Reload this Page >

Why No Mention of the Trevere River?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2000, 08:44 AM
nancy

Question of curiosity! <BR>In Venice, all the books and rental sites talk about the canals, and it seems desirable to stay in a hotel/apartment there. <BR>In Florence, the Arno,factors in heavily as a selling point. <BR>But in all I have read about Rome, the Trevere is not mentioned much and certainly not touted as a place to have your apt/hotel overlook. <BR>Why is this? <BR>Is it very dirty? <BR>Is it not picturesque? <BR>Next year we are renting an apt. next to the Palazzo Farnese. <BR>This is a few blocks from the river. <BR>So, what about this river. <BR>Any info? <BR>Thanks so much. <BR>Nancy

Old Jun 24th, 2000, 10:15 AM
Al

Perhaps I can help -- Travere is Italian for Tiber. What we call the Tiber River is the Travere to the Romans. Trastavere, a suburb, simply means: across the Tiber. For most of the year, the Tiber is a sluggish stream, heavy with silt and other stuff washed down from inland points.

Old Jun 24th, 2000, 10:21 AM
noname

The spelling is Tevere.

Old Jun 24th, 2000, 03:25 PM
nancy

Al, <BR>Thanks, I knew that what we call the Tiber is the Tevere in Rome, but I wasn't sure why it is ignored as an attraction/asset. <BR>So basically what you are saying is this river is not a beautiful place to sit by, walk along,gaze at. <BR>thanks much. <BR>Nancy

Old Jun 24th, 2000, 06:08 PM
karen

The Tevere is confined within high embankments, which in turn are bordered by major traffic arteries (called the Lungotevere, or "along the Tiber." Although the sidewalks on the river side of the Lungotevere are bordered by large trees and would otherwise be nice for strolling, this is pretty much ruined by the constant noise and smell of traffic. The buildings are not close enough to the river to have much of a view. (I suppose up high there must be one.) The numerous bridges are historically significant and in some cases quite beautiful (Ponte Sisto is my favorite), but I don't think there is much advantage to being right along the river in Rome. The Piazza Farnese is another matter! It's a beautiful place to stay. We've rented an apartment there for next year, too!

Old Jun 25th, 2000, 05:54 AM
nancy

Karen, <BR>Thank you so much for your info. <BR>It is so descriptive , that I can visualize what you mean. <BR>That is too bad about the Tevere, though,we will still walk to it to check it out. <BR>Our apt is on Via della Corda. <BR>are you close by to that? <BR>Thanks again for this info, you answered my question thoroughly! <BR>You also solved a mystery for me. <BR>I looked for translation for Lungotevere <BR>But could not find one, now I know what that means also!! <BR>Nancy