Reload this Page >

Which is the best?

Search

Which is the best?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 01:12 AM
Denise

Which is the best?

We are spending our honeymoon in Amsterdam in May and our travel agent has given us the following 3 hotels to pick from...The Park, The Intel and The Amsterdam...The Park seems like the best but also seems far from the "heart" of things. We want to be within walking distance of most attractions...definetly want 4-5 star. Also, how long would it take us on the Eurail to get to Switzerland? Could we make it a day trip? <BR>Thanks! This is a great board!

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 02:35 AM
Sjoerd

Sorry, can't help with the hotels you mention except that the Intel is nothing special; it is a standard tourist hotel. Many people I know think the Hotel de l'Europe is the best hotel in Amsterdam. It is very central. Krasnapolsky gets mixed reviews; as does The Grand. The Amstel is very good but not as central as the others. <BR>No, a day trip to Switzerland by train is not possible. It is about 8 hours to Basle, if I remember correctly. If you want to fly, try www.easyjet.com which has cheap flights from Amsterdam to Geneva.

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 05:01 AM
cj

Denise, I just read your post and we share the same last name. Are you from the US?

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 05:50 AM
cj

To the top, I want Denise to see this.

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 09:20 AM
Larry

This is not one of your choices but newly-wed friends of mine stayed at Blake's Hotel. If you like to be pampered in an old world very small hotel you should look into it. It's about equal distance to Leidseplein/Museumplein (night life- restaurants-museums), Rembrandtplein (nightlife, restaurants) and Dam Square<BR>(neon tourist central) on a quiet canal street. check out http://www.slh.com/netherlands/amste...es_amsbla.html At the bottom of the page are somes codes to help your travel agent. Hmm 24 hour room service and even butler service in a canal house mansion built in the 1600's although last refurbished 4 years ago.

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 09:56 AM
elaine

Denise<BR>Unless you are purchasing an air/hotel package with only 3 hotel choices, your travel agent should not limit you to three hotels. Even airlines packages often offer more than 3 hotels.<BR>If you are going on your own you can choose to stay anywhere.<BR>Trying doing a search on this forum <BR>for Amsterdam hotel. Also look elsewhere on this Fodor's website <BR>for Destinations, and for Hotels/Rants and Raves<BR>good luck<BR>

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 11:58 AM
james

See if you can stay at the Pulitzer - it's made up from about 17 old townhouses - now all modern but with great style, good sized rooms etc. We really loved it, and have been back since.

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 12:52 PM
David

Denise<BR><BR>The three hotels you suggest are okay but none of them are very special for a honeymoon. I agree with James that the Pulitzer is good also look at the Radisson SAS, American, Renaissance, Crowne Plaza all are in good locations and close to everything. Have a look at www.bookings.nl for special offers.

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 01:07 PM
Surlok

The Pullitzer is a lovely hotel and its location is wonderful. I've been to the lobby of the American. Really nice, also as location. I've stayed at the Dikker and Thijs Fenice Hotel as well, not bad, but nothing to rave about, although the location is great.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>S

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 01:31 PM
coco

Denise,<BR> I, too, want to vote for the Pulitzer. It's really a very special hotel(tho now part of maybe Sheraton or Marriott high-end collection).

Old Nov 16th, 2001, 05:50 AM
Denise

Thanks for all of the info...AA has air/hotel package at radisson SAS and Grand Sofitel, SOfitel Demure....I love the Pulitzer, it looks great so I will check it out with our agent...will also check on the Blake hotel? CJA...I am from the US....originally from PA now living in RAleigh, NC.<BR><BR>Thanks for all of the great advice!