Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Who has used the Bergen Card in Bergen, Norway?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2024, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to hear first-hand experiences with the Bergen Card from real people. I have most of the Bergen Card info and some of the practicalities, but with just a few exceptions, the only first-hand experiences I'm seeing on the internet are vlogs by people who got free cards to promote it.

Thank you!
AZ

Yes, I posted a similar question a few weeks ago and got crickets. I'm not giving up yet.
Old Jan 27th, 2024, 05:09 AM

I think it depends on how long you are in Bergen whether one is worth it or not. We had the 24 hour one, and used it for the Fløibanen and the Bryggen museum and a discount at a restaurant I believe. Much of what we had hoped to see while there was closed (early March) which is why we only got the 24 hour card, though we were there for a couple of days. I am not sure it was actually worth it. We walked most places, including from the hotel on the Bryggen down to the Hurtigruten terminal, so never used it for public transport.
If you are there longer and the places covered by it are open and what you want to see then it is possibly worthwhile.
We also had the Oslo cards and used those on buses and in museums and to get a discount on meals. Because more was open that was better value for our two days in Oslo.
Old Jan 27th, 2024, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Bless you, hetismij2, for sharing.

Here's what I've figured out:
1) The seasons impact the value for sure. Example: You got a better deal on the Fløibanen in March than we'd get in June.
2) If a digital download of the Bergen Card works (another reason why I want to hear first-hand experiences to see how that went), then our light rail trip from the airport into town would be free. But if the digital download DOESN'T work, our options of getting the card at the airport seem to be vague. And I don't think we'll be needing much transportation otherwise, as you suggested. We have reservations in two places (I have to pull the trigger soon to choose)--one, a hotel, which would require light rail to bus to get to and one, a VRBO,I about five minutes walk from the ByParken stop and the rail station. If we do NiN and stay at the hotel, then the transport part might come into place. If we don't, then that's a wash.

Thanks again,
AZ