Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Who else is counting down the days until Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2004, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am so excited about returning to Italy in a few weeks that I feel like a 5 year old on Christmas....anyone else feeling the same way?
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 06:16 PM

Me too! I'm leaving for Venice two weeks from today and I'm so excited!!! It's hard for me to concentrate on my everyday life and job.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 06:42 PM

I won't be going to Italy until next April--that is April 2005. I am doing an elderhostel cruise to Sicily and the Aeolian Islands. I thought I'd do something different.

I have some vacation plans before that to count down to first. Less than 2 months before my elderhostel to Moscow and St. Petersburg focussed on art, theater and literature. I have the program and can't wait!

I don't plan on counting down to my trip to Italy until, perhaps, after next Christmas. Ha!

Have fun all of you--whether you go to Italy or not!
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 07:21 PM
awbaker

Yes!! And it is my first trip to Italy. But I have 4 months to wait. I am so jealous that you leave in a few weeks, but I know you will be jealous of me when you return. I just finished watching A Little Romance, and now I must ride in a gondola under the bridge of sighs at sunset with my husband!

Old Apr 8th, 2004, 11:49 PM

I am always counting down the days until Italy... but then, I only live at 200 km...
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 12:56 AM
Melissajoy

I'm so excited about our family's first trip to Italy in June that I've already started a file for our second trip as well! I'm still polishing up the details. I'm tired of being picked on, so somebody tell me this is the PERFECT schedule, and tell me your perfect schedule as well! Here it is:
4 nights - Rome
2 nights - Sorrento
3 nights - Florence
1 night - Siena (yes, I'm keeping it)
3 nights - Venice
Included in our visit we will see Pomepii, Vesuvius, Amalfi Coast, Positano, Ravello, the Calcio Storico Fiorentino celebration in florence on June 24 (parade, ball game, fireworks), and apparently we'll see the beautiful people wandering around florence for the Pitti Uomo, the biggest fashion show of the year in Florence. Ciao!

Old Apr 9th, 2004, 01:53 AM

Count me in!

My husband and I will be going to Italy (Rome, Sorrento area and one night in Siena on our way to France - yes, we are driving) and France (Riviera and then Paris) in July.

This will be our first time to Italy without the family along. The last few times we have gone we had our son, our mothers, and my sister join us on the trip. This time, we will be celebrating the start of 35 years of marriage so we thought it would be very nice to have it just be the two of us.

Enjoy your trips!
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 02:18 AM

We are leaving for our first trip to Italy on May 12! I am counting down the days with Italian lessons. I have driven all my friends crazy practicing my italian on them. Thanks to much help from this board I have put together a 30 day trip that I think will be great:

Venice - 4 days
Florence 2 days
Cortona - 7 days
Montepulciano -5 days
Sorrento - 5 days
Lipari (Aeolian Islands) - 5 days
Rome - 2 days

Many thanks to all the posters on this board who have shared their experiences and knowledge with me. Your help was immeasurable.

Old Apr 9th, 2004, 03:56 AM

We leave for Italy in about 6 weeks. My wife and I are taking our 14 yr. old granddaughter there. We are spending 5 nights in Tuscany and 3 nights in Rome. We will have a car in Tuscany. Not in Rome! It's our first trip to Italy. I have feelings of excitment and wondering. I think that's normal for a new place.
Carl
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 04:24 AM

Doing strictly Tuscany on This trip

12th Wed Fly to Milan from Dulles
13th Thu Fly to Pisa ? travel to Lucca
14th Fri Lucca
15th Sat Drive to Montepulciano and spend 7 nights in an apartment
16th Sun Day trip
17th Mon Day trip
18th Tue Day trip
19th Wed Day trip
20th Thu Day trip
21st Fri Day trip
22nd Sat Drive to Siena
23rd Sun Day trip from Siena to Colle di Val d?Elsa and Volterra
24th Mon A.M. bus to Florence
25th Tue Florence
26th Wed Florence
27th Thu Fly home :-<

Our day trips from Montepulciano will include (but not limited to): Lucignano, Arezzo and Cortona in one day; Montefollonico, Trequanda, Asciano, San Giovanni d'Asso, Montisi, Castelmuzio; Pienza, Bagno Vignoni, Rocca d'Orcia, Castelnuovo dell'Abate, Sant'Antimo Abbey, Montalcino, San Quirico d'Orcia, Chiusi, Cetona, San Casciano dei Bagni, Sarteano.

We are probably squeezing too much in, but we will see once we are there!

Melissajoy, your trip looks great!!! Enjoy!

Ciao,
Monica
http://www.luvtotravel.homestead.com/home.html

Old Apr 9th, 2004, 05:04 AM

We just got back (a month ago today to be exact!) and I'm already counting down the days til I return. I loved Italy as I'm sure you will too! You'll have to post all about your trip when you get back!
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 05:18 AM

I think I am going to cry now !
This is the first time in 20 years that I cannot say yes to this question.
I am so jealous of you all--some really great trips are about to be enjoyed. I especially like your itinerary Granbury--I have always wanted to see the Aeolians.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 06:12 AM

6 months for us - we're going in early October. Since my bayfriend has serious sleep problems and can't be "hopping" from accommodation to accommodation every day or two, we are looking at 3-5 days Rome, 5-7 days Florence, and a week on the Amalfi coast. We have discussed it, and have decided that this time we will give Venice a pass, in order to have a more comfortable (for him) trip. I am online every day, poring over this and ohter travel bulletin boards, packing tips, etc. Excited doesn't begin to describe it!
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 06:14 AM

ME ME ME!

When my husband died 5 years ago I decided I was going to use a big chunk of the life insurance (there wasn't a lot) to take my kids to Europe when they were older.

They are older now (14 & 16) and we are going to Italy - We leave in just a month

4 Nights Sorrento
7 Nights Rome
4 Nights Florence
3 Nights Venice.

I am so excited.

Joelle
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 06:15 AM

My husband, 15yr old and myself will be taking my parents to London, Paris and a tour thru Italy this December. it will be their 50th wedding anniversary and their first trip to Europe. We'll be in Venice for Christmas and Rome on New Years. We're so excited and are literally counting the days!
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 09:45 AM

I leave a month from today for over two weeks in Italy.

My friend and I are renting an apartment in Amalfi and plan on driving south of there for day trips and just relaxing and eating on our roof top patio (looks so inviting in the catalog pictures).

I also want to do some hiking in the hills behind Amalfi and try out some of the trails, I have that Sunflower book that describes all the walking trails.

Old Apr 9th, 2004, 09:49 AM

So excited. My wife and I leave in 3 and a half weeks. The time is now starting to drag. I swear this trip was more planning than our wedding. Probably just for me, I don't think my wife would agree.

We are doing --
3 nights in Rome
5 nights in Tuscany
2 nights in just Florence
2 nights Portofino
1 night Milan
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 10:37 AM

3 more weeks, just 3 more weeks! Inside I can hardly contain myself and I have this very warm knowing grin all the time! I know I must look quite silly - but who cares I'll be in Italy in 3 weeks!
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 12:27 PM

Reading this thread isn't helping to calm me down at all. I am totally excited! 7.5 weeks to go for us.
Bellagio, Florence, Todi, venice and Milan. Can't wait.
Message boards are the best therapy.
j
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 01:43 PM

Four weeks until we go...have been before but can't get enough of Italy! This time we are visiting Milan and the Lakes, as we haven't been to this area of the country. Can't wait! Justine

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -