Who is going to Turkey this year ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2004, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just interested in peoples thoughts, at this stage we are still going. I have taken the precaution of finding out the location of "possible" dangerous places, ie Embassies, major US/UK companies and synagogues ( not very many in Istanbul really)and we intend to avoid them. I am also working on the premise that "they" would not bomb Muslim sites like mosques. Am I wise or naive ?
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 11:19 PM

I am planning a solo trip in late August through to the end of September. Just bought the Let's Go guide for 2002 because it was on special. Glancing through it is really whetting my appetite.

I don't get too carried away by the scaremongers - health precautions are admittedly more necessary than in other parts of Europe, but I will not be looking over my shoulder where terrorism is concerned. As you say, common sense dictates where not to go. And I will be coming in on a flight from a Muslim country (Malaysia), which tends to eliminate my concerns about air terrorism.

I think I will be sticking to Istanbul and the Aegean and Black Sea coasts, but might take a ferry over to Rhodes at some point. That leaves plenty to see on my next trip.

Harzer
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 02:17 AM

I had a great week in Istanbul just three days after the last bombings. Everything was just fine.

You just have to be prepared to go to the airport two hours before the plane leaves from Istanbul since the safety procedures really take time.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 04:16 AM

The only thing that cared me off turkey was being ripped off. When I learned that they demand $100 cash for Americans to enter the country and are gouging tourist $30-45 a pop to see the major sites, I changed my travel plans to someplace else.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 04:33 AM

kbrown,
the 'entrance fee' I had to pay some years ago was remains also an unpleasant part of the trip, but I checked it out with the turkish embassy where I live and they said: "We apply a reciprocity policy, meaning that a turkish visitor to the US pays about the same amount for his visa as an US visitor to Turkey"... I had to pay with my European passport, my Swiss friends got in for free, no visa required...
The visits of mayor historical sites is indeed sometimes very expensive, especially if you compare with the cost of living in Turkey itself... but they obviously don't calculate their entrance fees on their living standard...
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 04:36 AM

Kbrown, that is the visa fee. I bet the Turks must pay the same to enter US. And they DID NOT charge 30-45 dollars for major sights. It was usually 7-8 dollars. And the mosques are free.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 04:50 AM

I'm planning to go to Antalya this summer - will be getting my tickets in the next month and working on my hotel reservations. Many of the Istanbul museum fees are around 10.000.000 TL - which is around $6-$7 US. Many mospques request a 1.000.000 TL donation - $0.35 US.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 12:01 PM

Hi Marko,

I saw one of your message that you were not going to Turkey beceuse of BOMS in Istanbul. Great decision if you change your mind to go to Turkey.

I will be in Turkey JULY to SEPTEMBER if you are coming, WELCOME TO MY HOME in Kusadasi

Sinan Akdeniz
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 01:14 AM
Original Poster

KBrown, I am an Aussie...the Turks like us and only charge $20 for a multi entry Visa, the entry fees that I have seen on the net have all been about the same that we paid in Spain last year, and the general prices of every thing else seems to be a bit below european average. Sinan , thanks for your kind invitation, at this stage we are still going !!
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 01:56 AM
Original Poster

PS That was a joke.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 02:38 AM

I highly suggest all of u visit Turkey Which is full of history,culture and fun.Dont care entrance fees.Be sure it worths every peny.For an extraordinary holiday visit Cappadocia.Magical landscape for trekking,horse ride and hot air balloon flight.(www.goremeballoons.com)

Enjoy Turkey

Antonia Vega
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 10:18 PM
Original Poster

I am not a huge Balloon fan... can't get my teeth inyo a country from the air, I would rather be inside it than floating over it. Just a personal opinion based on previous experience.
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 03:50 AM

Well then, if you want to be 'inside', go and visit the underground cities of Derenkuyu and the troglodyte houses in Zelve and Avanos!
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Original Poster

Thats a very cunning plan Baldrick, thats what we intend to do
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 01:27 PM

We decided last year on Turkey as a destination for this year. The bombings concerned us but it will not stop us from going in May. It is too intriguing of a country to pass up!
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Old Jan 12th, 2004, 08:33 AM

What would the weather be like in late March in Instanbul? Warm? Do Americans have to obtain a VISA to visit Turkey?
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 09:35 AM

Hello:
It's not a land vacation, but my cruise ship stops at Antalya, Turkey next month.
Looks beautiful!

I have been to Istanbul and Ephesus.
Both times, the people have been extremely friendly and gracious.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 01:50 PM

Well, I returned yesterday from a week in Istanbul.

I have to say that after the 2nd bombing I was a bit concerned about going there. I decided to wait and see if the US State department published a travel warning... lo and behold, they did.

Nevertheless, we went anyway.

It was one of the most fantastic experiences I've had in my life!

The city is amazing, with something to see everywhere you are. The Mosques, the palaces, the Bosphorus... it is just amazing.

We arrived there at 4am (cheap flight from Germany) and went straight to our hotel (the Four Seasons... absolute perfection). When we woke up, the first thing we heard was the calling to prayer... for the first time in my life I felt I was in a foreign place. It was fantastic.

And I also have to say that NOWHERE (and I've travelled quite a bit) have we met nicer people than the Turks. Everyone we met (and we met a lot of people) tried to make our stay as pleasant and easy as possible. Always pointing us in the right directions, helping us with the language, giving little gifts...

Istanbul is a wonderful place.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 01:56 PM
sandi

Savannah -

The Visa for Americans is $100 - it seems a lot, but America charges Turkish citizens the same for Visas into the US - tit-for-tat! Otherwise, sites and food are inexpensive and hotels can be found at budget prices.

Weather in March is changeable. Istanbul is at the same latitude as NYC which means the weather is still "iffy/changeable."

The further south you travel (along the Aegean and to the Mediteranean) the warmer the weather should be, but still no guarantees. Friends were in the Cappadocia area in March and they froze. If you're looking for warm or hot, I'd wait till end-April earliest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -