Which travel ins for a long term stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Firstly, I have never bought trip insurance. That said, I need to buy it this time. I am going to France for 2 months for a study abroad program. This is not a pkg deal. I have arranged everything separately - univ tuition, airfare, apt rental, apt deposit, and language school tuition separate from my univ tution. The language school says I must provide proof of a medical policy. Also, I need repatriation coverage. Plus I need trip cancellation insurance to cover the expenses I've detailed above. Do I buy it all from one source or separate policies from separate companies?

Can someone who has purchased for a long-term stay advise me? Have you had to use it and had good results? I am purchasing my airfare by Monday so I need to make a decision on what coverage to buy.

Thanks as always. There are always Fodorites who know the answers!
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 07:49 PM

..i just want to comment on the medical and repatriation. Do you have health insurance (or do your parents)?.If so,read the small print.. many plans cover medical expenses out of country (assuming emergency and not "elective" surgery) as well as repatriation...BUT get out the magnifying glass..sometimes will only cover you if out of the country for less than 6 weeks, 3 months ect...otherwise a "bundle" travel policy is usually better than covering the bits..
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 08:07 PM

I would line up what insurance you should get before you buy your airfare. The trip cancellation insurance I bought required that I buy the insurance within 72 hours of my airfare purchase in order to be covered. (I got a policy in Canada, so I doubt it's applicable to your situation.)
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Willtravel - I had read that about buying within a certain time frame. That's the very reason I'm trying to get some advice BEFORE I buy my ticket.
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 04:48 AM

I bookmarked this website and I think it might help Compares LOTs of travel insurance products

http://www.insuremytrip.com/
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Carol.