Which route to take from Montalcino to Florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking through my map I could eather take A1 passing by Montepulciano or No.2 going through Siena. I would like your opinion on which way has the nicest views. Also since I am leaving early around 9:00 am from Montalcino do you think I could spend a little time in Cortona then continue to Florence and get there around 5:00 pm. Is it worth it?
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 04:07 AM

The route going past (not through) Siena is not that scenic IMO and, since you wish to visit Cortona, I think that's what you should do.
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 04:16 AM

I dare say the nicest views will be not be from a motorway. But have you looked at www.viamichelin.com ? They have options invluding shortest route, quickest route and "discovery route".
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 01:27 PM

If you decide to visit Cortona (glad we went if only to see the setting for Under the Tuscan Sun, not sure I need to go back), take S146 towards Montepulciano, then north on S327. Both are very picturesque, and the villages of Torrita di Siena and Montefollonico are lovely stops off the beaten path. Castiglion Fiorentino north of Cortona was also worth a quick stop.

If you go directly to Florence, then take S2 to Siena then pick up S222, the Chianti Road, north of Siena. Gorgeous views, small towns, very memorable.

Old Feb 21st, 2008, 03:25 PM

the chianti road is truly beautiful, if you have the time
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

toni_g_b

Can you tell me a little bit about Cortona.
I saw the movie Under the Tuscan Sun and loved it, what about the setting (what do you mean) and should I choose this over the chianti road.

Thank you all for your advice
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Or anyone please..
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:55 AM

By coming from Montalcino, I assume you've been exploring the beautiful Val d'Orcia area (I hope so!).

I think the Chianti road would be somewhat more of same. I suggest that you follow toni_g_b's ideas.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 12:26 PM

tribi,

What I meant by "setting" was that the Frances Mayes' novel is set in and around Cortona, and I was curious to see it and the area in person. And for that reason I'm glad I did. But having done three road trips to Italy, my husband and I have a list as long as your arm of places we'd love to visit again - or move to when we win the lottery - but Cortona isn't one of them. I wish I could put my finger on it but... For me the buildings weren't that special, even the view from the piazza not as stunning as others, and it seemed that everything was much more expensive than other small Tuscan towns.

It's hard for me to tell you to choose one over the other. I wouldn't have missed the experience of driving either of the routes. I don't know what kind of map you are using, but we used the Michelin Italia 1:300,000 book so I can tell you that the keys in the book were spot on. Yellow roads were very manageable and roads lined with green were always picturesque. What worked for us was using the internet before we left the States, and researching the towns along our proposed routes. And chose accordingly. (Our first trip we kept passing these intriguing villages with no idea of what they offered.)

Regardless of what you decide, you'll be in Italy! How bad can it be!

Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you toni_g_b I will keep researching.