Why do you travel?

Search

Why do you travel?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2007, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do you travel?

Just wondering why people leave the security of home to go somewhere else.
To learn? To rest? To experience new things?
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 01:45 PM

All the above & to experience what is totally different from where I live now. And also, because I can.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 01:45 PM

Without a doubt, it is to experience other cultures, broaden my narrow mind, and feel a sense of connectedness with both the earth, its beauty, and its inhabitants.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 01:51 PM

We live in perhaps the very best pueblo magico in the entire world, but travel to enjoy all experiences.
M
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 01:51 PM

Hi mom04,

To live life the way it was meant to be lived -- at least for a short time.

s
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 01:53 PM
ira

Well being retired to a small town in rural GA, we retire to get away from the stress and bustle.

Old Apr 1st, 2007, 02:20 PM

Entshuldiegangsie Ira?
Perhaps travel viz retire, lol?
Buen viaje, mi amigo.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 02:27 PM

I travel to stay sane, I have this bug that I acquired from my parents at a young age. Its called vacationitis. There are just too many things going on outside my little world to stay home. I get a fever after about every six months at home. I wish we were more liberal with our time off as the Europeans are. But then again maybe I wouldn't appreciate the time off as much. Something about not enjoying the sunshine as much without a little rain. To good travels, Here Here, thereyet
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 02:39 PM
ira

Hi mikemo,

3 languages in 3 sentences.

Pretty good.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 03:30 PM

I think it's in my blood.As a kid all ever thought about was going off on adventures/journey's. I'd love to be a modern day nomad. But instead I take little to big trips here and there. One of these days I'll explore my own backyard (Maryland) a little more closely.

Old Apr 1st, 2007, 04:43 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
To justify my Fodors addiction.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 05:21 PM
Pausanias

Wakes me up and reminds me of what I'm missing at home.

Old Apr 1st, 2007, 05:40 PM

LOL, according to Someone, it is because some of us are Not Content with their Lives
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34928047

Experiencing New Things, teaches you about yourself.

And I don't really look at it as <i> leaving the <b>security</b> of home</i> I feel pretty secure wherever I go.
I hate to imagine sitting in the same place for years and years, getting more and more Dull.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 05:57 PM

I like to leave the insecurity of home to experience the security of being free and on the loose in the world at large.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 06:44 PM

I caught &quot;travel fever&quot; in 1981 with my first trip tp Hawaii. There is NO cure so I have to travel to make the hives go away.

When I get home from a 2 or 3 week trip to Europe, I'm on the computer looking for something else the next day. And most times I have another booked before I have even left. It gives me something to look forward to.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 07:08 PM

The answer is from this old song:

&quot;Far away places with strange-sounding names
Far away over the sea
Those far away places with strange-sounding names
Are calling, calling me.

I'm going to China or maybe Siam,
But I'm longing to see for myself
Those far-away places I've been reading about
In a book that I took from the shelf.

I start getting restless whenever I hear
The whistle of a train.
I long for the day I can get under way
And visit those castles in Spain.&quot;

Those are more or less the words.

I wonder if my longing to travel didn't start when I used to hear the train whistle as a child. The sound is different now, but it still makes me want to go off on an adventure somewhere...
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 08:31 AM

&lt;Wakes me up and reminds me what I am missing at home.&gt;

At the risk of sounding selfish and ungrateful, this is definitely not true for me. The day before returning home from Europe stirs such emotions - I cry each time because I do not want to return home. Perhaps this is because our climate is so horrible, we have so little history, nothing really to see for hundreds of miles, no great cuisines, etc.

I travel for experiences - every single moment to me in Europe is precious. I refuse to take even the small things for granted. To travel is adventure and way of life for me. I would not trade the knowledge I gain for anything. If I could I could I would travel for a living to experience ways of life, cultures, history, food, etc. Not just experience it - live it. I basically live to travel and travel to live.

When traveling I have so much energy that I could go hard all day long so I could not say we travel to rest. In the sense that &quot;rest&quot; means getting away from stressful jobs, even if busy &quot;doing&quot; while traveling, then we have rest in that aspect. We are not the relaxing at beaches type at all.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 09:19 AM
Pausanias

Mmmm -- perhaps I should have written &quot;reminds me of what I miss at home.&quot;

What I meant was that I find being overseas stimulating. At home I tend to lapse into routine and pay less attention than I should to my surroundings -- I'm a little less alive. What I'm &quot;missing&quot; at home is the sensory overload of travel.

Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 09:58 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
because &quot;the security of home&quot; gets boring.

it depends on the type of trip. some are to relax (Hawaii, Mexico) some are to get some culture (Europe). all are to experience new things and stretch your boundaries.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 10:24 AM
fnn

It is a bit like an addicition - I need to get on a plane going somewhere that requires a passport. Otherwise, I get restless and grumpy. Good thing I am leaving next week for Italy &amp; Paris!

Also, travel is the best education there is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -