Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which is which? Braveheart and Robert the Bruce?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 10:04 AM
Bridget in MD

Hi, <BR> <BR>I have a couple pictures from my trip to Scotland in '99 of Edinburgh Castle. These two gentlemen are at the gate at of the castle. Unfortunately I can't remember who is who! Any help would be appreciated! =) <BR>Thanks! <BR>Bridget in MD =)

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 10:28 AM
Jane

I'm not 100% positive - but I believe Bruce is on the right.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 10:56 AM
Dave

If one has an axe and the other a sword, then the axeman is most likely the Bruce. R the B was famous for his skill with the axe <BR> <BR>(I'll if I can find a more definitive anser for you)

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 11:03 AM
Dave

Even better, I believe one of the figures is wearing a crown - this would be (appropriately enough) King Robert and the other, with shield to the front, is William Wallace, aka Braveheart! <BR> <BR>These are the photos I'm basing this hypothesis on: http://scottishculture.about.com/lib...din_heroes.htm <BR> <BR>Dave

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 11:17 AM
Roger

William "Braveheart" Wallace is the greatest warrior in Scottish history, a contemporary of Robert the Bruce. Wallace was a very low level of knight; Bruce was a nobleman. Wallace is most noted for his devastating victory over the English invaders at Stirling Bridge in about 1297. It was a very intelligently fought battle by Wallace, something mis-portrayed by Mel Gibson in his movie. About two year later, Wallace was defeated and continued a guerilla war for several years. He was betrayed about 1305, excrutiatingly executed, drawn-and-quartered and had his chopped-off head, I believe, speared on a pike and secured to London Bridge. Bad Edward I, Wallace's and Scotland's greatest foe, died in 1307 and was replaced by gay Edward II. The ineffectual Edward II was routed at Banockburn in 1314 by Robert the Bruce and the English shackles were broken for a few centuries.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 11:21 AM
Bridget in MD

Thank you so much!! I remember (the pics aren't in front of me presently) that one DOES have a shield! I knew someone here would know!! <BR> <BR>Thank you all! =) <BR>Bridget =)

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 02:15 PM
Joe

Robert: Thanks for the History Lesson. It was very interesting. If you have more, "The Bonny Prince" perhaps, bring it on.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 05:26 PM
Dave

Joe, <BR> <BR>If you want to read about this period of Scottish history, a couple of books you might find interesting are: <BR>"On the trail of William Wallace" <BR>"On the trail of Robert the Bruce" <BR>by David Ross <BR> <BR>These are sort of "geographical biographies", which I thought was an interesting approach. <BR> <BR>I also recently read "The Bruce Trilogy" by Nigel Tranter, and would highly recommend it. Although a historical novel, the details generally corresponded quite well to the non-fiction biographies of the Bruce that I've read. But even if half of the book was pure fiction, Bruce's life would still have been truly amazing. <BR> <BR>Tranter was apparently a prolific historical novelist, having written scores of books spanning much of Scottish history (including another trilogy on the Stuarts that I haven't read, but you might look for if you're interested in Bonnie Prince Charlie). Earlier this year, I read his "The Story of Scotland", which was a very readable "light" history. <BR> <BR>Dave