Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which is preferred: Hotel de Fleurie or Grand Hotel de L' Univers?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 01:36 PM
Chris

I am trying to decide between two hotels on rue Grégoire de Tours in the Saint Germain area: The Hotel de Fleurie (south of the main boulevard) and the Grand Hotel de' L'Univers (north of the boulevard). Both are three stars. Fleurie is a bit more expensive. Which hotel is quieter? Which has larger standard double rooms? Which has a friendlier staff? Is a street-facing room preferred, or an inner room? Any help would be most appreciated. <BR> <BR>Chris

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 01:50 PM
elaine

If you haven't already, also look for comments at www.paris.org and <BR>www.hotelboulevard.com

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 02:12 PM
Chris

To Elaine: <BR> <BR>Thanks, although hotelboulevard.com had nothing on Hotel de Fleurie. I'm hoping for some responses from someone here has been to or at least seen) one or both. <BR> <BR>Chris

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 06:24 PM
Kate

I haven't been there, but I am booked into the Hotel de Fleurie for the first week of May. I've done quite a bit of reading. The Fodors rants and raves section has quite a few positive comments on it, and it was also a recommended hotel in the Frommers guide. If you haven't already seen it, they have a web site at http://www.hotel-de-fleurie.com/home_us.htm with a few photos. <BR> <BR>When are you going?

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 06:49 PM
manny kaye

I have stayed at the Fleurie many times. The staff of this family owned and run hotel is excellent. However,the standard rooms are very small---spend the extra $$$ for a deluxe room.

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 07:07 PM
Leslie

I stayed at the Grand Hotel de L'Univers on a trip about 5 yrs. ago. It was OK, but you can do better. The room was tiny and I was constantly stubbing my toes. The street was tacky. I would definately pick the Fleurie.

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 07:47 AM
Chris

Kate, <BR> <BR>Thanks for your feedback. <BR> <BR>We're going for about 10-12 days sometime during the last half of May through the first half of June. <BR> <BR>I went to the Fodor's Rants and Raves section here, but there was only one comment on the Fleurie. Were you looking at another section? Maybe I missed something. <BR> <BR>Did you reserve a standard double room or something larger? A comment by Manny above indicates the standard doubles are very small. However, we had already expected whatever room we book in this area to be small. Their web site shows a standard double room at 1050 to 1250 FF and the deluxe room at 1500 to 1700. If we could have the standard double room pictured ("Chambre Double") for 1050, which looks small yet sufficient and nicely furnished, I think we'd be happy. <BR> <BR>We are also wondering about the street noise and whether to get a street-facing room or inner room (and on what floor). Any thoughts? <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR> <BR>Chris <BR>

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 12:55 PM
Chris

Also, is the optional breakfast at 50FF per day per person at the Hotel de Fleurie worth it, or are we better off getting it elsewhere? Thanks!! <BR> <BR>Chris

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 01:08 PM
Wendell Ramsey

I've seen them both but not stayed in either, and the Hotel de Fleurie looks nicer. Hopefully someone here can answer your questions. <BR> <BR>Cheers, <BR>WR

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 06:11 PM
Kate

Chris: <BR> <BR>We just booked the standard room. They are charging us the 1250. They said that was the rate for high season... We were already pushing our budgeted amoutn, so I didn't think the extra space was worth the extra $$. <BR> <BR>The site where I saw the comments was Paris.Org and not Fodors. Sorry for the confusion.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 07:24 AM
Chris

Kate, <BR> <BR>Thanks for the response. They quoted us 1250 for a standard double too. I'm about to book for 9 days. Did you specify a particular room (such as street-facing vs inner, or a certain floor)? Since it appears you're returning before we leave, I'll expect a full report! <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR> <BR>Chris