Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which resort in The Hohe Tauern National Park?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

We've had the above destination recommended to us, and need some recommendations on which region to go to within it?

We enjoy Hiking and outdoor activities, would like to see some glaciers and lakes, and are up for anything cultural and arty.

Also if anybody knows where's the nearest airport, and how far the region is from it, that'd be great!

Thanks
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 10:31 AM

Hohe Tauern is IN Carinthia. There is an airport in Klagenfurt, but likely Salzburg will work best.

http://www.tourmycountry.com/austria/mapcarinthia.htm

~Liz
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 02:29 AM

Correction to the previous post: Hohe Tauern are a mountain range that is partially in the Austrian states Carinthia, Eastern Tyrol and Salzburg.

The airports in Klagenfurt and Salzburg are small and I doubt you'll get a reasonably priced flight there from overseas. I'd try Munich.

Zell am See (Salzburg) would make an excellent base if you like lakes, too. It's at the foot of the mountains, actually a few km away. If you want to be right *in* the mountains I'd suggest Heiligenblut (Carinthia), Matrei or Kals (East Tyrol), Bad Hofgastein (Salzburg).

For public transport from Munich airport check www.bahn.de

I.
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the corrections on the post

We're looking for a spot within the mountains, but with lots of things to do- have you any recommendations?
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 02:44 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,

I agree with "Ingo"... look into Munich airport. We've stayed in both Zell am See and Heiligenblut. Both are beautiful. Zell am See is much larger than Heiligenblut. Heiligenblut is a small village situated in amazing alpine scenery. Zell am See is a town (with a nice pedestrian zone) situated on a lake with a beautiful alpine backdrop. Zell am See is near the northern start of the amazing Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse and Heiligenblut is at the southern end of this road.

We have a few photo's of these at:

www.worldisround.com/articles/355540/index.html

www.worldisround.com/articles/338868/index.html

www.worldisround.com/articles/324599/index.html

www.grossglockner.at/en/

Paul
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 01:07 AM

Paul gave you excellent info on both Heiligenblut and Zell am See. Personally, I'd rather stay in Zell am See - Heiligenblut is a bit too small and relatively isolated for my taste. Not much in regads of culture/artsy etc. And you have to cross the main ridge of the Alps to get to the town from Munich, unlike for Zell am See. But that's just me.

Seriously, you cannot expect too much in regards to culture/artsy from towns right *in* the mountains (with few exceptions).