Who is Karen Brown?

Sep 19th, 2000, 05:43 AM
Paige

Who is Karen Brown?

Hello! I keep reading references to Karen Brown's books and I have never heard of her. What's the scoop? Are her books really good or something? Thanks!

Sep 19th, 2000, 06:03 AM
Julia

She tends to review small inns or B&Bs usually at least 3 stars. Check out her web page.

www.karenbrown.com

Sep 19th, 2000, 07:56 AM
Rex

Just one person's opinion: there are NO lemons on www.karenbrown.com!

Best wishes,

Rex

Sep 19th, 2000, 09:38 AM
edie

i am trying to plan a trip to ireland and am finding that lots of her accomodations have email addresses, which makes it easier to check on prices, etc.

Sep 19th, 2000, 10:37 AM
michele

Paige,
She specializes in hotels or B&Bs with character. Many of her books include suggested itineraries. I have used her books for two trips to Spain and my sister used her guide to California B&Bs. We both agreed that her descriptions are excellent. Th owner of the small travel book store that I frequent finds her guides to be extremely popular and has heard that she and her small staff actually visit the places they recommend frequently. I think she is part of the Fodor's group, also. All in all, I am grateful to the couple I met on a train in France who suggested her guides to me. The personal touch is always appreciated.

Sep 19th, 2000, 12:02 PM
Robin

I've used Karen Brown's Bed & Breakfast in Italy for hotel suggestions in Positano. Stayed at La Fenice in Oct '97 and at Villa Rosa in Apr '99 --- her commentary painted an accurate picture of what I found and I was pleased with the suggestions.

Sep 19th, 2000, 02:25 PM
Keith

She's reliable. We've used her for UK, Switzerland, france, and particularly, Italy with 100% satisfaction. The descriptions are not phony and instructions are good. Some of her B&Bs now have Email, so contact her if they're not in the book.

Sep 19th, 2000, 02:33 PM
Bob

Ditto on all of the above. We have 3 of the Brown books and have stayed at many of her recommendations. All usually right on for accuracy. Only comment from a trip to Germany and Switzerland two years ago was that Karen had seemed to go a little more upscale in price on some of the places. This is fine if that is what you want, but we felt her earlier books were more targeted to the little out of the way, neat B and B that was reasonably priced and not a four star hotel. Just check the place and the price. If both are okay with you, go for it. Great series of books.

Sep 19th, 2000, 03:53 PM
pat disharoon

we are going to spain in september. her books were most informative. many of her suggestions were top of the line but also middle of the road. her book is very good. get it.