Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which country is most friendly towards American tourists?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 02:59 AM
Anna

What do you think?

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 03:47 AM
elaine

Every one I've been to: <BR>Greece, Italy, UK, France,etc. Really, a whole country isn't all one way or another, you meet individuals, and like everywhere else, sometimes you meet nice people, sometimes you don't. Mostly I do.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 04:56 AM
Liam

I agree with Elaine. It is not a country by country thing (although my personal experiences with both the Irish and Australians makes me think that they produce an inordinately large number of friendly souls). But you can find nice people anywhere (and you can, unfortunately, encounter some nasty people). <BR> <BR>What often determines whether or not "the locals" are friendly to you is how friendly you are with them. A smile and a friendly, "bon jour" or "merci" will open doors faster than a booming American voice.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 08:35 AM
Jesse

<BR> <BR>The country that is most friendly towards American tourists is the U.S.A.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 08:57 AM
Michelle

The Maltese have been the friendliest people I've encountered abroad. Not just some of them, either. Everyone I met in Malta was extremely pleasant and helpful.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 08:58 AM
sylvia

Well, I was in Chester today and saw two teenaged American girls. They were dressed in neat and tidy cream trousers and plain coloured shirts with short sleeves. They politely asked a passing man to take a photo of them. When he had taken it one of them said, "thank you sir". You'd be lucky to get a "sir" from an English youngster. People had stopped passing by so that he could take the photo and they both thanked everyone politely. They received smiles from everyone and friendly comments and good wishes. <BR>I imagine that when they get home, they will tell everyone how friendly English people are.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 09:22 AM
really

Anyone who says the USA is the most friendly toward American tourists obviously has never been to New York City. (Unless you believe that NY isn't part of the USA.)

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 10:21 AM
Joe

After years of world travel, I have to say we have received very good treatment in every Country we have visited. I firmly believe that politeness begets politeness. However, I have to say that the consideration and friendliness of the Irish and the Scotch is unequaled anywhere.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 10:32 AM
Thyra

We also get treated with an amazing amount of friendliness where-ever we go... oh sure you get the odd rude person, but you get them anywhere... I agree with the above, a polite please and thank you in the hosts native tougue will help tremendously.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 10:49 AM
Capo

I've found people to be quite friendly in every European country I've visited but if I had to pick the friendliest I've experienced, I'd go with the Dutch.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 10:51 AM
Wyn

Hands down, the most friendly towards tourists is Ireland.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 10:52 AM
xx

They hate everybody else though!!!!

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 12:45 PM
Susanna Smith-Thorne

I have found New Yorkers to be very friendly and helpful. Some of you watch too much tele, and have never been to New York, so you speak out of ignorance. I have also found the Belgians to be very nice to everyone.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 01:16 PM
HavingTroubleWith

Belgians? BELGIANS? Rank right up there with the Norwegians in being unfriendly, as far as I am concerned.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 03:37 PM
richardab

I have been treated well in all the countries I have visited (France, Germany, Spain, Italy, The Netherlands, UK, Austria) but the two places that stand out as the friendliest were Munich, Germany and the Alsace region of France. In both places I felt like I was an honored guest or had lived there all my life.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 03:37 PM
boris

<BR>Without question: <BR> <BR>ALBANIA <BR>bORIS

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 03:48 PM
Ivan

<BR>Really's comments on New York are typical of the provincial attitude that people with porovicinial thinking have about the major cities of the world---even though they have probably never left their immediate areas <BR>of ignorance <BR>Most of the people you find scurrying aorund a great city lke NY are not from New York but from some backwater and when they are elbowed by some other provincial think they are being atttacked by a (my God) liberal. crazy. artistic. left wing New Yorker <BR>Real--or whatever you and all the other provincials ofthe world are pitiful <BR> <BR>Ivan

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 03:52 PM
Buyer

Let me guess Ivan... your from New York aren't you??? Hmmmm.. wanna talk sterotype?

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 04:35 PM
Art

This topic has been done to death!(sorry Elizabeth). Really, I've had wonderful experiences everywhere I've traveled. I ran into a couple of rude Parisians and a rude Austrian 30 years ago. These were very isolated instances and the only other trouble I had was in Sweden when a young lady chose to leave with me instead of another young man. People in general have always been great, very friendly and helpful in my experience. As mentioned above, politeness begets politeness. <BR>Cheers, <BR>The Bear <BR>

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 04:50 PM
susan

I vote for the Irish - friendly & they go out of their way to be helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -