Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which Direction Does Vaporetto Travel in Venice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2003, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I want to take Route #1 Vaporetto from the train station to Hotel Accademia (Accademia Stop?), do I take the vaporetto on the Canerregio side of the Canal? How do I know that I am not taking the water bus towards Piazzale Roma rather than towards San Marco?

When vapretto travel from the station to Lido, do they stay on the S. Croce/S. Polo side of the canal, while vapretto going from Lido to the train station would stay on the north side (S. marco) of the canal?

Old Sep 6th, 2003, 06:26 PM

Firstly, if you ares tayign at the Pension Accademia you will have a wonderful time. It was the most beautiful hotel we stayed at in all of Italy. You can take #1 or #82 to Stop Accademia. When you exit the train station there are several docks with the boat you need but only one of the two boats goes the correct way. Just check above you where the big signs are posted to confirm. It all makes sense once you see the sign. Have a geat time!
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 11:32 PM

When you come out of the train station you want to catch a vaporetto (1 or 82) that is travelling from your right towards your left. And yes they are very clearly marked on the landing docks. We too loved the Pensione Accademia - enjoy!
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 03:38 AM

Another suggestion is to get a map of Venice and look at the train station and your hotel stop. Then, you will see that when facing the Grand Canal, you will want to be heading left to go towards your hotel. It just might make more sense to you if you see it.
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 05:50 AM
ira

Hi John,

A map of Venice can be found at http://www.multimap.com

Vaporetto routes and schedules are at http://www.actv.it/eng/home.php
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 05:56 AM
jmv

ira, you always seem to have such useful info. I don't recall seeing you on this board until after registration started. Are you new since then or did you have another screen name before registration?
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 06:23 AM

John at each vaparetto stop, the boats go in both directions. As others have said, you want to be going to your left. Certain stops are on one side of the canal, others the other side. For other trips, if you should find yourself on the wrong side, there are traghetti at 6 points on the Grand Canal (they look like gondolas) where there are no bridges that will ferry you across.

If you will be in Venice for a while, consider buying a 3 day vaparetto pass (18e) that allows you unlimited use for 72 hrs.

Walking from the Accademia stop to the hotel, (head right) you will have one small bridge to cross. At the other side of that bridge, turn right & the hotel will be at the end. Enjoy Venice!
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

McLaurie:

Grazie - I just thought that the vaporetto only stops at certain ones in each direction.