Reload this Page >

Which tube to I take?

Search

Which tube to I take?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 10:32 AM
Judie

Which tube to I take?

When I arrive in Heathrow and take the tube to the London County Hall do I take Piccadilly to Hammersmith then the District Line to Westminster or Waterloo? Also do I then take a cab or can I walk? Is taking a cab from Heathrow just easier? Thanks

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 10:42 AM
jBirch

What is the address of the "London County Hall"....... then look it up on MapQuest.....

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 10:46 AM
Gregory

Hi,<BR><BR>It is Piccadilly to Hammersmith then District to Westminster then a 5 minute walk across the Thames by Big Ben and the houses of Parliament.<BR>Another way is Piccadilly to Green PArk then Waterloo to Waterloo station and then walk alothough the immediate area around Waterloo is not as appealing as walking over the Thames.<BR>A cab is likely to be around &pound;40.<BR>It depends on how much you want to pay/how much luggage you have and how many people are travelling with you.<BR><BR>Hope this helps.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 11:52 AM
joan

you can take the Heathrow express to paddington and then take a taxi a lot easier and it will be less than the full taxi fare of 40GBP.<BR><BR>doing the tube especially if you have an early morning arrival at rush hour will be frantic especially with baggage!

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 12:00 PM
David

I like the site www.thetube.com. Look for their "journey planner" button in the header bar.<BR><BR>However, this is the tube only. If you want to use the Heathrow express you'll have to start your tube journey at Paddington Station where the express lets you out.<BR><BR>www.heathrowexpress.com gives times, costs, etc. for the Heathrow express.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Michele

Hi Judie,<BR><BR>When we stayed at the County Hall, we did exactly what Joan suggested and it worked out fine. You may be able to find 2-for-1 coupons for the Heathrow express in Time Out magazine (available at airport newstands). The savings from the coupon will more than pay for the magazine.<BR><BR>When you return to the airport, you might try negotiating a set fare with one of the taxi drivers. It'll cost slightly more than the taxi / Tube combination, but it'll be easier with luggage - especially if you're taking home more than you came with! Enjoy your trip!

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 12:11 PM
Elsa

I'm w/ Joan re the Heathrow Express. It's so much better than the tube. I think the train takes ABOUT 15mins. and the tube a good 45mins. or so - not to mention ALL those annoying stops when you've just arrived and are exhausted. Take the tube/taxi from Paddington to your hotel. I would suggest a taxi even though it will be more expensive, but it is worth the extra $ not to have to schlep your luggage up & down those LOOOONG escalators in the tube stations. Plus you owe it to yourself! You only go around once in life. If you have to - get a sandwich for dinner one night instead of eating in a restaurant. Once you get settled into your hotel room and you want to go out & about you'll find the tube great for getting from here to there - w/o luggage ;-).

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 02:25 PM
Philip

Taking the tube is the cheapest way to go. I've gone a couple of times from Heathrow to County Hall by tube.<BR><BR>Take Picadilly Line to Green Park then change to the Jubilee line to Waterloo Station. Once you reach the Waterloo Station follow the signs that say South Bank or London Eye. You will exit out of the Shell Centre. It is less than a five minute walk from Shell Centre to County Hall.

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 06:16 PM
JOSIE S

I would like to know where is big ben located on the map. where is it near. I also want to know which train i should take from amsterdam to london<BR>