Notices

Which London Hotel?

Old Apr 26th, 2003, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which London Hotel?

I am stopping in London for 4 days enroute to Vienna. So which hotel? I can get most listed for about $160 a night. I am going to shop so I want to be in near Oxford Street, Kensington or Knightbridge.

Cumberland Le Meridien?
Copthorne Tara?
Millennium Knightsbridge?
The Selfridge?
Royal Horseguards?
Thistle Marble Arch?

Unless I can secure a good room at the Le Meridien Cumberland, I am leaning towards the Millennium Knightsbridge. What do you think?
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

I am also now considering the LONDON HILTON MEWS since I found a rate for 89 pounds with a rate change to 69 pound on the weekend. I wonder what the catch is since some rooms at this hotel go for as much as 180 pounds....
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 03:31 PM

There's no catch! They need to fill rooms!
I love the Selfridge ..you can fall out of the room and SHOP!

But check some of the smaller lovelier boutique hotels on www.londonnights.com! I'm finding great bargains...but since we have 3 weeks planned in France I can't take advantage...I hope they are still around in March!
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 07:11 AM

I have also been researching the Cumberland and after emailing the property discovered they are undergoing major renovation. They have refurbished their larger Tech rooms but the standard rooms have not been. Other posters have described the standard/deluxe rooms as small & shabby.

I have decided against this property despite it's good location. Hope this helps.
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 07:25 AM

Just as note, I believe the Copthorne Tara is NOT near a tube stop. (I could be wrong, but check... that's an important detail)
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Note to Green Dragon - The Copthorne Tara is a few blockd from the Kensington High Street Station.

Note to Jody - Correct the Cumberland is undergoing renovations and the older rooms are cheaper than the new ones. I had a reservation at this hotel but cancelled it.

Right now I am holding reservations at the Millennium Knightsbridge and the Hilton London Mews. I got a great rate for a single room at the Hilton London Mews on the Hilton websight. I am still also considering a room at the Selfridge but I am not sure if all rooms have a/c.
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

topping...
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 06:39 AM

We stayed in Thistle Marble Arch last January. Nice large 4-star hotel, conveniently located near the metro. We got it on Priceline for US$70/night.
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 07:40 AM

This is interesting. Not being someone who can afford to pay $160 for a room I decided to be adventurous and try Priceline. I got a room at the Cumberland for $60/night in May. Now I wonder just how small and shabby a 3 or 4 star hotel room can get? I'm used to going strictly budget, so luxury isn't expected although I do insist on cleanliness and a good location. I usually travel alone so I'm used to small rooms.

I did see some earlier posters who said good things about the Cumberland. I do know that they are undergoing renovations and have apparently been for some time now.

Will report back when I return, but meanwhile I'd welcome any additional comments on the Cumberland. Has anyone here "roughed it" and stayed in one of those shabby little rooms?

Old Apr 28th, 2003, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Rebeka, $60 for the Cumberland is a great dirt cheap rate. Even if a bit older than theur modern rooms, the rooms will be OK and clean. If not you can always complain but I am sure you will have no problem. Remember this, you got a great rate in a good hotel which is very centrally located and steps from shopping, the park, tube line, restaurants, etc. Unless you sleep in the broom closet how can u go wrong?
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 10:27 AM

That's exactly what I was thinking, too, richardab. Last time I stayed at the Crescent Hotel in Bloomsbury and anything more basic than that can hardly be imagined: a tiny room with shared bathroom, and not even a tv or radio! It was clean and okay otherwise, but I suspect even the worst room at the Cumberland will be a cut above that. It does sound like a great deal to me too and I look forward to staying right by Hyde Park, which should be especially pretty in May.

Thanks for the reassuring feedback!
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Sounds like it will be a good experience. When in May? I am there from May 27-June 1.
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 10:58 AM

In 2001, I enjoyed my stay at the Copthorne Tara Hotel. We arrived around 11:00 A.M. and we only had to wait for about 1/2 hour before we were allowed to check into our rooms. It is fairly close to a metro and in a very nice part of London. The outside needs some major work, but the inside is nice. Just request a room that is not buy the metro stop. It is a little loud if they put you in a room on that side of the hotel. Overall, it is a very good hotel. One note, the breakast they served was ceral and milk.
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 12:15 PM

I stayed at the Cumberland last year, and it was undergoing renovations at that time. The hotel wasn't glamorous or stunning, but it was fine for what I needed. The room was basic and small, with a clean bathroom (always a plus). The Marble Arch tube stop is right next door, which is on the Central Line. The Central Line doesn't link up to a lot of the top tourist areas, but it's easy enough to either transfer from the Central to another line or hop on the tube at Bond Street (on the Jubilee Line).
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 01:06 PM

Richardab, I will be in London May 8-15. By the by, I see you'll be visiting grand old Vienna as well. Lucky you! I hope to return there myself one day. May you have a great time in both of these magical cities!

Thanks for the additional feedback on the Cumberland, CB. It's beginning to sound as if I got a very good deal. As always, I plan on doing a LOT of walking in London, all the better to burn off those English breakfasts and afternoon teas!

Happy trails to one and all!
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Rebeka, by the way the regular rate for that room is about $140 a night. I think this my 6th trip to London. Three of those trip were vacation, 2 business and this one is also business. I have a good deal. All of the biz trips including this one were to go shopping and look for European trends.
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 04:44 PM

I stand corrected on the Copthorne Tara... Sorry!

I stayed at the Cumberland about 6 years ago, and the rooms were small, clean, and perfectly servicable. The concierge and the desk clerks were very helpful, and personable. I would stay there again if I wasn't looking for a specific decor this time around. I had arrived (of course) around 8am, fresh from the overnight flight from Miami, and they suggested that I could leave my bags at the counter (they hadn't a room ready yet) and sightsee, so that's precisely what I did... took the big bus tour around town.

I had no problems with noise, used their laundry service without incident, and enjoyed the buffet carvery-style breakfast they had as part of my package (BA self-directed tour package).
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 04:47 PM

Looking at my notes now, I see its the Copthorne Effingham Park that I had noted as not being near a tube station. Can anyone verify this? If it really is near one, I might stay there...
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

GreenDragon, that hotel is 6 miles from Gatwick and not near the city....

http://www.millenniumhotels.com/mc/h...jsp?hotelId=46
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 12:11 AM

Recently stayed at Copthorne Tara. I liked it fine. Asked for room on high floor away from train and it was very nice. Paid $68 on priceline for double. It is only about a block or so from Kensington High Street tube. Lots of shopping. I am lucky enough to have gotten it again for $60 on priceline for a single room in June. I was used to paying 60GBP for a cute B&B with no elevator. I am very happy to get the elevator and air cond. even if I end up on the tube side this time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information