Which coastal town in Turkey??

Old Jun 11th, 2024, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which coastal town in Turkey??

My husband and I are looking for a coastal town in Turkey for early September and I'm all over the place.
We're going from Istanbul to Cappadocia and then want to spend some time on the coast.
We are looking for scenic, quaint charming and authentic area with beaches/swimming, great Turkish restaurants (toes in the sand dining would be a plus). We don't want big resorts or a modern area..we want to feel like we're in Turkey instead of any beach resort area. We'd like to have dinner and then possibly listen to some local live music, but not into clubs.

We were looking at:
Bodrum -too large/too many resorts?
Fethiye
Alacati/Cesme

Any of these? Anywhere else we should consider instead?
Thanks for any help!
Old Jun 11th, 2024, 05:06 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We enjoyed Fethiye.
Old Jun 12th, 2024, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks HappyTrvir, did you happen to go. to Bodrum for a comparison?
Old Jun 12th, 2024, 11:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Here's an excerpt from a trip report I wrote fourteen years ago. If things are the same, I think you would findmore of what you're looking for in Kas. Fethiye is a large yachting center, beautiful, but maybe not exactly right. With a grain of salt, as it is an old report.

That [scheduling difficulties] reduced Fethiye, a rather large resort town, to an overnight. We stayed at the Ece Saray, a very comfortable hotel with a wonderful view over the harbor to the mountains. We ate at a little place near the fish market. You buy your fish and they cook it for you for 5TL. They offer a full range of mezes and sell raki, beer and wine. Driving can be a little confusing in Fethiye -- especially if you are using a map printed UPSIDE DOWN in an edition of Lonely Planet.

On the drive to Kas we stopped at Letoon, Xanthus and Patara, three ancient Lycian cities. The first, dedicated to Leto has the remains of three temples and a small mosaic. Xanthus is much larger, boasting several unusual tombs and a large mosaic floor. The guidebook says to allot three hours to it, but I don’t see how. Forty-five minutes is more like it. The last site, Patara, birthplace of St Nicholas is extensive but only small sections have been excavated. There is a beautiful sandy beach a little ways down the road.

Kas is a much smaller town than Fethiye. The setting on a wide bay with the Greek island Kastellorizon in the distance is idyllic. Winding streets climb the hill in town. The major activities on offer are sea kayaking, hiking, para-gliding etc, but most people seemed to just enjoy themselves on the little beach club platforms set across the road from the hotels. We stayed at the Medusa, one of many hotels east of the harbor. Kas seems to attract a fashionable crowd, but they welcomed us anyway.

We had come for the sea kayaking, but it was not to be. My wife had developed a cough and didn’t feel up to it, and my son came down with a nasty sore throat which developed into a chest cold and kept him up all night. We made the best of it, taking a small boat across the bay to a beach club for the day, but it was still a little disappointing.

We ate at Bahce and Bahce Balik, two restaurants across the street from one another, both run by the same family, one offering meats, the other fish, with varying mezes. The marinated sea bass here was exceptional, served in a lemon-olive oil dressing studded with capers. Both highly recommended.
Old Jun 13th, 2024, 10:27 AM

Will completely low key with no standard hotels work for you? We loved Cirali when we visited 10 or 15 years ago. Here is a little newer article I found. It was a refreshing area to visit because we truly felt that the Turks sold the soul of their coastline to developers of ugly, large-scale resorts.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2...od-return-trip
Old Jun 13th, 2024, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Fra Diavolo, this is very helpul.
Julies, Cirali looks amazing, I will definitely read up on it, thank you!
Old Jun 13th, 2024, 03:57 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, Bodrum was more crowded.
Old Jun 13th, 2024, 05:44 PM
kja

I enjoyed Kas immensely, but was there in 2012 and so can't speak to what it's like now. I found it easy to get into/out of, not far from a number of very enjoyable sites, nice to walk around, some good restaurants....

I spent a night in Cirali on that same trip and so again note that my experience might not reflect what it's like now. FWIW, Cirali struck me as a great place for families or those seeking a hippie-style hangout. It is (as I recall) at least 15 minutes along a VERY twisty mountainous road from the turnoff from the main road -- and that turnoff is quite a ways from anything else. Then, depending on where you are staying, you might have another 10 or 15 minutes drive to your lodging. At least that part is along a fairly flat and reasonable straight (and not very interesting) road, but you have to be very alert as there are children and cyclists and people walking (or running) into or across the road with apparent disregard for cars. And BTW, in my very short time in Cirali, I didn't even see the shore, which was out of sight of the road.
Old Jun 13th, 2024, 08:59 PM

Yes to what kja has to say about going down a windy, twisting road to get to Cirali. But, I can't understand the part about not ever being able to see the shore because we were by the beach.
Old Jun 13th, 2024, 09:03 PM
kja

Originally Posted by julies
Yes to what kja has to say about going down a windy, twisting road to get to Cirali. But, I can't understand the part about not ever being able to see the shore because we were by the beach.
I'm sure it depends on where one stays. Where I was, a road separated the lodgings from the beach and there was a small rise on the water side that prevented view of the beach / water.
Old Jun 14th, 2024, 06:21 AM

we stayed in kalkan for 13 days in 2022 and loved it. we want to return it was that good. we are american and most of the folks in kalkan are british. great beaches, beach clubs and boats for hire. delicious food and great shopping.
Old Jun 14th, 2024, 07:29 AM

Fethiye would be the best option. You can find unspoilt beaches and authentic restaurants. "Ölüdeniz" and "Kelebekler Vadisi" are must-see.
Other than these you can go to Kaş which is located in Antalya. With great views and restaurants.
Old Jun 14th, 2024, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the great responses..Falkan looks stunning too (although we were hoping for more Tutks than Brits while in Turkey).
Is renting a car the best option?
Old Jun 14th, 2024, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Also, has anyone been to Gumusluk? I'm curious how it compares to Fethiye/Kas area which I'm leaning to now based on all of the feedback. And if we do stay in Fethiye/Kas, which would be the better of the towns to actually stay in (while visiting the other)?