Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which Part of Rome Should I Stay In? HELP!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 1998, 05:52 AM
Sara

I am so confused! There are so many different parts of Rome to stay in that I am having a hard time picking where would be best. Near the Spanish Steps? Via Veneto? Closer to the Vatican? In Old Rome? What I am looking for would be a safe centralized location where we could walk to many attractions/restaurants - we are also traveling with our 4 year old. I am considering La Residenza, Internazionale and also the Crowne Plaza Minerva which all have comparable rates but different locations. Please help!

Old Aug 24th, 1998, 10:44 AM
hamlet

The distance between some of the places you mention is not great. For example, to choose between staying by the Spanish Steps or on via Veneto or Hotel Minerva. It's all walkable and all the neighborhoods are fine. I would recommend though not staying on the Vatican side of the Arno just because more is on the other side of the river. <BR>

Old Aug 24th, 1998, 03:17 PM
Dee

Hi - I am also experiencing some of the same frustration. I am only going to be in rome (unfortunately for 1 nite/2 days before i go to tuscany). I hurredly picked a hotel last week: Sofitel Roma, address 47 via lombardia. I am hoping it is at least in a safe section of town with easy access to the sites for my very short visit. Have you heard of this hotel? Any comments appreciated. I am going in early sept.

Old Sep 17th, 1998, 05:33 AM
Barbara Vesely

I have always stayed in the Campe De Fiore area (the green market) It is a great central location. Close to Pantheon and Piazza Navona. Also not too far from the Vatican and Trestevere. There are several small hotels in that neighborhood. My favorite is the Hotel Campo De Fiore. Also plenty of good restaurants. Try Grappolo D'oro...my alltime favorite. Say Hello to Andrea and Carlo the owners (they don't speak english though) <BR>

Old Sep 17th, 1998, 05:59 AM
Tony Hughes

<BR>If cost is important to you then do not stay in the vicinity of the 'old' centre of Rome. As no-one had cars 2000 years ago, ancient Rome is very compact i.e. all the sights are in one area and are easily walkable. Stay to the West side of Rome over the river and use the frequent trams to get you to the 'centre'. My sister has lived there for a number of years and I have visited many times. A truly remarkable city. Watch the heat , though. Being inland there is never usually a breeze and it can be bakingly hot in the summer months. Feel free to email me for more info ( my sister is a travel rep for a big UK tourist firm )

Old Sep 17th, 1998, 11:21 AM
Richard

Sara; My wife and I have been to Rome 3 times and are in the process of planning our 4th trip, in December. The 1st 2 times we stayed in the area of the Spanish Steps, the last time in trastevere (across the Tiber, the Italian for the Tiber is Tevere). We will definitely stay in trastevere again, a much more "local" feel. Rome is a relatively small city and is very easy to get around, using the Metro. We always felt safe everywhere we went in Rome, at any time of day. One warning, which I'm sure will be repeated, watch out for the "Gypsy children". There have been many posts on this forum about them. By the way, the Arno divides Florence. <BR>

Old Sep 17th, 1998, 12:38 PM
ccbroker

We yesterday returned from Rome and stayed next to the Hotel International on Via Sistina at the top of the Spanish Steps at the Hotel Intercontinental. Loved it but feel the area would not be practical with a four year old as you would have to deal with the "Steps" or a very long hill walk. Loved Rome and hope you have a wonderful trip. <BR>

Old Sep 17th, 1998, 02:28 PM
Flora

We stayed at Albergo Internazionale on Via Sistina last summer and loved it. Regarding scaling the Spanish Steps, there is a lift just inside the Spagna subway station that you can take without entering (paying) for a subway ride. When you are facing the steps at the bottom, take the small street that parallels the steps to the left. It will take you directly into the subway and the lift is just to the right. It deposits you right in front of the lovely church at the top of the steps.

Old Sep 22nd, 1998, 07:12 AM
Jennifer

Hello Sara, <BR>I stayed in a small hotel near the Piazza Navona & we were able to walk everywhere. Enjoy your trip. Jennifer <BR>

Old Sep 22nd, 1998, 07:12 AM
Jennifer

Hello Sara, <BR>I stayed in a small hotel near the Piazza Navona & we were able to walk everywhere. Enjoy your trip. Jennifer <BR>