Reload this Page >

Who has been to this tiny country?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2001, 07:26 PM
Katie

I am thinking of going to Luxembourg this summer and making a train trip to Brussels then on to London where I will catch a flight home. Any suggestions as to what I should see or do in either Luxembourg or Brussels? Or how i can get around, hotel accomodations, etc. I would appreciate hearing anything as there are only a few books on the place!

Old Feb 17th, 2001, 08:27 PM
Al

Katie, <BR> Have never been to Luxembourg. Suggest you try a subject search, top of the page, for Luxembourg. <BR> Good luck and have a great trip. <BR> <BR>Al from Iowa

Old Feb 17th, 2001, 09:37 PM
Patrick

I found the city of Luxembourg to be interesting and picturesque. We stayed at a hotel near the train station (traveling with Eurail Pass), but that was a mistake. Wished we had stayed right in the center. There is a wonderful relaxed central square with good restaurants. The green spaces are beautiful and some of the ruins and castle are unique. I would like to return and drive the "castle route" throught this tiny country. I can't say it should be a major destination, but it was certainly interesting and worth a couple of days stop.

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 07:03 AM
Don

I was in Luxembourg several years ago. It is a good place to visit if you like castles. The castle in the city is one of the better ones that I have been in.

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 07:25 AM
Harry

Visited Luxembourg for a couple of days in 1979 due to the Icelandic Air flights there at the time. Fine town, a little cool for June for Americans. The country was rather bucolic once out of Luxembourg City. Grand Duke's palace is in the city, guarded by one guard at the time of my visit (so delightfully different from the mass guarding of American presidents and pols). A few miles outside town is a World War Two military cemetary with a few thousand souls laid to rest including General George Patton.

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 07:29 AM
Diane

Our family spent the night a few years ago in Echternach-- right on the German border. It was a lovely town--check it out.

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 12:56 PM
Jerry

We loved Luxembourg and the people. Luxembourg City is worth several days of sightseeing. Drive through the countryside, too. The castle at Vianden is one of Europe's most delightful! The Country is beautiful, the pace is just right, and the people are great!

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 01:43 PM
Katie

Thanks to everyone that has written so far! I have heard that Luxembourg is some place that is often forgotten by travelers .... so I am glad that I have had some good responses! Thank you Thank you Thank you!

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 07:34 PM
judy

Katie, I'm glad you raised this question. I'm leaving in a month with a friend to visit her daughter in Maastricht in The Netherlands. It doesn't appear to be too far to Luxembourg, and we were discussing today whether or not to go there. (We're spending some time in Brugge and Ghent, too.) My friend visited with a man who moved to the states from Germany, and he said Luxembourg City shouldn't be missed. That seems a bit different from what I've heard others say, but we'll probably travel there for a day trip. I'll let you know what I think when I return...(if others want to let us know what they think, now's the time!)

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 08:06 PM
ching

I think that the man who tops this thread is weird. Thank you for letting me voice my opinion. Have a good day now.

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 08:06 PM
Lux

Luxembourg is a delightful little country full of beautiful castles. I hope that you choose to go there. The people are very friendly, and it is a very safe place to visit.

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 08:30 PM
Gretel

The behavior in this forum is simply unacceptable. Victor P? nobody cares about the man with the "hailer" (whatever that is) in giverny. "top" you are going to a bit too far with this topping business. Why are there all of these email address with x's in them? X is the sign of the devil! Are you all devil worshippers? I will just have to pray for you before I go to bed tonight.

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 08:38 PM
Irene

Luxembourg is a city of myriad faces - not only in the figurative sense. The museums teem with the portraits of the renowned personalities determining the history of the millenary fortress, be it the fortress builder Vauban or the Spanish Governor Peter Ernst von Mansfeld. Faces also moulded the cultural scene, if you merely think of the expressive clown or children's faces of Joseph Kutter, the most wellknown painter of the Grand Duchy. <BR> <BR> Whoever strolls across the Old Town, the Gardens or the modern Kirchberg-Plateau, will invariably encounter further faces on bust, sculptures or memorial stones: they remind you of Goethe, the writer, Robert Schuman, the "father of Europe", and the merry musicians of the kermesse pageant "Hämmelsmarsch". <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 10:03 AM
nancy

Topping for Katie, and other interested folks.

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 05:46 PM
Katie

Thanks to everyone who has added to this post. Judy - I am very interested in hearing what you have to say about Luxembourg. I hope to hear from you when you get back. Keep the opinions and suggestions coming!