Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

which place was a real "let down" for you?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Bob

Mine, believe it or not was London!! I had been looking forward to my trip for so long and although I enjoyed it something was missing for me. We took trips out to York and Edinburgh and those were great but London.......<BR><BR>

Old May 17th, 2002, 12:32 PM
Dan

Cotswolds in England and Pisa in Italy.

Old May 17th, 2002, 12:34 PM
x

Stonehenge. And I went to England with someone else and had to see it again. It was raining and cold both times I wanted to stay in the car and read.

Old May 17th, 2002, 12:34 PM
Europa

Liverpool, ugh!<BR><BR>Paris, stinky!<BR><BR>New York City: Steel, glass, glass, steel, concrete, ooh, there's a pretty little church! Steel, glass, etc. BEEP! BEEP! Glass, steel.

Old May 17th, 2002, 12:37 PM
David

Amsterdam.

Old May 17th, 2002, 12:38 PM
MaryC

Europa, BEEP BEEP, you win!! : )

Old May 17th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Curly

Without a doubt, Amsterdam.

Old May 17th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Dee

What was disappointing about Amsterdam?<BR><BR>Just wondering, as I've never been, but it's on my list.<BR><BR>d.

Old May 17th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Anna

For me it was Paris, loved it as a college student but not a 30 something, and Heidlelberg was a disappointment. I thought it would be soooo beautiful and magical, it was not.except the castle.

Old May 17th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Curly

It just wasn't what I was expecting. I had this image of canals and cool houses (those tall, skinny buildings right next to each other) - very different from any city in the States. I saw filthy streets (i.e. people relieving themselves in public) and graffiti in much of the city. I was disappointed in the food, too. Think my best meal was the Indonesian meal I had. <BR><BR>Once I left Amsterdam, I found that I liked other cities in the Benelux much more - like the Hague, Bruges, and even Brussels.

Old May 17th, 2002, 01:23 PM
xxx

I was disappointed with my week visit to London, but loved Edinburgh.

Old May 17th, 2002, 01:33 PM
Lili

Please give Amsterdam another try. We stayed in a b & B on a canal and I thought the city was so quiet and peaceful compared to Paris. We could have stayed in our room and just watched the boats go by on the canal. E-mail me if you are interested in B&B info.

Old May 17th, 2002, 02:04 PM
David

There were several things that conspired to make my stay in Amsterdam not what I had imagined.<BR><BR>First was the accomodations. I stayed in the worst 2 star hotel I've ever used near the theater. I have been in much better 1 star hotels. I ducked into a few other 2 & 1 star hotels in the downtown area. Jeez, are they all run as flop houses for pot heads?<BR><BR>Second was the location. I didn't like the dirt, the public urination, the pot heads or the prostitution. My brother has been to Amsterdam and said I made a mistake in my accomodations. I should have stayed outside the city center a bit further. <BR><BR>I had a real eye-opening experience in the red light district. As I was walking along there was a group of men outside one of the booths pointing and laughing at a lady who was in it. She was heavy. As I walked by she got up to close here curtain so the crowd would go away. She had tears running down her face. <BR><BR>It really disgusted me to see this awful abuse. Here was a lady trying to make a living and those people were being unbelievably cruel. It turned my stomach. I know she was offering her wares. I know that she didn't have to do that. I know that through her career choice she was opening herself up to that kind of abuse. I don't care. My Mom taught me that if you can't say anything nice, you keep your mouth shut. You don't point and laugh at people until they cry. <BR><BR>(Good Lord, now I've done it. I've brought up the fat topic. I'm sure she was an overweight American living there to support her hashhish habit. And when she was off work she changed from her white uniform to all black clothes and used a 21" suitcase. )<BR><BR>Third was my disappointment in the Van Gogh museum. I'm a big Van Gogh fan and was really anticipating my visit. I happened to go on an afternoon that had the nicest weather while I was there. It was sunny with big, fluffy clouds drifting by. The museum had shutters that would adjust to control light levels. With the clouds floating by they would rattle endlessly as they adjusted to the varying sunshine. I found it incredibly unsettling to try to enjoy the peace and beauty of Van Gogh landscapes while shutters rattled incessantly overhead.<BR><BR>To top it all off, it rained most of the 4 days I was there. Of course, that is not the city's fault, but it didn't help my mood.<BR><BR>Before Amsterdam, I had 2 lovely days in Katwijk an See. A beautiful little town on the sea that was clean, nice, relaxing and interesting with a beautiful beach. <BR><BR>I have every intention of visiting Holland again. But I'll see the Van Gogh museum on a sunny or cloudy day. And I'll not go near the red light district.

Old May 17th, 2002, 02:07 PM
bad travel attitudes

None, never. A place can only be a "let down" if you have a preconceived & incorrect notion of what it is or "should" be like there. Go with your mind and eyes open. Places ARE what they ARE, not there for your pleasure, amusement, or approval.

Old May 17th, 2002, 02:07 PM
Statia

I can honestly say that I've never had one. At least not yet.

Old May 17th, 2002, 02:10 PM
Nancy

I agree with the central part of Amsterdam being awful, but the outskirts behind the Hilton are nice. In the redlight distict it is depressing to see all the prostitutes, some of them looked so sick and like they were dying of AIDS.<BR>

Old May 17th, 2002, 02:23 PM
Capo

Haven't been let down by anyplace in Europe yet. <BR><BR>I did have kind of a let down recently, I suppose. I used to love Vieux Nice, and still like it a lot, but arriving there recently after spending time in both Venice in Rome (entire cities that are like Vieux Nice) it was, I admit, a bit of a let down *compared* to those places (the fact that the weather was awful probably didn't help matters either.)

Old May 17th, 2002, 02:32 PM
Duke

The poster "bad travel attitudes" above hit it on the head. If you let a thread as stupid as this run you will have someone that did not like every city in the world. That is usually because they travel not very frequently and have some false expectation of what to expect. Hence, they are "disappointed". Or they could only afford the cheap seats in the town and missed all the good stuff because they could not afford it anyway. Folks...do your homework and go with an open mind. These towns are not Disneyland with teenagers cleaning up the streets every 15 minutes and painting the buildings every day with Goofy greeting you at the door. They are real places with real people working.....same as Toledo, Ohio and people actually live there too. My comment to Bob who wrote this is to travel more and read more....or go to Disneyworld next trip.

Old May 17th, 2002, 02:34 PM
interested

can understand those who say "nowhere" as I have always enjoyed my holiday. However, even though this is the case ,places have not always lived up to expectations. I always research where I'm going and therefore build up quite a vivid picture of it. It sometimes does not turn out that way. However, I have been to places that have had a few negative reviews on this forum and have been pleasantly surprised. In life though,don't you find it the case that the outings that you are not really looking forward to, turn out to be the most fun???

Old May 17th, 2002, 02:43 PM
Bob

Duke<BR>you just don't know how "off" you are!!!! As someone who is well travelled I can accept that I won't love every place I visit.( I go on holiday outwith my country at least 4 times a year) Please note that I did say that I enjoyed London. Travel is always an eye-opener, I just felt something was missing was me.<BR>If you think the thread is "stupid" ignore it. With that attitude I'm not really interested in your views anyway!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -