Who is Elvira?

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 10:04 AM
Newcomer

Who is Elvira?

I am a new person on this board but I already noticed that many people here are obsessed with Elvira. Who is she? What is so special about here? Maybe I will become one of her fans too. I like her Paris trip report, at least the begining, then it became too long, too boring. And I love Paris. Why so many people loved her report but blamed Bob for his report being too long. Elvira's report is longer and IMHO Bob has a better sense of humor.
PS I am using not my real address (one part of it) so please do not try to send me any hate mail.
This is just my observation how unfair some persons on this forum are.

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 10:12 AM
X

Dear New,

As far as i know, Elvira is someone who travels, gives advice, tries to be upbeat and is not rude. She is welcome to post. Bob is also welcome, but he made a procedural error in posting a long trip report under a dozen threads. He is forgiven.

Please be mindful that lots of people read threads like this, so if you elect to critique someone's post as too long and too boring and if you compare one trip report to another, some folks might think it not nice.

Welcome aboard!

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 10:15 AM
elaine

Hi
Both Bob and Elvira have been participating in this forum for quite a while. Elvira for one is generally thought of as very knowledgeable and very witty. (I happened to enjoy her report so much I printed it out.)
I'm not sure what the point of your posting is. You make a comment about other persons being unfair, and yet you take the trouble to post a message just so you could include your own criticisms about elvira's report being too long.
People have opinions, people express them, sometimes not very nicely. The best way I think to deal with a posting that I don't enjoy, or feel is too long, is to skip it.

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 10:25 AM
Old

OIC elaine, you like the way you ignored this thread and refrained from criticizing Newcomer about THIS post? Oh, yeah, that's how it's done around her Newcomer, do as they SAY, not as they DO, got it? Hypocrisy rules.

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 10:27 AM
stephanie

Hi guys:

As my mother says, "to each his own" but personally I enjoy Elvira's postings. I get to vacation vicariously for a few minutes and her stories are always fun. I'd encourage others to post their experiences also. We can all learn a lot from others adventures (or misadventures!).

ciao,
Stephanie

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 10:30 AM
emma

Well, Newcomer, Elviria is a woman (we think) who contributes long, ever so witty, posts about everything, and tries to entertain us with her zany attempt at journalism. I guess she has been everywhere and done everything and will tell you all about it, ad-nauseum. The thing is, we are supposed to EXCHANGE advice and comments, not use this forum for your very own personallized space to bore everyone to death. But stay with us, there's more!

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 10:38 AM
Al Godon

Elvira is in reality a legendary, morphological denizen of the deep who emerges onto land in human form to visit Paris. After finishing her terrestial trek, she then returns to the depths like in the Secret of Roan Innish, only this one is the French equivalent.
Having an impeccable command of many languages, patrician tastes, epicurean culinary skills, superb knowledge in art history, and the possessor of great wit, charm, creative literary skills, and intelligence she then conveys to us, mere mortals, her secrets of the innermost variety of how to enjoy Paris and live life to the fullest. Those who partake of her advice when visiting Paris can strive to emulate life in Nirvanah. Those who brusquely reject her sagacious counsel are doomed to purgatory in an inferior Italian restaurant on Boulevard Raspail -- one that mystifies by its existence. (Like who eats mediocre Italian food in Paris!!)
At times, Elvira transforms into another human form to lead a band of loonies about the French countryside. Her guidance skills are so great that members of her flock pass for normal, although they at times defy control.
Perspicacious readers of this forum who visit Paris know well to seek her guidance. Those of us who do, know something that the others don't.
So to the newbies, if you want to visit Paris, and arrive there informed, read her wisdom. And, if you strike the appropriate pose of obesience and supplication, you might catch a few more tidbits of knowledge before all is said and done.
And even if you only get half of what she has to tell you, you will be better off for it.

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 10:42 AM
Meg

Elvira is the high priestess of both the Loons and the travel board. You always learn something and laughing about something when reading her posts.

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 07:55 AM
sam

For my money, if you have an exact question, Elvira can give you an upbeat great answer. Also, the poster "Christine" can give you exact street details which is great for people who have traveled to Paris but nee exact details. Both are true "tresures" to the is board.

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 03:19 PM
sam

That is "Christina"

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 03:29 PM
SharonM

Elvira,
(You must be lovin' this! lol)
And here I thought you were Queen of the Night...or is that, Reine de la nuit? oooh la la! (or is that Boooo la la!?)

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 01:28 PM
Christina

Thank you Sam for your nice words; you didn't have to worry about getting my name wrong, I'm used to it as there are so many variants (my father was a Spanish teacher and really named me after a "Cristina" in a book he was reading as he liked the name). I do not give tours, though, as someone else seems to be doing. Anyway, Elvira is a hostess of horror movies on some TV channel in Los Angeles, as I recall, I used to live there. In fact, what a coincidence, the Comedy Central channel on cable TV is showing the movie "Elvira, Mistress of the Dark" this Saturday at 8 pm. Check it out. If you go to Comedy Central web site (which I forget the URL) they have this little quiz next to their promo for this movie which should tell you more about who Elvira is:
<<Which of the following is true:
1. Elvira was the first person in the history of U.S. television to be broadcast in 3-D.
2. There is an Elvira pinball machine.
3. She has been hired as a national "spooks-person."
4. This film won two awards at a Parisian film festival.
Answer: all of the above>>

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 05:43 PM
Bob Brown

The flights of fancy concerning Elvira are full of humourous whimsy. To answer the question is a most prosaic tone, Elvira's real name is Myrna and she is a real person who just happens to visit Paris often and who writes with a genuine flair, and seems to greet the events of life with a gusto, savoir faire and joie de vivre that most us can only strive to emulate.. In terms of dispensing factual information about Paris, she is without peer on this board because of her frequent visits.
Al was correct when he said, in effect, that when Elvira writes about Paris, most of us do well to read it. I have never met her myself, and probably to do so would shatter my illusions. Besides, I already have my date for the opera.

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 06:19 PM
traveler

Bob

It's Marna, not Myrna.

Old Oct 27th, 2000, 07:40 AM
xxxx

Elvira is one of a handful of people who runs the place (and that isn't a good thing.) Some of the others are Bob the Navigator and Nigel. Paige really wants to join this club but she doesn't know what she's talking about. Brian from Atlanta has good advice and so does Al Hussey. The rest. Forget about 'em.

Old Oct 27th, 2000, 08:05 AM
Art

xxx, thanks for the compliment, but I'm a piker compared to so many others on this forum. I love reading about the experiences of so many and am envious of the writing skills of so many of you. Also my name is Art not Al.

Old Oct 27th, 2000, 08:07 AM
Ess

What a clique! Just like high school.

Old Oct 27th, 2000, 09:42 AM
Al Godon

I am sure that the revelation that the Fowlers don't know what they are talking about will come as a complete surprise to many people. If the truth were known, I have gotten more good advice by reading Wes Fowler, S. Fowler, and "Alruth" than I have from any other contributors -- including Marna or Elvira! So those who purport to speak for other people perhaps should take a humility pill and come to the realization that their views are neither omnipotent nor consensus.

Old Oct 27th, 2000, 09:51 AM
takesexception

So I guess the rest of us can just stop posting and leave it to the few.

Old Oct 27th, 2000, 09:57 AM
Brian in Atlanta

I'm a piker too though I don't really know what that is.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information