Who is along for the ride???Still needing help on this INTERESTING trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So those that have been with me from the start you will already know some of this but for those that don't here we go:

In June I am travelling to Europe with my two children (2 & 4) for 4/5weeks with my mother and then my husband is joining and we are travelling for another 4/5weeks. Not ideal but dramas came upon us and this is how we have made it work.

So . . the help I need - - - - -

10th June to 17th June - - - - -2 bed apartment in London - - - -
We know the location but are still trying to figure out who to stay with- - - - we are thinking - -

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/ren...-zone-1/316236

or

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/ren...-zone-1/301858

Same building . .my concern is the no reviews etc but price seems reasonable and I figure the location must be good if across the road from Harrods

From here we fly to Nice (There is a reason for not training to Paris) one week

We aren't sure if we should stay in Nice or move on to somewhere else. If we are in Nice ...and I am thinking we will be . . .we have found this apartment or hotel . . we are more likely to go apartment

http://www.hotel-westend.com/uk/index.php

or

https://www.rivierapebbles.com/scrip...roperty_id=222

From Nice we fly to Venice.

Stay for a week or 5 days and then 5 days in Lake como - not too sure yet ..

Then we fly to Paris and stay here for 10days where hubby meets up and mum flies home.

So with hubby we have a few days in Paris and then we train to Bordeaux pick up a car and drive to Sarlat then down to Carcassonne then drive to the train station that will take us directly to Barcelona and drop our car off and train to barcelona.

From barcelona we ferry across the seas to Genoa

W pick up another car and drive somewhere in the countryside of Italy and up to Lake Como . . yes again for the kids and I but hubby wants to see it too! Then to Milan where we fly to Prague.

From Prague we train to Berlin from Berlin we train to Frankfurt and from Frankfurt we fly home.

So...in regards to help . . .
1) Advice on apartments in London are needed
2)Advice on NIce - should we stay in the apartment or----should we move on and stay out of nice??? Mixed reviews on this..
3) Advice on Paris apartments needed - - -to be in a good location what should we expect to spend?
3)Advice on where to go for the week stay in the countryside of Italy. A good base to stay and still go on day adventures.

Ok I think that is everything! Thank you one again for all of you who are going to help and spend some of your time sorting this out with me.

I guess with two small children I just want to do the i's and cross the t's so to speak.
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 06:01 PM

If you continue this way you will be totally exhausted. Some of your trip is pretty exhausting in itself but if you take it as it comes, try to be a little spontanious, and put your feet up during nap times (or take one yourself) you will have a great experience and hopefully a good time too. Mom will also need to put her feet up. Try to get some small time for yourself to wander alone or just be alone in all the wonderous places you will visit. Best of luck!!
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

I thought a week at a time was a good pace . . we are going to go with an idea of what we would like to do when we get there but then see how we feel each day etc.

I love to be spontaneous but since the kids are with me where we are going to sleep each night is one thing I have to make sure is planned. Whatever else happens.

I know this trip is going to be amazing! Especially since I have all your help! Thanks once again
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 07:48 PM

I thought a week at a time was a good pace . .yeah....
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 07:50 PM

OK, but as I (and jamikins) said on the other thread, WHY BORDEAUX???
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 07:56 PM

Just saw your answer on the other thread. You don't want to take a train to Bordeaux and pick up a car - you want to take a train to Brive-la-Gaillarde and pick up a car and save yourself at least two hours of driving! Or, at the very minimum, take the TGV to Bordeaux, then hop on the TER train to Périgueux and pick up the car there. No point in driving 2-3 hours when you absolutely don't need to!
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

The lady who I have my stay with has said there has been issues with car pick ups from Brive so to get the TVG to Bordeaux and drive from there . . .didn't really want to have to swap trains etc could we not stop off somewhere along those 3 hrs to grab something to eat and browse around a cute little village or something?
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 08:50 PM

hi Crazy... i think your trip sounds great and you will have a really good time, but you will be tired. It is tiring with small children. I should know as I traveled with mine when they were small.

Ok - my advice to you

- do not book an apartment if there are no reviews. I get a tad suspicious. I like to know what other people say. I also avoid booking places that overlook main tourist attractions as I also wonder if they are for real (like your second apartment with the view towards Harrods) . Also, avoid booking apartments where you can see white sofas (i think your second apartment) as you have small children. You do not want to be hit with cleaning bill after tiny fingers have been over it.
have a look at this place
http://www.chevalresidences.com/our-...co-house/rates

- in Nice go for the apartment, Much easier with small children.

- if you are going to do the Italian Lakes with your husband I would not do them after Venice. Have you thought of Venice to Bologna. In Bologna you could rent an apartment. There are wonderful places to visit from here where you could do day trips with the children. For example it is just 37 minutes to Florence by train. Bologna also has a great airport which would make flying out easy.

- i do not understand the Bordeaux part either. Is this your itinerary for driving around the Dorgdone area and how long do you have to do this????

- as for Paris apartments. Have you looked at some of the agencies like www.vacationinparis.com. or www.parisbestlodge.com.
have a look at this apartment.

I actually think you are really all over the place and you are doing the same things twice. once with your mother and once with your husband.
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 08:53 PM

sorry ....did not add the link to the paris apartment:
http://www.vrbo.com/123825
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 09:18 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>1) Advice on apartments in London are needed<<

What sort of advice could you possibly use? You have received TONS of suggestions/reviews/links on your various threads.

You have seemingly indicated you decided on one or another only to post a day or two later asking about 5 or 6 new options.

It almost seems you have become addicted to posting. For whatever reason haven't pulled the trigger on any of them and now it it is almost April and your options are rapidly disappearing.

Tough love here . . . Time to get off the pot and BOOK something.
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 09:22 PM
Original Poster

Hi Millie . . . I know the trip is a bit all over the place but I am making the best of the situation. Mum and I don't want to drive and we also only want to either fly or take direct/express trains to places . .we don't want it to stop at stations on the way and have to worry about our luggage etc. I am a bit worried about the harrods apartment and I'll check out your links. I am happy with the nice one and yes I think I will book that! We have done Bologna so we are happy to miss that. My mum hasn't seen venice so I thought that was an easy flight to get to etc. The lakes we can get to on a train as a day trip which I am pretty sure we will do. The other idea is finding an english speaking private driver. But yes it is a bit all over the place but it's just the way it goes.

Thanks for joining me and helping me with the planning/accommodations
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 05:17 AM

You'd better check this out:

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews186362.html
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 05:48 AM

http://www.rentals.chslondon.com/ loved them!! I agree - book and move on. You will feel so much better
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 07:19 AM

I am spending the weekend with my 2 and 4 year old grandsons, so I am in awe, somewhat, of this plan to spend weeks traveling by train, car, and plane, every few days with children this age. But I agree with everyone who says to stop asking questions here and book already, the trip is getting closer and it seems you are losing out on apartments by seeking so much advice. Trust your judgment, read the reviews and book.
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 03:25 PM

HI Crazy... it is really hard to organise a trip like this... but what the others have said is true. You really need to get booking. It is only 3 months away and a lot of the better properties get snapped up really quickly.
So I would go back and read all he advice you have been give, plus all the links to apartments/hotels and book something.
And remember - book something that is cancelable.
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 04:27 PM

I really don't understand what the issue is with picking a car up in Brive as opposed to Bordeaux. Did this woman give any specifics? It seems ridiculous.
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 06:13 AM

A few thoughts:

Rather than revisiting Lake Como, why not stay with the kids at a different lake (Garda perhaps)? Then Como with husband joining the party?

For your week in the Italian countryside, you'll have a car, I think, so are not restricted to places on train lines? I would suggest somewhere in Tuscany or Umbria - lots of potential daytrips. But it's hard to suggest where would appeal most to you without knowing you or what you like to do. A small town where there are children's playgrounds etc might make more sense than somewhere remote. If you like lake scenery then you could try one of the central Italian lakes - somewhere like Trasimeno perhaps which is within daytrip reach of places like Assisi and Perugia?
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 06:41 AM

I gave you about 10 links for London apartments. NICE ones, with great reviews, in your price range, in nice areas, that had availability for your dates. Many others have done the same. Not sure exactly what the problem is. You are nit picking yourself out of a LOT of good properties and will only be left with either crappy or pricey accommodations if you don't get a move on. This is getting ridiculous.
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 06:42 AM

And, if you keep this up, even the crappy and pricey accommodations will all be booked!
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 06:50 AM

>>>>>It almost seems you have become addicted to posting <<<<

I have to agree with janisj. You have been at this since January:

http://www.fodors.com/community/prof...of4/topics.cfm

Perhaps revisit all of those threads and look at the great advice already given, as opposed to starting new threads with the same questions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -