out there without the risks of such high dosages of aspirin (such as ibuprofen). <BR><BR>As a rule, aspirin is not considered an anti-inflammatory by most people in the medical profession, and certainly not by pharmacists. (I'm a pharmacist.)<BR><BR>Frankly, I'm surprised at you, Rex. You should know better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -