Which day for a day trip to Honfleur

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We arrive Paris on a Friday and are staying for 6 nights (we'll have an extra full day later in our trip before we return home). Outside of Paris, we're interested in visiting Versailles and Honfleur. Can these be on the same day? Also, which day(s) during our week would be best for this travel (weekend vs. mid-week)? We do not plan on a car.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 06:49 PM

We took the commuter train years ago from Paris to Versailles and spent the better part of the day there. Honfleur is in the north of France so technically speaking, you could do them in the same day...if you stayed overnight in Honfleur. You'd be getting there pretty darn late.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 06:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
honfleur is a delight. Dine by the harbour. I would guess weekends will be the most crowded.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 06:54 PM

I'd do them separately. Honfleur was lovely. There is only one place that I tell friends who might be traveling with me that I won't go to and that's Versailles. I put them on the RER and send them on their way and I stay in Paris and shop the day. Versailles just wasn't my cup of tea. Happy Travels!
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 09:04 PM

Honfleur is worth the trip, but not with Versailles on the same day. There is so much to see at Versailles and on the coast you should probably return to France for more. You could then do Honfleur, D-day beaches, Mont Saint Michel, Etretat, etc when you can really enjoy the area.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 05:06 AM

Watch what you order in Honfleur restaurants! If you order a beer and the waiter asks "would you like a large one?" you can end up with a VERY large one that will cost you 20 euros. It is on the menu, but it's a very sly trick!

Roger
http://www.fermedecandeloup.fr
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 05:43 AM

Guenmai, I'm with you on Versailles. Just too overrun. but for those who must do it, I'd surely skip the interior which is the most overrun of all, and just do the gardens and grounds. Even that, however, should not be combined with Honfleur, since it will take at least half a day.

Honfleur, OTOH, is terrific and even though it's very touristed, it's worth battling the crowds for. But to minimize them as much as possible, do it on a weekday, probably Wednesday so you even avoid the leftovers or early starters doing long weekends.

I don't know about train connections in Honfleur. You may have to go to Deauville or another town nearby and cab to Honfleur. Once you get there, it's wonderfully walkable. Anyone with experience in getting to Honfleur without a car? (BTW you'll be glad not to have a car in Honfleur once you get there. Parking can be tough.)
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. Yes, there's a train that leaves St. Lazare and does not go to Honfleur, but a Trouville/Deauville stop. It's a 2 hour trip, then a short bus or taxi ride. I see no train connections with Versailles (my teens would like to see it, and none of us have been). We'll just have to split it up.

Any suggestions for a great seafood lunch/dinner in Honfleur that will not be $$$$?
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 01:47 PM

You don't need a train to Versailles, only an RER--or is your comment about a train that will go from Versailles to Honfleur (which I have to say is not a good idea even if it exists.)
Restaurants abound in Honfleur, all over the harbor/basin area. I'll look up the names of places we ate and liked and send them, but you will do fine just looking at menus and plates and deciding what looks best to you as you stroll by. That's actually part of the fun of the place.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 02:16 PM

For seafood in Honfleur:

One of the very best seafood places nearby is in Trouville, just across the street from the fish market--Les Vapeurs. A real bustling bistro with major platters of fruits de mer. If you get in late by train, consider staying in Trouville for a walk around and lunch.

In Honfleur itself I once favored La Grenouille. It's cute, has a nice semi outdoor terrace and is on the harbor rather than the basin, but it's resting on its laurels and the food is not what it once was.

Our lunch a year ago at Ascot directly on the basin was, however, quite good. Tables tightly spaced but good service, of course fabulous view, and good fish terrine followed by pot au feu of fish.

Entre Terre et Mer away from the basin and up the hill toward the church/square looked cute and classy but food really minimal and service abysmal, so skip it too.

Les Vieux Honfleur, OTOH, was also terrific. Again, directly on the basin, but on the other side from the Ascot. Although there are more places to eat on the right side of the basin (facing it with your back to the harbor), it is also the prettier scene with the tall slate sided narrow buildings, so eating at one of the places on the left side, affords the best views. By this time, however, we had sort of OD'ed on seafood, and while we started with wonderful oysters, we had chicken in cream sauce with morels for our main course and I can't comment on the seafood offerings. I can say that the service was fine and the food excellent.

Wherever you eat, if you have a view of the basin you'll remember your experience and enjoy it while you're having it.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 02:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Watch the weather report on the news and just go to Honfleur whenever they say the weather will be fine out there.

It is charming on a rainy or cloudy day, but that is not necessarily what you are looking for.

Don't forget that Versailles is closed on Monday.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 07:11 PM

My best Parisien friend drove me to Honfleur and Trouville and Deauville(sp?). It was a really great day. we went either at the end of March or first week in April one year and Trouville and Deauville were like ghost towns. Wonderful.
We lunched in Honfleur, the only people in a really cute seafood restaurant, and then had crepes and apple cider(?) in Deauville.
If you end up being able to only do one... Versailles or Honfleur/Deauville/Trouville, then I'd, without a doubt, skip Versailles and go to the other places. Have fun. Happy Travels!
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

This is why I love this forum! I was reading someone else's trip report recently and picked up the idea of Honfleur (I believe it was a gentleman who took his adult children to France, there were all of these great photos to browse). I had never heard of it or considered it before - and now all of this feedback leaves no doubt that this is worth a full day of our itinerary.
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 10:53 AM

What you like is very personal, but I would go Versailles and see inside and out. Go as early as possible. Take the RER (I think it's name is VICK).
It's like the Leaning Tower, if you have the chance, go for it.
Make Honfleur if you have the time. There is soooo much to see in Paris itself, you may just have to make a second trip!
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

We are going to go to Versailles also - I'm planning on Sunday, then the visit to Honfleur on Tuesday. Versailles is not so far that we can't also spend part of the day in the city. I would like to go early, rent bikes, and do a nice tour of the gardens with a picnic.

For Paris, that leaves us Friday (tired 1st day), all day Saturday, part Sunday, all day Monday and Wednesday. Then another day at the end of the trip. Since we did a lot of the major sights on our 1st visit to Paris, I feel comfortable with this.
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 03:35 AM

We went to Honfleur by train to Dauville/Trouville, then bus to Honfleur last month. The bus stop is just outside the train station. It was a nice bus ride for 6.40 euros roundtrip for two people on one ticket.

It is cheaper to get one ticket that you validate for the number of people in your group than getting a ticket per person. The woman at the bus ticket office was very helpful even though her english was very basic.

Good travels.
Old Jul 30th, 2008, 09:58 AM

I'm enjoying reading the info on Honfleur..... My family and I will be leaving this Friday for Paris. We'll be visiting Giverny on day 12. How long is the drive from Giverny to Honfleur and then to Etretat? Will this be too much for one day? We plan on getting to Giverny early morning (as the Gardens are opening). Thanks!
Old Jul 30th, 2008, 10:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Pleasant and not excessively long drive.

Plot out the possibilities on www.viamichelin.com