Which museum in Vienna?

Search

Which museum in Vienna?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2003, 02:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which museum in Vienna?

I have a business trip to Vienna coming up and will have one day free...which museum would you recommend visiting if you only had time for one? Although I have been to Vienna seven times before, I haven't been to many museums. I have been to Schonbrunn and to the Hundterwasser house and museum, St. Stephan's cathedral and several other churches, also to the Musikverein and have seen the Vienna Choir Boys perform on several occasions--those bases are covered.
Thanks!
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 03:33 AM

I'd go to the main art museum -- the Kunsthistolrisches [sp?] -- and enjoy the Bruegels and the Italian paintings. Also enjoy the main rotunda -- there is a cafe on the 1st floor where you can experience this.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 03:41 AM
ira

Hi

You might wish to take a look at http://www.aboutvienna.org/museums/museums.htm
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sfowler and Ira! It looks like that will be the one.
I'm looking forward to this trip even though it's mostly work...there are dinners planned at Steiereck, Morwald, and zum Weissen Rauchfangkehrer, so if nothing else, I'll eat well!
Taking the daytrain this time instead of flying. It's 11 hours v. about 4.5 hours (1.5 hour flight plus checkin, getting to-from the airport, etc.), which makes it a long day of travel, but it will be in a first class seat and going through some nice German and Austrian countryside; ICE train to Frankfurt, then IC train to Nuremberg, then another ICE to Vienna (I didn't know the ICE went to Vienna). I only have 4 minutes to change trains in Nuremberg, but figure that's a win-win scenario--if I make the connection, great, if not, I'll have a few hours to wander about Nuremberg before the next train. It's a city I always enjoy visiting.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 04:38 AM

Hi
do report back on the restaurants--Steiereck is on my list for next year's trip
thanks
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

We ate at Steiereck last year (lunch) and it was very nice, but we actually liked zum Weissen Rauchfangkehrer more. The wine cellar at Steiereck is amazing and they will let you wander around it if you ask. We found the decor in the main rooms more attractive than the rather futzy garden room we ate in. It's possible we would have enjoyed it more if we were there for dinner. Also, although it's supposed to be somewhat difficult to get reservations, the restaurant was half empty on the March weekday we were there.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 06:17 AM

Definitely the Kunsthistorisches - and if you have a little time left over, take a tram to Belvedere Palace (not nearly as far as Schoenbrunn).
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 07:47 AM

Agree with Jenviolin's suggestion of the Belvedere. We went there specifically to see Klimt's "The Kiss" and were glad that we did, but additionally enjoyed the beautiful grounds and view of the city. The cafe has outside as well as inside tables. Had a coffee and slice of Sacher torte, which seemed appropriate.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 07:51 AM

Kunsthistorisches is probably #1 - the brueggel room alone is worth a visit to Vienna.

I'd go to the Museum Quarter instead and to the Schiele museum.

Then again, I prefer modern art.

Coachboy
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 08:52 AM

Agree about Kunsthistoriches Museum. Very good Velasquez, Rubens, and Brueghel paintings.....I can remember horrid Impressionist paintings somewhere in the Hofburg, paintings by Cezanne and the like, but they were done in the very early days of the painters' lives. No masterpieces here.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 09:06 AM

If you like the Austrian Secession art and later, go to the Upper Belvedere or the new Leopold Collection. I never was at the latter but a house guest sent us the catalogue as a thank you gift. It is definitely on our must see list the next time we go to Vienna.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

I might just try and power my way through the Kunsthistorische and the Belvedere. I vaguely remember something about the Klimt paintings going on tour, though, will have to check out that they're still in town.
Thanks all.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 01:41 PM

If the names Strauss, Beethoven, Mozart, and Mahler mean anything to you, Das Haus der Musik is a good place to go for a short visit. Although I thought a little more could have been done, considering the musicians that lived and worked in Vienna, it is an interesting place, if ....

You may not think of Schönbrunn Palace to be a museum, but it is a very visitable place. It is easy to get to with the Ubahn, and the tour is with a handheld audio unit that is available in many languages, including English.

The Kunsthistorischemuseum is fabulous.
Both times I was there a special exhibit was available, once on Karl V and once el Greco. The Belevedere is interesting, but not overwhelming.

The military museum is good only if you like to see the tools of war. Some people seem fascinated with killing machines.

Old Aug 25th, 2003, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

Hi Bob, thanks for the info. I have already been to Schönbrunn (we took the English language guided tour). As for music, of course those names mean something to me, but over the last three years and seven trips to Vienna, I have already attended numerous concerts in Vienna by a variety of orchestras and the Vienna Boys Choir. I'm sure there will be more musical performances at the conference I'm attending.
It looks like the Kunsthistoriche museum will be number one, followed by the Belveder if time permits (and it the Klimts aren't on tour).

Old Aug 25th, 2003, 11:29 PM

Hey - how did Bob Brown make an Umlaut???
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 01:37 AM
Original Poster

I don't know how Bob did it, but I cut and pasted from a Word document.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 02:22 AM
vivaldi

I was not impressed with Das Haus der Musik - great potential not fulfilled.

Visit the Belevedere, but go before you visit the Schönbrunn Palace.

Kunsthistorisches is wonderful, but very large - pace yourself.

Old Aug 26th, 2003, 02:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the Schönbrunn recommendations, but I *have* already been there. Belvedere will be slotted in if time permits after the Kunsthistoriche.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 02:47 PM

Umlauts. I think it is easy. Just hold down the alt key and type the numeric code on the key pad to the right.
Alt+132 = ä
Alt+148 = ö
Alt+129 = ü

Ö is alt 153
Ü is alt 154
and Ä is alt 142

No seeming logic to the sequence.
The French accent and what evers are in there too. Alt 136 is ê

Some editors will not allow them.
My mail reader coughs them up funny.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 06:49 PM

not a museum, but what about the Spanish Riding School? I loved it...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -