Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

While I'm on vacation, can someone else deposit checks into my account? Can I deposit checks in Paris/Brussels (I use Citibank)?

Search

While I'm on vacation, can someone else deposit checks into my account? Can I deposit checks in Paris/Brussels (I use Citibank)?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2003, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be traveling for nearly a month this December/January, and am wondering how I will a) get rent from my roommates into my account and b) send my rentcheck from there. Does anyone know if one can deposit checks in Europe? I use Citibank. Alternatively, if anyone knows Citibank, will they allow one of my roommates to make a deposit in my account (WITHOUT having my bankcard)?
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 09:28 AM

How about if you provide your renters with a deposit slip and ask them to
mail the check directly to your bank?

Old Nov 25th, 2003, 09:32 AM

Hi mp,

Leave your roommates deposit slips with your bank account on them. They can take the slips with the checks, and go to a teller to deposit their checks to your account. On the back of their checks, they can just write "Deposit Only" and the account number.

I'm not sure about you deposit checks in Europe. Why don't you leave a check with your roommates, already filled out, for them to mail on the appropriate date?

Karen
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 09:40 AM

The suggestions above are right on, if it absolutely has to be done that way, but why not consider this:

You leave your share of the rent with the roommate(s) and let them pay the rent.
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 09:41 AM

My bank has general blank deposit slips in the lobby, but I also think you should give them some blanks. Even though I've never had anyone else deposit my checks, there's no reason someone couldn't as they don't ask for ID or anything, as long as the checks are signed and the slip filled out. My bank doesn't ask for any card to deposit funds and I don't even have anything called a bankcard, though.

Banks aren't usually worried about someone depositing money to your account fraudulently, only withdrawing it.
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 09:51 AM
ira

>Does anyone know if one can deposit checks in Europe? I use Citibank. <

Highly unlikely, but have you asked Citibank?
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 09:54 AM

My mother and I did this all the time when I was in college. She would write checks and deposit them in my account. We shared the same bank, though, although not the same account. Actually, I think because the bank teller would know her and knew she was not me, the teller would never give my mother the receipt that showed the resulting balance. Instead the teller would mail the receipt to "my" address of record, which of course during college was my mother's house. (LOL)

More seriously, when I spent a summer as a bank teller, the rules would not allow someone, for example, a wife to deposit a check made out to someone else, for example a husband if it was a joint account, even if it was between the same wife and the same husband. I think we caught this though only because it would be obvious if "Mary Jones", a woman, tried to make a deposit of a check made out to "John Jones", a man. The rule however, if logic follows would apply to any joint account, because how would the bank know if the one account holder would want the other to have access to the money deposited if someone else made the deposit? Now that you have a phd in retail banking practices, if your roommates are the same gender as you and if your account is your own and not a joint account the first proposals here should work. Can you plan ahead enough and do a test run the month before to see if there is any problem?
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 10:28 AM

I am surprised any of you ever sees a bank teller. I handle my boss' money all the time; I just endorse his checks "for deposit only" with his account number, sign his name and mail with a deposit slip. If you trust your roommates to actually put the money into your account, you can just leave a signed and completed check with them for mailing to the landlord. Or, again, if you trust them to make the deposit and your trust your landlord, you could send it early and ask that they hold it for the due date.
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

I think I am going to just send my landlord the check early, and give my roommates deposit slips to put in my account. It's so important to me because I will be on vacation, and needing as much of my own money in my account as possible! (I can't wait until I get back to have the rent, in other words.) Thanks for the suggestions.