Hohenschwangau from Innsbruck?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll (Mom, Dad, & 3 kids) be arriving in Innsbruck from St. Anton via train on a Saturday morning in March, with a day to kill before catching a late night train to Rome. I'm considering renting a car for the day and driving up to see Neuschwanstein. Anyone think that's totally crazy?

Thanks for any suggestions,
- Rob
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 06:40 PM

The drive is not all that long from Innsbruck. My concern would be a snow storm. March is still winter and snow is possible.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 08:53 PM

It is only about a 1-1/2 hour drive. In fact, if you got a fairly early start and made your castle tour reservations in advance, you could easily see both Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles plus Linderhof or the Wieskirche or whatever else might interest you all.

A nice place to eat (at least a couple of years ago it was) between Hohenschwangau and Schwangau: Alpenhotel Meier
http://www.alpenhotel-allgaeu.de
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 04:55 AM
ira

Hi T,

Don't be surprised if you find it difficult and/or expensive to rent a car for a day.

Hertz's one-day price is higher than AutoEurope's 3-day price.

Old Jan 28th, 2007, 05:30 AM

It is not totally crazy, but there are some critical factors to consider, like weather and limited daylight. You'll be driving R/T on mountain roads and it is risky if you need to be somewhere at a certain time in the evening. I'll say, IF you plan on it, play it by ear, do not commit, including do not get advance tickets, etc... March lines aren't that long to warrant advance reservations at Neuschwanstein. Car rental for a day is not going to be cheap; fortunately, you can reserve without charges.

I have to say I would explore Innsbruck and save some stamina for the long train ride.