Reload this Page >

Which Country is your Favorite?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2000, 07:20 PM
Terry

Would like to hear everyone's favorite European country and/or area and why. Thanks

Old Oct 23rd, 2000, 07:45 PM
Patrick

Well, London is in a class by itself --my favorite place to return again and again. Other than that, France and Italy are the best for me. Have been to every country in Europe, and enjoy them all, but my first choice for return visits always seems to be either France or Italy (or a little of both.) Judging from the numerous questions and responses on this site, I'd guess I'm not alone in those thoughts. Why? The food, the people, the scenery, the general mix of historical significance mixed with modern amenities and overall friendliness.

Old Oct 23rd, 2000, 07:55 PM
elvira

I'd have to say - wherever I visit next. I *always* like the last place I visited the best...until the next trip.

Old Oct 23rd, 2000, 09:05 PM
Tangata

Going to Europe without going to london would be unthinkable. After that the Highlands and the Lake District. <BR> <BR>Across the Channel for me it is a close call between Austria and Switzerland.

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 07:42 AM
lisa

France. I should say that it's because of the art, the architecture, the scenery, the history, etc. And yes, those are reasons 2, 3, 4, and 5, but to be honest, reason #1 is because of the food.

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 07:45 AM
Litsa

I'm from the UK, but I love going to the Greek islands. I always choose the quiet, relaxed, laid-back islands, and the reason is that the lifestyle is just so different from what we have here in the UK. <BR>In the UK, it's all rush, rush, rush. How much money can you make - for yourself or your employer? How quickly can you get things done? How can you get ahead and beat the competition. It's the whole rat race thing - and they have very little of this on the Greek islands. Most people work for themselves, or in a family business, and things generally work at a much slower pace. <BR> <BR>I'm planning to live there for 6 months next year, so I'll submit a post when I get back - to say if the experience is the same for months as it is for a week/fortnight!

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 07:59 AM
Linda

If a country, then Germany is my favorite. The diversity of terrain, the culture, the small villages, the friendly people, the cleanliness, efficiency of rail travel, the history (good and bad), proximity to other countries are all the reasons. Of course, I had the privilege of working with a number of German friends and that could color my choice somewhat. They were from all parts of the country and I was able to see it through their eyes.

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 09:55 AM
Amanda

Italy!! Great food; great, cheap wine; amazing scenary; wonderful people (eager to help in any situation); history; art; general attitude!! After that, Greece (food, people and scenary) and Germany (scenary, clean, efficient - but we have friends there so I may be prejudiced). My opinion on England: wet and cold, terrible food, unfriendly people, expensive. France: great food and wine, unfriendly people, less expensive than England but more than Italy, beautiful scenary.

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 10:36 AM
Rose

Italyitalyitalyitalyitalyitalyitalyitalyitalyitaly italyitalyitalyitalyitalyitaly

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 11:47 AM
Bob

Germany has it all. Scenery, history and very very clean. Great food. After that it would be Italy, then England. <BR> <BR>Main point is that all of the countries have good attributes and are enjoyable if visited with an open mind.

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 12:31 PM
I Love Everywhere

I have this bad habit. My favorite country is the one I am in at that moment and my favorite trip is the one I just finished. I find nothing but good things everywhere I travel. Guess I am just an optimist, but I can not understand how people travel and then come back and bitch about where they went. Look for the bright side and understand that it ain't like home; if it was why in the world would you even go?

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 12:33 PM
Anon

Amanda <BR>with your attitude towards England is it any wonder that you see English peoples as unfriendly? They probably would be to you. <BR>Hope you didn't eat any beef while there...would not want you catching the "mad cow disease" ps I'm not English

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 12:52 PM
peter

Italy. Not just because the food, wine, people, history and scenery are perfect, but because it "touches my soul." I know that sounds really really corny, but the place just feels right and sometimes i feel like i belong there and was born in the wrong place. That's how i judge my favorite place. I hope you find yours too!

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 12:58 PM
janine

To Amanda: <BR> <BR>"My opinion on England: wet and cold, terrible food, unfriendly people, expensive. France: great food and wine, unfriendly people, less expensive than England but more than Italy, beautiful scenary." <BR> <BR>Having just returned from London (my first time) and Paris (I've been there several times) a month ago, I wonder if we were in the same countries. <BR> <BR>I went to London grudgingly (because it's not Paris) and found: Beautiful weather (except for one rainy day); good to great meals; nice, courteous people; expensive. I would go back any time. <BR> <BR>I've always found in Paris: Great food and wine; kind, helpful people; less expensive than London; beautiful surroundings. It's not a question of going back there; the hard part is to return here. <BR> <BR>Incidentally, my daughter (whose name is also Amanda) just returned to the States after a year at university in London and is already missing it. <BR> <BR>Sorry you found all the unfriendly people.

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 01:06 PM
unfriendly

The thing about London: The people ARE unfriendly and rude. They don't speak to anyone and they don't move out of anyone's way and the pedestrian's don't have the right of way and they are snobby. Food, er, well it's gotten better apparently but it ain't Paris. That is on a collective level. On an individual basis they are extremely funny, friendly and good listeners. I get along better with them than any other people in Europe. Not just because of the language either.

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 01:09 PM
Art

Some choice!!! I love Germany for all of the reasons voiced above, Hungary for the most beautiful city that I've been in, Austria for Salzberg, Italy for Rome, Venice and Florance, Holland for the Tulips, cleanliness. In fact, I don't know of any countries that I've visited that I don't love, but most of all the USA where I keep coming back to because it is unique on the planet, the least socialized, the most freedom to suceed or fail, the least Government (although we still have way to much). <BR>

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 01:11 PM
kk

I believe everybody's likes/dislikes of places are almost totally individualistic. What draws me to a place may not draw you, and vice versa. <BR>That being said, here are my favorites--England and Germany and Austria (in a three-way tie). Second, Italy and Russia (two-way tie). <BR>It is hard to explain why exactly, except for England. That one is easy--I know so much of the literature and history and architecture, all of which I admire very much. Germany and Austria mostly because I feel at home there (many of my long-ago ancestors were Germanic, so that is a possible reason). Italy because it is gorgeous, ancient and delightful to be in. And Russia because it is exotic, haunting, and tragic...and because my degrees are in Russian history. <BR>Funny that this question was asked late last night because I woke up thinking about what my three favorite European countries are. I wake up and see photos and etchings from all those places every morning and it makes me start my day right.

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 01:29 PM
Angela

Terry <BR>For me France wins, the food is good and all of the countryside beautiful. The people in the small towns and villages are friendly and helpful, esp. when attempting some French. The country is so full of character. I also love Belguim, a highly underated country. Bruges for me is one of the most beautiful small towns in Europe, and the Grand Place in Brussels one of the most lovely places...I remember someone else posting similar things about Belguim on another posting. <BR>I'm sorry that Amanda had such a bad time in England, but it is a little mean to post such comments which are also unfriendly and cold - perhaps if you keep away from Macdonalds next time then you might appreciate the diversity of the food here and not find it so terrible <BR>Angela

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 05:55 PM
Rebecca

I have to put a word in for Spain! Beautiful language, friendly, wonderful art, and dramatic countryside, varied depending on where you go. Also, inexpensive. Just stay away from the Mediterranean coast and you'll be fine. I love Portugal too. There you can go to the coast, at least in June, and have some space, and views, to yourself. But inland is also full of interest and history.

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 09:42 AM
Terry

I've only been to England, France, Greece and Germany and I believe Germany is the best due to lower prices, good food/beer, nice scenery, and friendly locals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -