Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Why can't you purchase tickets directly from the Olympic Air website?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi.

I have searched the entire Olympic Air website to purchase tickets, but unfortunately to no avail? Am I missing something? Does the company not want to stay in business? Anyone know why it is like this?

Thanks in advance.

Ross.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 07:12 AM
ira

Perhaps if you called them at their 800 number, found under "Contact Us" you could ask them directly.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 08:57 AM

I have no idea why that is, but if it means they're focused more on flying than keeping up a website, I'm all for it.

They also don't have e-tickets. If you purchase a ticket from them, you have to either pick it up from an O.A. office, or you can choose to do a "prepay". Basically you pay for the ticket, then go pick it up at the time of your flight. This costs extra money. Maybe you can have the ticket sent to you for no charge...I didn't have the option since I was on a last minute flight out of Santorini.

That was my experience with buying from Olympic this past April.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 12:20 PM

newyorkais

Aegean Air fly some of the same routes Olympic do. They have online booking available. See them at:-

www.aegeanair.com/

T.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 10:03 PM

Consider yourself fortunate if you can never buy a ticket. This is the worst airline we ever flew with. Dirty plane, disgusting bathrooms, indifferent crew, who spent most of their time in the galley with the curtains closed smoking. It was awful! Loved Greece; hated their airline.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 10:15 PM

Haha Giovanna...I'd be inclined to agree! But it was certainly an experience...the guy at check-in at the tiny airport in Santorini gave me my boarding pass with one hand while he held a cigarette with the other. I felt like I was on the set of "Wings" in a bizarre, parallel universe!
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 01:19 AM

I got my Olympic Airline tickets for October from travelocity. The cost was not bad the $5.00 per ticket service charge and $15.00 for the FedX .I got my tickets in two days. The price for the ticktes were about the same as the Airlines price without the extra charges added .And i have them in hand
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone.

Thank you for all of your responses so far. First off, let me say that Olympic no longer has a functioning 800 # in the US. Secondly, I have to use this airline as Aegean does not fly the route that I need from Santorini to Rhodes. I indeed checked on Travelocity and Expedia where the tickets are available. The extra charge of $5 a ticket I can understand. I didn't really like the fact that since Olympic doesn't offer E-tickets that I would have to pay an additional $20 to have them FedEx'd to me. I've decided to go directly to the Olympic office today here in NYC where I live and purchase the two tickets that I need and save myself the extra $30. For an airline that has transatlantic routes as well as domestic service, I find it bad business practice not to allow potential customers from around the globe to purchase tickets off their own website. It's just common business sense in the age of the Internet and a global economy.

I do appreciate your help.

Thanks again.

Ross.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 04:47 AM
ira

Hi Ross,

If you dial 800 2231226 you will be connected with people who claim to work for Olympic Airways.

I cannot vouch for their honesty, but the Olympic Airways website lists this as their toll-free number.

Old Aug 4th, 2003, 04:55 AM

Perhaps they do not feel it such a necessity as western/American airlines do to offer online purchasing. You must remember that internet access in Greece is not as widespread as in much of Europe or the US and so many Greeks will still go and buy tickets in person. Few people have broadband outside of Athens and so shopping online can be kind of painful in Greece. There are many other airlines who still have yet to offer online purchasing. In fact I would guess that fewer than 50% of international carriers offer it.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Hi.

I stand corrected regarding the 800 # for Olympic Airways. I was not given this information when I had inquired.

Thanks.

Ross.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 06:34 AM

call the 800 number-they're in NY (Queens0.
they'll fedex the paper tickets-works like a charm. it did for me last week.
mark