Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Why a Fodorites' trip? and who would want to go on one?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 03:58 PM
Rex

Many of you have no doubt seen references I have posted, here and there, to "our" fall Fodorites' trip to the south of France, tentatively planned for September 19-October 2, 2001. I believe that this will be the first "true" Fodorites' trip - - that is, a trip suggested "in" a message "thread" here - - and evolved entirely through Internet communications between people who know each other solely through this forum. Of course, eventually others ("non-Fodorites") may end up among the participants. But for now, this is an "all-Fodorites" endeavor. <BR> <BR>Let me repeat, and I hope that other prospective participants will confirm this - - this trip is totally non-profit, and no financial advantage will exist for anyone planning, leading or participating in this trip, myself included. I will pay an identical, and equally divided share of all trip expenses with every other participant. I am NOT in ANY "business" of small group tours. Small group tours are my hobby and a passion of mine. <BR> <BR>A few people have even raised the question of excessive self-promotion, or my "hogging" the board to bring attention to this trip. <BR> <BR>To that end, I feel certain that a web page will be the best way to communicate certain kinds of information to other Fodorites' - - especially prospective participants - - but equally to onlookers who are simply curious as to how "our" little experiment is progressing. <BR> <BR>I am no HTML wizard. I understand a few fundamentals about creating and uploading simple web pages that are mostly (or entirely) text, or simple pictures, and maybe some combination of the two (especially modifying a web page that someone else created, for example). <BR> <BR>I intend to create a web page (more accurately, a series of web pages, I guess) on http://www.geocities.com to provide more detailed information about the trip. I will add links or any other pertinent information whenever suggested or requested. Based on the way Geocities operates, I don't think I can make it possible for anyone else to add to the page. But let me know, and I will upload any other info that might be relevant. <BR> <BR>In the message immediately after this one, I am placing a first draft of what I plan to use as the "home page" to what I plan to put up on Geocities. I will probably plan to actually put this up in the next few days, after some feedback - - either from the "public" here - - or via e-mail, from my "mailing list" of interested parties and prospective participants. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex Bickers <BR>Westerville, Ohio <BR>

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 03:59 PM
Rex

Here is the first draft of my "home" (web) page for the ("first ever?")fall 2001 Fodorites' trip - - to the south of France and northern Italy. <BR> <BR>=============================== <BR> <BR>The "Fodorites' trip" - - a small group trip to the south of France and northern Italy <BR>September 19-October 2, 2001 <BR> <BR>Introductory paragraph <BR> <BR>What is a Fodorite? And what does that have to do with this trip? <BR>Why a Fodorite trip? And who would want to go on it? <BR> <BR>What is the itinerary of the trip? <BR>Does it include air travel to Europe? From what cities? <BR>How firm are the dates of the trip? <BR> <BR>Is there any more info about the "villa stay"? <BR>What is there to do and see in the Lake Garda region? <BR> <BR>Who is going on the trip? <BR>What will it cost? <BR> <BR>Links, related websites <BR> <BR>=============================== <BR> <BR>For starters, I already HAVE uploaded "Why a Fodorite trip? And who would want to go on it?" <BR> <BR>You can read it at <BR> <BR>http://www.geocities.com/rexbickers/...oritesTrip.htm <BR> <BR>Please note that upper and lower case is essential (must be typed in exactly as shown - - or better to cut and paste) to access this page. <BR> <BR>I hope that this serves a useful purpose - - to let people know info about "our" trip without using this board to post information that would take up too much space and be too much "in everyone's face". <BR>

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 04:01 PM
goodquestions

Why ARE you doing this? I'm not out to blame you, just curious. Can you answer the WHY/HOW/WHO here? <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 04:01 PM
Rex

This is the only thing I can think to do. <BR> <BR>Start over. <BR> <BR>Let the other one sink. <BR>

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 04:10 PM
Annette

First, to all you "Can't Stand Rex'ers" out there I'd like to say that these internet message boards are an imperfect medium for communication and sometimes people who are naturally loquacious and know a thing or two about a thing or two come across as pompous and arrogant. Iin Rex's case, all you'd need to do would be exchange emails a couple times with him and talk on the phone to see he is just a truly nice, regular family guy who happens to have a BIG interest in European travel, especially group European travel. Gee, for a M.D., he's downright humble and also totally not stuck-up. He's working hard on this trip. <BR> <BR>As of this date, we have two people comitted to the trip, Claye and myself. Claye is a well-read Georgia fellow in his early forties whose been to Italy before and this will be my first trip (though not first to Europe). We have something like 15 people who are interested but not comitted. If 11 people inhabit the villa (6500 sq feet)the lodging cost for 7 nights will be approx. $230 and naturally the whole trip will cost less. <BR> <BR>I'm not normally a big group person: I've traveled solo to England before for a month trip and haven't been on a tour bus since I was 14, but I know this sort of group trip will be a lot of fun. People, naturally, can branch off and find there own ways to explore Northern Italy's history, landscape and cuisine. I'm thinking about a mid-week overnight trip to Venice, seeing Verona, the Sigurta Gardens, Mantova's Palazzo Ducale...My apologies if this message is too "in your face" but I can't think of any other way to call all interested Fodorites to Italy! <BR>

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 04:15 PM
Maira

Rex--- I will be travelling to Rome in Nov, if not, I would seriously consider joining your group. I hope you have a good time putting this trip together, and even a better time, once you get there. <BR> <BR>Please let us know once in a while how's everything going <BR>

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 04:21 PM
s.fowler

You may not believe me.. but what makes me sad is that you are completely unaware of how annoying you are and how transparently you are displaying your personality defects for all to see. [Where is Dr. Betty when we need her?] <BR> <BR>I *care* about this forum. And the fact is is becoming "all Rex all the time" makes me sad. It's a place I have enjoyed logging into for over 4 years -- and now it's not much fun... because every other message has your self-aggrandizing fingerprints on it. One thing I learned the hard way is when to walk away. It's not a bad lesson to lesrn.

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 04:21 PM
ro

i think its great that rex is undertaking the task of trying to put a trip to italy together. this is no small task trying to get a group of people together from all various parts of the country; and then to have them all agree on the itinerary. i am so glad for rex and people like him who are willing to do put a trip together of this magnitude w/o knowing any of us. thank you rex and don't let the dogs get you down. <BR>

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 04:22 PM
s.fowler

Ro -- I'll take your comments seriously when you post, as I do, a real name and a real email.

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 04:28 PM
bashful

Just don't understand why people continue to harp on this ... Rex appears to be putting in a great deal of time and effort to put together a trip and I think it most unfair for some posters to keep "hinting" and making allegations that this is for financial gain. As the saying goes "put your money where your mouth is" and prove your allegations or keep them to yourself! <BR>

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 04:32 PM
Monica

Hi Rex, <BR> <BR>I have had many “fodorites” luncheons with many others from this site. This group lives in the DC/MD/VA area. My first get together was in 1999 in Paris and was the first (I believe) fodorites get together. Six of us met at Café de Magots and we all had a great time. I know this has spread out to other states such as CA, FL, NY, and KY. Since then, a couple of people from “my group” have mentioned that we take a trip together. I think it’s a great idea and I think your plans for one in Sep/Oct is great. I hope you have a good turnout! And to share my fun times with you and anyone else interested, my travel page has some photos from my luncheons: http://www.luvtotravel.homestead.com/home.html. <BR> <BR>Maira, Dawn (another fodorite!) and I will be in Italy in November. We’re planning to be there the first 2 weeks. Maybe we can meet you someplace. Miriam (another fodorite from Germany) and her husband may meet us in Venice! <BR>

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 04:41 PM
Sue

Rex, I just read your website and I think you gave a very creditable justification for your trip; however, I really think no justification is necessary. I'll never understand people who feel they must criticize what others like or want to do. To each his own, live and let live, one man's meat, etc.. <BR> <BR>That said, one thing I find very appealing about your trip is the villa stay, for that is something we would never be able to do on our own--plus we are not very knowledgeable about Italy. It also affords to opportunity to branch out on your own (away from the group). If we were not planning Maine/Quebec/Gaspe in September, we would surely be interested (and may still be--plans can change). Good luck! <BR>

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 04:45 PM
get it or not

Don't you get it? This is not about any motive for profit.It is all about ego and a need to be loved. It is very sad---s.fowler said it best.

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 04:48 PM
confused proofreader

Is it south of France or north of Italy? There seems to be some discepancy. I don't care since it's not my trip but you all may want to clarify if you're seeking additional participants.

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 04:58 PM
Rex

Dear "confused proofreader" <BR> <BR>You're right - - because all the information hasn't been put together yet for the the website - - this probably does sound confusing. "Our internal" communication (among the 19 Fodorites currently swapping e-mails with each other) has explained this better. <BR> <BR>The current plan is to fly into Nice Sep 19, and spend two nights in the area around Nice, then travel onward to Lake Garda for the seven nights in the villa stay (I'll top a separate thread that gives more info about the villa - - and eventually the website will do this). <BR> <BR>The "after-villa stay" portion remains open for further decision making, but one scenario is to spend three days in either Venice, Florence or Rome, and perhaps fly home from Rome. <BR>

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 05:03 PM
Capo

Re: "This is not about any motive for profit. It is all about ego and a need to be loved. It is very sad." <BR> <BR>Interesting. Seems like even if there's no motive for profit, the guy can't win. <BR> <BR>Let's assume for a moment that it IS about "ego and a need to be loved." You do realize, don't you, that many -- and perhaps most, or all -- entertainers, for just one example, have a "need to be loved" and probably an ego to boot. There's nothing inherently "sad" nor wrong about that. An ego, per se, is no more a vice than humilty, per se, is a virtue. <BR> <BR>One could just as easily turn the tables around and accuse critics of having an ego, and being jealous because THEY have a need to be loved that's not being met. <BR> <BR>Once again, if you have an issue, I'd suggest taking it up with the site administrators.

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 05:08 PM
s.fowler

I am planning on doing that.

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 05:13 PM
Capo

s.fowler ~ I don't know you -- and don't know enough about this whole business to agree with your assertions or not -- but I respect you for not sniping anonymously, for being willing (as I am) to at least post your email address.

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 05:44 PM
Rex

I want to say thank you to Annette, Maira, Rosemarie (ro), "bashful, and especially to Monica. <BR> <BR>In fact to Monica, I have to say (quoting Sir Isaac Newton) <BR> <BR>"If I have been able to see further, <BR>it was only because I stood on the shoulders of giants". <BR> <BR>I know it's a little grandiose a comparison. But I only mean that I count your get-togethers as part of "my heritage" in undertaking this trip. <BR>

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 06:29 PM
Mel

Rex: <BR> <BR>It's been my dream to spend time in a villa in France or Italy. Have you done this before? I'll be anxious to hear what everyone thinks! <BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -