Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which is the best place between Hungary, Croatia and Czech Republic to go to Greece by train?

Search

Which is the best place between Hungary, Croatia and Czech Republic to go to Greece by train?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2013, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm planning go to Greece in a few weeks, but I'm stuck how. My boyfriend and I bought a train ticket for 22 days in Europe, but I cannot find the best place to live from. By the way, we are going to Hungary, Croatia and Czech Republic and there is no way to get a plane.

If someone knows which country should I get a train to Greece and how long would be the journey, please let me know. I appreciate any help. Thanks!
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 06:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you mean you bought a Eurail pass? That is usually a waste of money for Eastern Europe, where the trains are cheap, and especially for the Balkans, where they are few and far between.

In any case, Greece cancelled ALL international trains back in 2011 as a cost saving measure. Depending on when you are traveling there is a faint possibility of a weekly train from Skopje - see http://www.seat61.com/Greece.htm#By%...ll%20the%20way

Once you get to Split in Croatia you'll be traveling south by bus or boat (see http://www.jadrolinija.hr/default.aspx?lang=2 ) If you keep south through Albania you can take a boat to Corfu, or probably a bus into Greece. You can also go via Macedonia, which I would recommend - don't miss Lake Ohrid. The train will get you to Skopje, and a couple of points south, but you'll need a bus over the border.

I don't understand what you mean about flying. See whichbudget.com and skyscanner.net for cheap flights. And get a guide book! (Lonely Planet, Rough Guide, Bradt or Moon for this kind of travel.)
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 01:30 AM

There are daily buses from Sofia bus station (next to the railway station, more or less) to Thessaloniki, for Greek trains to Athens. One leaves around 10:30, arriving Thessaloniki 16:30.

Working backwards, a train leaves Belgrade at 21:45 with couchettes arriving Sofia 08:02. I was on this only a couple of weeks ago!

There's a daily train Zagreb to Belgrade, depart 10:55, arrive 17:32. Which is also the train I was on. Time for a meal and wander in the evening around Belgrade!

Or there's a train from Budapest to Belgrade at 13:05 arriving 20:52.

Use www.bahn.de/en as your all-purpose online train timetable for Europe.
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 03:07 AM

Also check flights from the cities that you mentioned, they might be cheaper than talking trains and eventually having to overnight somewhere plus the expenses for meals.
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 05:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"I was on this only a couple of weeks ago"

I hope you got across the border faster than I did!! I took the day train and we spent forever sitting around on both sides. We also had a bunch of smugglers on board.... the customs guards made a big point of looking up instead of down, obviously paid off.