Which hotel in Lisbon

Nov 2nd, 2001, 01:02 AM
Alice

Which hotel in Lisbon

Fodorites that know Portugal and Lisbon, could you please advise what is the ideal location/hotel for a female solo traveler in Lisbon? Is Av. da Liberdade better, or Chiado? I'm undecided, should I book the Avenida Palace, the Britania, the Lisboa Plaza, the Regency Chiado or Metropole?

Thanks,

Nov 2nd, 2001, 07:07 AM
RALF HARTZ

WE HAD A WONDERFULL TIME IN THE A
VENIDA PALACE IT IS AN OLD WORLD GRANDHOTEL WITH EASY ACCES TO ALL THE NICE PLACES IN LISBOA

Nov 2nd, 2001, 07:12 AM
Patrick

Despite many recommendations, we were sadly disappointed with the Metropole. We had a room with carpet that had been flooded and had huge "waves" in it that we'd trip on when we walked across the floor. The beds were broken down and very uncomfortable. The shower and sink were rusty. We had a toilet seat that was broken in half. We asked for it to be replaced but it never was during our three day stay. They told us they had parking, which ended up meaning they would show us a place on a street where we could leave it and not get a ticket. We chose a big underground garage instead for a very expensive fee.

Nov 2nd, 2001, 07:48 AM
Phyllis Stein

Alice, take a look at Don and Linda Freeman's website, thetravelzine.com. They give a detailed description of the Britania in their Portugal 1997 travelogue, as well as lots of other interesting information.

Nov 2nd, 2001, 08:09 AM
Ines de Castro

Alice, if you would permit me, I would recommend to you the Hotel Mundial at Rua Dom Duarte 4. It is near Baixa just a 3 minute walk from the Teatro Nacional. The best thing about this hotel are the absolutely astounding views of historic Lisboa from the rooftop breakfast room. You will find no other hotel in Lisboa with such views. If you ask when booking, you can try to attain a room with a view of the Castelo Sao Jorge. At night when the castle is lit, you will have a very romantic view. This hotel is also very safe and there are many grocery stores in the neighborhood where you can make purchases. It is also central to everything in downtown Lisboa, with a metro stop just down the street. The number is 01-886-31-01, fax:01-887-91-29. Ate logo.

Nov 2nd, 2001, 08:36 AM
Davy

We recently stayed 2 nights in the Metropole and 1 night in the Regency Chiado. Certainly the Metropole is a little "faded" to put it mildly - although the staff were very pleasant. The Regency Chiado was superb - we enjoyed the views of the city from the hotel's roof terrace and bar. We had a great room with terrace although some of the other rooms we saw as we passed on the corridor seemed smaller, with smaller windows.

In terms of being a single traveller - the night we arrived at the Metropole (at about 1.00am) we met a lady trying to get into the hotel. She had a key but it didnt work. She had been ringing the bell for some time and no-one appeared. We had a mobile phone and we rang the hotel to get someone to come down and let us in. The reception is on the first floor so there is no porter at the door. The Regency Chiado had a night porter at the door so maybe you would feel more comfortable there?

The location of both hotels is very good.

Nov 2nd, 2001, 09:37 AM
Alice

Thank you all, for the advise.I rulled the Metropole out. Ines de Castro, I'll try to check the Mundial rates, and if there are rooms available for my dates.
Ralph, is the Regency Chiado walking distance to most of the touristic sites? Did its location look safe to you?

Again, thanks,

A

Nov 3rd, 2001, 08:58 AM
Paulo

IMHO the Av. da Liberdade is somewhat safer at night than Rossio or Chiado. Both the Hotel Lisboa Plaza and Britania appear to me as good choices.

Nov 3rd, 2001, 08:36 PM
Gigi

Alice, I was in Lisbon a couple of years ago. It is a truly beautiful city with much to offer. If I were to return, I would, without question, stay at the Hotel Lisboa Plaza. It has a great location where you would feel very safe at night. I personally would not stay in the Baixa. It was a little removed for my tastes. Baixa offers incredible views, but those can be enjoyed during the daytime.
Make sure you ride the trolleys. They offer perfect transportion within Lisbon
and will take you into the lovely, older parts of the city. I highly recommend the Coach museum, the finest I have seen in Europe. It is near the Jeronimos Monastery, also a "must see".
If you have a day, Sintra is enchanting. See the Pena Palace. It is in a Moorish style and very well done.
Enjoy one of my favorite countries!
Gigi

Nov 3rd, 2001, 08:41 PM
tuki

Allice - I've stayed at the Tivoli Hotel on the Av. da Liberdate 5 ot 6 times and have never been disappointed. I'm not sure how expensive it is now. They also have a hotel called the Tivoli Jardim which is right behind it. I always felt safe there. There is always someone at the door.

Nov 3rd, 2001, 09:02 PM
Alice

Thank you Ralf, Patrick, Phyllis, Ines,Davy, Paulo, Gigi, and Tuky, for the precious advise. You have been all very helpful.

Lisbon, here I come,

Alice

Feb 17th, 2002, 02:41 AM
George

Hi,
Anybody have any info on the buses that travel from Lisbon to Seville Please? Days of the week, times etc.

Thanks

Mar 6th, 2002, 12:42 PM
Gilda

Definitely , I would recommend the Avenida Palace. The location is the BEST, right across the street from Rossio. The buffet breakfast is excellent and the rooms very comfortable. Staying at this hotel helped made my stay in Lisbon unforgettable.

Search this Thread