Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which SIM card to get now that United Mobile is bye-bye?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize that one alternative is to buy SIM cards locally, but that can be time-consuming. So I'm wondering if there's a reasonably priced alternative to the deal we had been getting with United Mobile: 29 cents a minute outgoing and free incoming. I'm aware of the high-priced operations, but have no interest in going that route. If possible, I'd prefer one SIM card with a "standing" number that can be used in most countries. All suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old May 26th, 2009, 06:32 PM

Are you from the USA? Right now, today (and it changes each day), you can look on www.telestial.com the new ekit dual UK/US card...$29 (shipping is $9 extra) with $10 credit you get a sim card which has both a US and UK number.

Calls to the UK number will be free to receive while in Europe...calls to the US number will cost you 19¢/minute for reception in all of Western Europe...calls to the USA are 49¢/minute a bit more than UM

The E kit original card with a UK number is available on ebay for $20 with $10 credit (free shipping)...has a UK number with the standard free reception throughout all of Western, Central and a good part of Eastern Europe...you'll have to check the price for calls back to the USA and whether it's cheaper for you but it's a pretty good deal and osmewhat more stable than UM.

If you're starting out in the UK, and you primarily receive calls, you can get free Vodafone sim cards delivered to your hotel (£1 credit), sign up for their passport and international plans by sms to their office and get the free reception of calls throughout all of Western, Central and most of Eastern Europe (you get a +44 number) and calls to the USA from the UK will be 5p/minute...a lot depends on how you set up to receive calls whether you give others your European number

If you're going to Germany, logos999 has described several cheap German MVNO (virtual networks) which use E-Plus towers. You can have them delivered to your hotel in Germany but the applications, unfortunately, are only in German. If you can find some previous threads about sim cards and find logos999's tag, you can clock on the name and find some of the excellent suggestions for German sim cards...

But right now today, as noted, I would go with vodafone UK while in the UK and use ekit passport dual sim cards for the rest of my travels...little fuss to do them.
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:08 PM

Bookmarking
Old May 27th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

I generally travel on the continent (France, Germany, Greece, Eastern Europe) and Israel. The eKit cards seem interesting. I'm awaiting further information about the rates within various countries. I note that there is a 35 cent connection charge for all outgoing calls. Since most of my usage is incoming, that may not be a problem. I use my Blackberry for email, messaging, etc. so the high cost of texting using the eKit may not be a problem either. I'll pass on the information once received. Thank you for your suggestions.
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 01:28 PM

I have been real happy with the SmartRoam SIM from intouchsmartcards.com, it is the first SIM I have found that doesn't use a number that is real expensive to call, it just uses a regular Belgium Cellular phone which I can call for just 8¢ a minute with calling cards. That E kit SIM has an awful lot of upcharges + the last time I used one of those 4479 numbers I couldn't believe how expensive it was to call. I previously bought the Travel International SIM which I still use when I go to Russia where incoming calls are free (as they are across Europe) and outbound calls are just 39 cents.